Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Murph Day.......

Murph

Guest Farnsbarns

One thing I've learned is to NEVER argue with a 5 year old.

Ever.....

I didn't know Flight's kids when they were 5 but I certainly wouldn't recommend arguing with them now. They work as a team, one distracting you while the other sabotages.

Joking aside, great kids, an absolute pleasure to be around. I wouldn't argue with Flight if I were his kid either.

Guest Farnsbarns

I dunno about kids.

Smell bad and pass on diseases. <grin>

Not to mention that they're expensive.

Yup. I don't have any for a number of reasons - not inability to have had some.

m

Same here Milo. I really enjoy my friends kids in small doses but I know I don't have the patience long term. People tell me I'd get used to the prospect but quite apart from the patience I just don't have the inclination to put the effort or money in to it that it clearly takes. Self centred? Yup! But I'm only depriving a hypothetical person(s) who, as a result of my feelings on it, will never exist.

I've come over all defensive ;) , I do get a lot of negative responses to my take on it.

Interesting to hear from an cou-older-gh guy who hasn't got kids and feels no regret.

Farns...

Actually there are some of us of all age groups who don't care to carry the responsibility of bringing kids into a world. Reasons differ. In my own case, I very much dislike the way I see population pressures and culture headed.

My ancestors always kept heading to less-populated places regardless that it also means less money and less "safety," but with more freedom - regardless that they also were generally pretty cool about what others did as long as they didn't step on their toes. In the U.S. the family name dates back obviously prior to the first documented birth in 1680. It'd take high six figures in dollars - or pounds sterling for all that - to get me to move back to that region of the country - and even then... I'd pretty much rather croak poor.

Our New England state of New Hampshire has the motto of "live free or die," but I personally think they're far too crowded to live free. That's obviously subjective. It's also one of four states in New England that were fine by my folks up to around 1855 or so when the first milod headed west as a teenager when it was obvious just how crowded and citified it had become. So far as I know, my little brother's boys are the only ones to carry on the family name after well past 300 years. I've no idea how many girls married and had kids carrying other names. So regardless the genes are spread sufficiently as we become more crowded and citified like you folks in the U.K.

For others, I think it's just something that doesn't fit lifestyle priorities.

We all make our choices in life. Whether later we figure they were right or wrong, we can fill ourselves with regret or smile and do the work of the day and plan for tomorrow and next week.

If we figure next week that we've blown it... fine. Fix it if possible and if not, just keep goin'.

m

Archived