Gibson Brands Forums

Homz Would Be Proud.

Murph

Bought a 2015 Jeep Patriot Latitude. It's the High Altitude 4X4 (FD1, 6 speed), leather, moon roof, all the bells and whistles Union built in Belvidere Illinois. Actually it's the wife's, but I'm also driving Mopar (Ram 1500 4X4). No pictures yet, they all look the same.

This is probably the last year of the Patriot and she likes the boxey Jeep look as opposed to the newer Cherokee, Escape, CAR looking SUV's. I've driven it a little and really like it. Our hunting cabin has a rough road and she was needing the extra ground clearance and the 4X4 will be nice for her as well.

If I still drank, I'd buy a round on Homz, even if he was a lefty.......

Nice! Yes Homz would be proud. I miss him. He was taken from us too young. Neo would be proud too because it's called a Patriot!

I do have a story about that type of car. I bought my wife a new BMW X3 less than two years ago. The tires are already shot, which peeves me off to no end. BMW wanted $1,600 to replace them! I almost cried. I took it to the guys that normally work on my vehicles. After an extensive search, they told me that they couldn't get the tires any cheaper. There is only one tire that will fit that particular model and make. So, I have to fork over the 1,600 bucks, until someone else starts to make tires for them.

So my car guys told me that this same exact thing happened to the Patriot when it first came out. Now it's not a problem because other tire manufactures are making the tires for them. But it's just another sneaky way for the car manufactures to get you. From now on, I'm going to ask about this before my next new purchase.

Murph...

I can understand the wife liking the smaller Jeeps...

Mine is madly in love with her old plain-jane Cherokee. I think she'd prefer a complete upgrade of the one she has than buying anything else, regardless of cost.

OTOH, it's the perfect size for a 5-foot girl who has two storebought hips, a storebought knee, two remanufactured feet and other internal combustion work. That's the girl, not the Jeep. <grin> It's hard for her to get into my Grand Cherokee...

m

Murph...

I can understand the wife liking the smaller Jeeps...

Mine is madly in love with her old plain-jane Cherokee.

I love those older Cherokees.

The new Cherokee is pretty cool, but she didn't like the look, and the Grand Cherokee is getting very expensive.

The Renegade that is supposed to replace the Patriot is all new and kind of quirky from my research.

I wish Jeep would build another truck, even a small one.

Are you starting trouble?

[wink]

Ha...my days of starting trouble are long gone. That is what three young kids will do to you. :rolleyes:

Got to say, life is pretty good. Family is great. Still got my Les Paul and finally found an amp that I love (Two Rock Studio Pro). Try to play every night. Sold my tele and picked up a Strat.

Can't really complain. Well I can, but I won't

Chrysler and Dodge get a lot of bad press. But I must say in my prime earning years, I purchased new vehicles every 3 years. Ford trucks, Chevy Blazers mostly. All were reliable and comfortable, but boring. Last vehicle I purchased new and still drive every day is a 1998 jeep Grand Cherokee ltd with the 5.9 L (360cu) and every option available back then. Man is that thing fun to drive, all time 4 wheel, hauls a$$, only stranded once and that was a dead battery.

Now I take care of my vehicles and have had minor problems and parts replacements over the years, just part of the maintenance nothing to send me to the poorhouse. Since I stopped country wide driving for my work in 2006 the Jeep only has 68,000 miles on the odometer. I can't speak for other jeeps because I have read about a lot of QC issues. No QC issues on this 5.9 best vehicle I have ever owned and will never sell it.

Regarding the plain jane boxy Cherokee, I had several friends and neighbosr who own them and everyone of them loved their Cherokee. Very good, non complicated build but very sturdy.

Tires are inexpensive too about $400 or less total.

Markini...

RE your '98. Likely similar to mine. Great vehicle but a cupla weaknesses to watch for, at least up here.

1. Grand C or Boxy C, after a certain year it seems they are programmed in their little silicone brain to be more sensitive to low battery power. My old Grand Wagoneer would start if there was just a flicker of juice in the battery if it were six or seven years on a five-year "guarantee." Here where it gets cold in winter, figure 3-4 years on a 5-year battery of appropriate size.

