Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special 2015

awel

I am thinking to get an SG Special 2015 I have tested it yesterday and even if the wider neck feels a bit strange at first touch, the finish is amazing, love it looks.

But ... with issues I have seen about 2015 Les Paul and the fret zero, I am a bit afraid I don't like to buy something new to modify or repair it directly.

does anyone already get one?

Hello Awel!

Don't hurry! Wait a week or two. If You are still excited about it, buy it...

...meanwhile, think about it: do You really need one? Will it add anything new in any way to Your collection of instruments?

;)

Cheers... Bence

Hello Awel!

...meanwhile, think about it: do You really need one? Will it add anything new in any way to Your collection of instruments?

;)

Cheers... Bence

Bence, no one needs a new guitar, but whether they'd like one is a different matter. If you can afford it, you want it then buy it. I can't imagine many people sitting in an old folks home regretting buying a new guitar but I'd bet there are a few who whish they had when they still could do. You only live once, bugger leaving your money to your relatives, they'll only spend it!

Ian

Bence, no one needs a new guitar, but whether they'd like one is a different matter. If you can afford it, you want it then buy it. I can't imagine many people sitting in an old folks home regretting buying a new guitar but I'd bet there are a few who whish they had when they still could do. You only live once, bugger leaving your money to your relatives, they'll only spend it!

Ian

Hello Ian!

I can't argue with that! :D

You are right!

Cheers... Bence

Hey, a New (or, new to you) SG is always NICE! [biggrin] Whether you "need" one, or not! I can't say a

thing about that, as I bought 4 SG's, in one year, after not owning one, for about 40 years! Why I waited

so long, was due to several legitimate reasons. But, I have NO regrets, on my recent SG fever, and purchases.

Having said that, play as many as you can, same or different models, and see if they really do appeal to you,

enough, to spend the funds needed. I.E. not an "impulse" purchase. SG's ARE Great guitars, no doubt!! As

to whether or not they're really for YOU, only you can decide! I'm not enamored over the "Les Paul" scrawl,

and/or the new "zero fret" nut. But, that's just me. And, I prefer the more traditional "holly head" (crown) headstock

inlay, and a bone nut. As to the wider fingerboard...I'm sure you'd get used to it, in pretty short order.

Have Fun, trying them all out!

CB

Hello Awel!

;)

Cheers... Bence

For sure nothing, but don't you have that feeling that some days you feel more like a Fender (single coil) lover where you find everything sounds better on a Fender, that it is more comfortable and stuff and some other days you find the same but about your Gibson?

So for sure with a Strat, a Tele, a Brian May, a Robin(handmade superstrat) and a Les Paul I have more than what I need but I find that every single guitar has something special, the touch and feel of a SG is different from a Les Paul, with his advantages and inconvenients, the SG is light and even if I don't so often as when I was in a metal band play in the upper frets the last frets are easy to play, but ... SG has that big inconvenient that the head is heavier than the body and so you always have to keep the neck in your hand or the neck will slowly go down. And ... the jack input on the top of the body ... ok this one is cosmetic :)

The Les Paul sound is so thick and smooth (especially on the black Custom) but it weights a dead horse and the upper fret are not so easy to get.

all of this to say there is always a good reason to buy a new guitar ;)

Cheers

Al

Hey, a New (or, new to you) SG is always NICE! [biggrin] Whether you "need" one, or not! I can't say a

thing about that, as I bought 4 SG's, in one year, after not owning one, for about 40 years! Why I waited

so long, was due to several legitimate reasons. But, I have NO regrets, on my recent SG fever, and purchases.

Having said that, play as many as you can, same or different models, and see if they really do appeal to you,

enough, to spend the funds needed. I.E. not an "impulse" purchase. SG's ARE Great guitars, no doubt!! As

to whether or not they're really for YOU, only you can decide! I'm not enamored over the "Les Paul" scrawl,

and/or the new "zero fret" nut. But, that's just me. And, I prefer the more traditional "holly head" (crown) headstock

inlay, and a bone nut. As to the wider fingerboard...I'm sure you'd get used to it, in pretty short order.

Have Fun, trying them all out!

CB

That's the point I already have a 2008 std and a 61 reissue and I loved both of them but gears come and go :)

At the local shop they have that 2015 special that I find so good looking, I have tried it and even if the neck is a bit wider, I don't think it is a big deal. I don't care about the G-force and to be honest I have had a 2014 std that I sold because the E-tune never worked for me, guitar was never in tune the G was higher than the rest, so I bring it back to the shop and pick a Tele, so if I buy it, I will try the Gforce but if I don't like it, I will replace it by std kluson.

On the other hand they have still for a very good price a 61 reissue (999€) but ... (life is hard) it's a faded model, and I would have prefered a 'normal' one :(

So I am a bit hesitating.

I wrote a review of the 2015 SG Special. I'm really thinking of getting one.

http://searcysw.blogspot.com/2014/11/my-take-on-2015-sg-special-and-new-30.html

Hi Searcy,

Yes I have read it, thanks :)

I know you like the minetune and so I guess the Gforce, and I have nothing against but I have had a bad experience with the etune so I am afraid and the thing that scared me the most is the issue someone with a 2015 Les Paul has revealed about the zero fret

For sure nothing, but don't you have that feeling that some days you feel more like a Fender (single coil) lover where you find everything sounds better on a Fender, that it is more comfortable and stuff and some other days you find the same but about your Gibson?

So for sure with a Strat, a Tele, a Brian May, a Robin(handmade superstrat) and a Les Paul I have more than what I need but I find that every single guitar has something special, the touch and feel of a SG is different from a Les Paul, with his advantages and inconvenients, the SG is light and even if I don't so often as when I was in a metal band play in the upper frets the last frets are easy to play, but ... SG has that big inconvenient that the head is heavier than the body and so you always have to keep the neck in your hand or the neck will slowly go down. And ... the jack input on the top of the body ... ok this one is cosmetic :)

The Les Paul sound is so thick and smooth (especially on the black Custom) but it weights a dead horse and the upper fret are not so easy to get.

all of this to say there is always a good reason to buy a new guitar ;)

Cheers

Al

Hello Al!

Yes, right. That's why I dreaming of a 7-string LP Classic, a ES-Les Paul white top...

You might say these all are still Les Pauls. But still, having the Recording, the Classic Custom, and the 50s Tribute, I know they are very different. I like the shape more than any other guitar's. :D

Good hunting!

Cheers... Bence

Hello Al!

Yes, right. That's why I dreaming of a 7-string LP Classic, a ES-Les Paul white top...

You might say these all are still Les Pauls. But still, having the Recording, the Classic Custom, and the 50s Tribute, I know they are very different. I like the shape more than any other guitar's. :D

Good hunting!

Cheers... Bence

Exactly :)

Guitar addict we are, lol

Archived