Gibson Brands Forums

Jim Decola interview discussing 2015 range

Mikey P

Try a 2015 Firebird V for a wide, flat neck.

My next NGD will be another Martin.

I haven't tried one of these 2015s, so I can't speak from experience. But I have always liked the narrow, thick 50s style neck of my Les Pauls over the wide, thin, blade type Fender neck. So I don't see myself liking the new Gibson necks as much.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to pile in on the guy too much - I mean at face value the adjustable nut and bridge seem to have merit (if they work properly), wider frets/no nibs may be good in its own way, if the G-Force were optional instead of mandatory (at a $$$!) I reckon in time they'd sell c50% with them, and I assume (hope) the hologram and scribble are one-off's for 2015..... but, I'm sure I wasn't the only one smiling to myself when he struggled to get the removeable 'finger rest' off [biggrin] (I mean FFS, you either prefer the thing on or off - its a 'one time' decision, not...'ooh, today I think I want it on' kind of thing - or maybe there going to start flogging all sorts of custom colours, textures, etc so you can 'custom accessorize' in this world of the almighty 'individual'...)

anyhoo - assuming people swallow the price hike, the neck width will be the key thing - will it become a status symbol (are you 'man enough' to handle a Les Paul)?, or maybe it will just make a Les Paul feel much less comfortable and playable than just about anything else the aspiring purchaser test drives? to their credit I hadn't realised they'd reduced the thickness of the neck to compensate till I saw this video - maybe that will lessen the impact.

..Im not going to buy a Custom Shop anything.....Im not paying any more than what I paid before $1899. There are so many homeless Les Pauls that would be happy to live with me for that price.......

And there you have it.

I was just looking at ebay LP Customs and (I'm in UK) though they're mostly a bit more than $1899, with deals like that I wouldn't consider a new 2015 one. Take a good look.

I was in Guitar Village today. You can buy a LP without the G-Force but it's some kind of special reissue and more expensive.

On the other hand, I do understand that lots of people just cannot tune a guitar......

Well, Gibson USA can STILL hit one, out of the park, now and then. The 2013 year, was awsome, for SG's (IMHO),

with the "Original," "Captain" Kirk Douglass SG Custom, and the '61 "Les Paul" SG Tribute! So, they CAN

still do that! WHY they don't, more often, is less clear. :rolleyes:[unsure]

I guess, my feeling is, on the flagship or traditional models: "IF It Ain't Broke, Don't 'Fix' It!"

Make other models, for your "experiments" or "pushing the envelope" ideas!

CB

Well, Gibson USA can STILL hit one, out of the park, now and then. The 20013 year, was awsome, for SG's (IMHO),

with the "Original," "Captain" Kirk Douglass SG Custom, and the '61 "Les Paul" SG Tribute! So, they CAN

still do that! WHY they don't, more often, is less clear. :rolleyes:[unsure]

I guess, my feeling is, on the flagship or traditional models: "IF It Ain't Broke, Don't 'Fix' It!"

Make other models, for your "experiments" or "pushing the envelope" ideas!

CB

In my humble opinion you hit the nail on the head. During 2013, it was not only SGs where even the Frank Zappa "Roxy" model was a Gibson USA guitar, but also the Les Paul Traditional.

When about changes, I think that the really good ones will stand the test of time. In my guess most of the recent ones will fail at doing so.

This seems to be the general consensus here. It just remains to be seen how long it takes Gibby to respond to all this. Not too long I hope, before irreparable damage has occured. To the company and the reputation.

From what I have heard, Gibson force its distributors to have a certain amount of stock in order to be able to officially sell a Gibson (as im sure Fender and some of the other do)...

So I doubt it will be an issue in that way...

I think the only telling sign of what they think and how they will react is when the new 2016 model info turns up.. Until then I don't expect Gibson to change anything. If they did all of a sudden in Q2 or Q3 change the specs, id be mighty surprised.

And I don't really think they should.. As said, they have committed to this for at least this year and probably have all the parts in stock... And there WILL always be people out there who do like a wider and flatter neck...

But I still think that Gibson USA should offer a bit more choice in neck style.. Its one of the main reasons I love my LPs so much.. The amazing necks they have ...

So, no bass talk allowed in the Lounge then?