2. Where I live we tend either to run the heater or the air conditioner. Not enough altitude (as where my little brother lives) where the air conditioner is silly if you have shade. Anyway, the heater/air fan dropped dead. No problem, right? Wrong. It hadda be replaced with like a $1,200 combination "assembly." Sheesh, what a change from when three to five screws out, new fan in, screws back in and the juice reconnected...

(Then again, that's all part of why my wife wanted the most plain jane Cherokee possible.

m

Markini...

RE your '98. Likely similar to mine. Great vehicle but a cupla weaknesses to watch for, at least up here.

1. Grand C or Boxy C, after a certain year it seems they are programmed in their little silicone brain to be more sensitive to low battery power. My old Grand Wagoneer would start if there was just a flicker of juice in the battery if it were six or seven years on a five-year "guarantee." Here where it gets cold in winter, figure 3-4 years on a 5-year battery of appropriate size.

2. Where I live we tend either to run the heater or the air conditioner. Not enough altitude (as where my little brother lives) where the air conditioner is silly if you have shade. Anyway, the heater/air fan dropped dead. No problem, right? Wrong. It hadda be replaced with like a $1,200 combination "assembly." Sheesh, what a change from when three to five screws out, new fan in, screws back in and the juice reconnected...

(Then again, that's all part of why my wife wanted the most plain jane Cherokee possible.

m

Interesting when my battery died, it still had enough juice to turn the engine over, but it wasn't enough. I'm sure you know the distinct sound of Chrysler / Jeep starters

Yep heard about that fan problem and sure enough mine went out a few years ago, thank goodness it was only a relay. Did have problems with water pumps and serpentine belts. A very good mechanic found out the belt adjuster was never set properly and was causing belt and water pump problems. Biggest expense was a U joint and still not bad. Replaced the front half axles too was only a few hundred.

Regarding batteries I put in the biggest amp rating it could handle, compression is high and you feel it when it starts, The Jeep has been garaged all its life.

Even though I do scheduled maintenance and oil changes. I ran her hard the first 40,000 miles between LA and San Diego. Typically made the run from San Clemente to Camp Pendleton at 95 to 100 mph. One time made the run from my brother's driveway in Culver city to La Mesa (137 miles) in 93 minutes includes city and freeway. Once I hit the 405 just put it at 110 mph, never busted.

been 10 years since I abused her. Now a days I prefer the two lanes next the fast lane at 70 mph, faster if I am holding up traffic. I am 63 and have lost my taste for speed.

I am keeping an out for that fan problem.

Yeah, the serpentine is a problem. I just plain shattered an original pulley on the alternator. Of course that was at 130,000.

As for speed... Back on '03 I ran down to Fort Carson, Colo., with some of the boys to greet the homecoming of our local National Guard unit.

The spedo was registering around 110 between Cheyenne and Denver - and - oddly the little readout above the windshield claimed I was getting around 35 mpg. oddly it did seem as if I needed to buy less fuel per the miles on that little trip. but I'm with you... I guess I'm getting as old as the Jeep is in dog years. <grin>

It's a good little vehicle and I've gotta talk nice about it. I'll run it until I've gotta shoot her to put her out of her misery. Kinda like the good old mare that still can run barrels or handle breakaway roping at 24 but finally just gets ... tired ... and needs the long sleep.

I do wish I'd just put the cash into a complete renovation of the old Grand Wagoneer. but my lady and I have pretty much determined our current Jeeps will hold us until we croak, and better to keep 'em in good shape than swapping for something that ain't been as faithful.

m

Bought a 2015 Jeep Patriot Latitude. It's the High Altitude 4X4 (FD1, 6 speed), leather, moon roof, all the bells and whistles Union built in Belvidere Illinois. Actually it's the wife's, but I'm also driving Mopar (Ram 1500 4X4). No pictures yet, they all look the same.

This is probably the last year of the Patriot and she likes the boxey Jeep look as opposed to the newer Cherokee, Escape, CAR looking SUV's. I've driven it a little and really like it. Our hunting cabin has a rough road and she was needing the extra ground clearance and the 4X4 will be nice for her as well.

If I still drank, I'd buy a round on Homz, even if he was a lefty.......

he was a righty, or at least he played righty

Archived