Gibson Brands Forums

Jim Decola interview discussing 2015 range

Mikey P

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, the both of my EB 2013 play and sound great with the EMGs but look just poor.

I will heartily agree that the finish is my least favourite thing about my EB. I don't have the beef you had with the sound or any issues with string pull.

Unplugging the jack or pulling the pots caused the pickguard warping upwards, so they went with using jacks placed in the rib in 2014 but strangely went back in 2015.

See, this is news, I didn't know that! For all the website shows, the EB and the Midtown are cancelled.

I also own two SG basses, one made in 2011, one in 2012. Their neck pickups screws are just for decoration, they don't carry any magnetic field due to being positioned above the middle of the magnet. The neck pickups also had a buzzing and rattling tone due to vibrating against the cover. I put self-adhesive felt stripes to both sides of the screws, and the rattling is gone.

The TB+ masquerading as a mudbucker I never understood. The TB+ has a bark in the midrange that is better suited to being in a middle or bridge position, it gets kinda boomy and woofy jammed up there at the neck. It's all opinion though, and whoever signed off on it obviously thought it was great (and I've heard others agree). I had one on my Midtown Standard, but I replaced it with a DiMarzio Model One.

Geez mate, they sound like a bucket of...well, you know. Have you thought about getting a Fender bass, that's all our bass player uses. Swears by them.

They sound like a bucket of bass to me. I swear at Fenders. Only kidding, but they do nothing for me at all.

Still, nice to see this isn't one of those rabid, slavish brand forums where anyone who dares bring the brand into disrepute is mob wrestled to the ground, kicked to death and thrown out of the back of the truck ;)

The twelve string version would be the matching guitar for playing Hard Luck Woman, one of my KISS favorites.

Sorry, neepheid, I have to correct myself with respect to the non-existant EB 2015's jack position. The picture headlining the basses obviuosly is a 2013 which mislead me:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass.aspx

They seem to use the redundant pickups for the Thunderbird 2015. <_<

They sound like a bucket of bass to me. I swear at Fenders. Only kidding, but they do nothing for me at all.

Still, nice to see this isn't one of those rabid, slavish brand forums where anyone who dares bring the brand into disrepute is mob wrestled to the ground, kicked to death and thrown out of the back of the truck ;)

Yeah its good like that here (mostly ;)) just don't mention nibs :D

And its what the lounge is all about.. as long as you stay away from politics and religion you can talk about what ever you like (well within a certain amount of reason anyway).. If you post about say I donno, knitting techniques just don't expect many (serious) answers ;)

Donny...

I'm laughing at myself here, but your point about wanting what you want is what made me laugh.

My major complaint with Gibson and Gibson concept electric guitar controls over the past 50 years is that we lack a master volume control on board such as on a Tele or Jazzmaster where we can play and use a pinkie finger to adjust volume on the fly.

m

That video still doesn't answer the question why the Gibson USA guitars are getting that huge price increase, which is quite laughable. 3100 euros/dollars for a Les Paul Standard is way too much. But that's just me...

The price increase reflects the fact that Gibson hasn't really increased the price of their guitars for about 10 years now despite two federal raids, property seizures and a flood that destroyed their factory and inventory. Instead they have focused on keeping production costs down by offering cheaper and cheaper finishes, gig bags instead of cases, laminated fingerboards instead of solid wood and alternative types of wood.

For your price increase you're now getting a much better finish, a hardshell case, and adjustable nut, a thicker and wider fingerboard made of solid wood, titanium bridge saddles, properly finished fret ends and like it or not a brilliant robotic tuning system. When you compare the new prices against Gibsons American competition like fender PRS and Rickenbacker it's easy to see that the prices are not out of line.

The price increase reflects the fact that Gibson hasn't really increased the price of their guitars for about 10 years now despite to federal raids, property seizures and a flood that destroyed their factory and inventory. Instead they have focused on keeping production costs down by offering cheaper and cheaper finishes, gig bags, laminated fingerboards and alternative types of wood.

For your price increase you're now getting a much better finish, a hardshell case, and adjustable nut, a thicker and wider fingerboard made of solid wood and like it or not a brilliant robotic tuning system. When you compare the new prices against Gibsons American competition like fender PRS and Rickenbacker it's easy to see that the prices are not out of line.

But why all across the line? And why from 2014 to 2015? You're paying 800 euros more for a Les Paul Standard compared to last year. There's nothing to explain this really. Let's compare the two:

My 2014 LP Standard has a AAA maple top. A hardshell case, no gigbag. A good tuning system. A nicer fretboard, because it's not absurdly wide. Nice attention to detail. Fretted over the binding. Killer sound.

The 2015 has a zero fret nut that is poor quality thanks to the material it is made off. All the other changes are esthetics, and some extra alternative tunings stored in the tuning system.

They should have kept the price in the 2300-2500 euro range. 3100 is outragious. Lack of choice is a thing here, too. No longer are there affordable Standard Les Paul. They are almost the same price as a Custom. Now, the Custom Shop will have to start making more guitars, faster and this could be a bad thing. Less QC, and you need to have serious money to get a normal looking Les Paul.

I just can't wrap my mind around this, sorry. I have the money, but I know plenty of people that would love to buy a Les Paul, but can't pay 3100 euros for a Standard.

Well, I just sold my 2015 LP Deluxe. I just didn't see it holding its value like other years. I sold it for around $300 less than I paid, and I consider that a huge win. By the end of the year, I think the discount prices on brand new ones will be way less than I sold mine for slightly used.

The zero-fret nut was a good idea, although it clicked and apparently a lot of them are having to be replaced under warranty. The G-Force was useless to me, as I pretty much use standard tuning on everything but my ESP. I hated fighting the motor to tune it by hand, and the gear ratio was awful. Too damned complicated! I had to read the manual to accomplish anything, even a routine string change. The neck width was tolerable for me, even though my hands are on the small side. It sure was pretty, though!

Fender has got some of my money already this year, and Gibson will most likely get another shot at some. I think I'm going to buy one of the new SG XTRA Slims that come without all the new 2015 "features".

hated fighting the motor to tune it by hand, and the gear ratio was awful. ".

Haha, yeah imagine the battery is dead and you break a string on stage.. It would take you half an hour just to wind it back to tune by which time the gig will be over :P :)

Standard gear ratio is 14:1 on manual tuners.. The robo tuner is 40:1 :o that's just crazy..

Haha, yeah imagine the battery is dead and you break a string on stage.. It would take you half an hour just to wind it back to tune by which time the gig will be over :P :)

Standard gear ratio is 14:1 on manual tuners.. The robo tuner is 40:1 :o that's just crazy..

Yeah, as soon as the battery starts to get into the "yellow" territory, charge it. When it gets into "red" territory, the machineheads are not functioning well, and you will be forced to charge the thing. Breaking a string, would be awful on stage. You basically would need to have a back-up.

Please apologize my ignorance, but do MinE-Tune and G-Force allow for using crank winders without causing damage?

Not sure man, so im just as ignorant :)

Cant see why it would be a problem though as long as you don't go crazy on it?

Not sure man, so im just as ignorant :)

Cant see why it would be a problem though as long as you don't go crazy on it?

Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but I dislike techs using motor winders for stringing. Crank winders are OK for me in general, and I sometimes use them, too, up to now on manual machine heads only. No robo tuning here...

Please apologize my ignorance, but do MinE-Tune and G-Force allow for using crank winders without causing damage?

There is a wind and unwind feature that you're supposed to use for string changes, so you don't need a string winder at all. You just push the correct series of buttons to activate it.

Archived