Thanks for the heads up on the location of the bass forum, I was having so much difficulty locating it :P

You can talk about it all you like :) youd need to make some sort of statement or ask a question if you want to know anything or have anything to say...

We have a few bass players around but not too many...

I mean I play bass sometimes but don't know much about Gibson basses and certainly not any changes made for 2015 if any..

So, no bass talk allowed in the Lounge then?

Thanks for the heads up on the location of the bass forum, I was having so much difficulty locating it :P

Well, in contrary to guitars, there's just one bass subforum here, but - you wanted it, you'll get it! [rolleyes]

This is about older bass guitars but with some of the main features still present in the actual model line.

When I got my first four string EB 2013 coming with DeCola humbuckers as they do still, I was deeply disappointed. The E4th sounded badly impure from the 7th fret on, the A3rd from the 10th fret. At first I thought that maybe the strings were to blame, but it was the same after restringing. It's a string pull problem due to the strong rod magnets. I replaced the stock pickups with EMG TB-HZs which revealed a huge difference. Later I bought me a second one including the EMGs from the start and use one of them EBs each with roundwound and flatwound strings.

Another point is Gibson's obviously missing corporate knowledge about correctly tooling ash timber. The poor surface quality is clearly visible even on the 2015 promotion pictures. Ash is the only common tonewood without crosslinked grain fibres. Therefore tooling across the grain may cause splicing. They know it well at Fender since decades. Gibson rarely used ash in the past, so they would have to learn the hard way but didn't up to now. Any cabinet maker could tell them, and I think a luthier should know that, too. Anyway, the both of my EB 2013 play and sound great with the EMGs but look just poor.

Unplugging the jack or pulling the pots caused the pickguard warping upwards, so they went with using jacks placed in the rib from 2014 on. My solution for the 2013 was adding three more pickguard holding screws.

I also own two SG basses, one made in 2011, one in 2012. Their neck pickups screws are just for decoration, they don't carry any magnetic field due to being positioned above the middle of the magnet. The neck pickups also had a buzzing and rattling tone due to vibrating against the cover. I put self-adhesive felt stripes to both sides of the screws, and the rattling is gone.

Geez mate, they sound like a bucket of...well, you know. Have you thought about getting a Fender bass, that's all our bass player uses. Swears by them.

Ive had a squire P-Bass for about 10 years.. It cost me £125 and I swapped to SD Bass pups and ive never thought of getting any other bass as its all I have needed and never let me down and plays perfectly [thumbup]

20013 year? You time traveling again Charlie? I know what you mean though 2012 2013 where the best years for The Classic Custom the Classic the Signature T and the Traditional, all so perfect makes you want to cry when you think about it. :(

LOL [lol] ...I just (now) noticed the extra 0, Donny! [blush][tongue]

Geez mate, they sound like a bucket of...well, you know. Have you thought about getting a Fender bass, that's all our bass player uses. Swears by them.

Fender '65 Mustang Reissue Bass here. Sadly, they discontinued this fantastic shortscale model again. <_<

Ive had a squire P-Bass for about 10 years.. It cost me £125 and I swapped to SD Bass pups and ive never thought of getting any other bass as its all I have needed and never let me down and plays perfectly [thumbup]

Cant go wrong with a P Bass Rabs :) and Bassline pickups are the best of the best for sure. Got an Iron Maiden rig there.

My main bass since 6th of April 1982 is a 1982 Ibanez Blazer BL 700 NT with stock P-4 pickup. Soon I added a DPDT series/parallel switch then. Later I found out that Hellmut Hattler had done the same to his one! :)

Is that one of those Japanese ones? I remember when Ibanez used to be good guitars and basses made in Japan. Jackson Professional were made in Japan at the same Fugi plant. Those are the good ones, no great ones. Today they make those same models in Indonesia how sad. I think the ATT customer care operators work there as a second job.

Both the Ibanez Blazer and the Fender 65 Mustang Reissue were made in Japan. Along with my third Japanese guitar, my 1986 Ibanez RG 430, the are the by far best crafted instruments of mine. The latest one says "The Ultimate Expression Of Craftmanship" on the peghead, and indeed she's just that.

Both the Ibanez instruments were made at the Terada factory. I wasn't able to find reliable informations on the factory site of my MIJ Fender.

Archived