Gibson Brands Forums

Mystery archtop

Triumph

Hello !

Im looking to identify this mystery guitar that was bestowed upon me recently. It doesn't show any brand name or other signs.

The person that left it upon me passed away recently. He claims he bought the guitar around 1960 (possibly 1950+ from other accounts), in a Gibson-oriënted store.

Research on the serial number only came up with ''made in 1960-1965'', it also indicated that it could possibly be a Gibson, yet i remain unconvinced!

The original price was around a couple hundred dutch gildens (so 200-300 dollars) and was bought in Amsterdam

Im curious whether or not this type, the model, etc is known to anyone at all. If it remains a mystery, I plan to restore it myself.

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/LoDuL (Bridge, complete, headstock and bridge sticker)

Information I found:

- Headstock is brandless, in the back it shows the number ''9 1341'' as shown on one of the photos.

- Inside the guitar you can find pencil markings spelling: ''8476 L'', ''847G L'', ''8476 I'' or ''847G I''.

- On the bottom of the hardwood bridge you will find a tiny sticker with ''No 463 P'' on it.

- The tuning machines are made from simple iron or old steel with simple adornments on it.

- The bridge and neck are definitely hardwood, and imperfections suggest handmade produce.

I'm aware that this might not be the designated forum for my question, but I'm convinced you can do it! (or at least exclude some suspicions)

Thank you!

Triumph.

It's definitely European and in the 50s or 60s. Germany, Poland likely. Egmond guitars were made in Holland but I will say this is NOT an Egmond.

Many German guitar makers made guitars for retailers under contract and many had no name or identifying marks.

Hello Triumph!

The unique f-holes, and the headstock are clearly indicate it`s a Melodija.

By the way, I am looking for a similiar instrument to experiment with. I am looking at Hungarian jazzboxes from the 50s at the moment.

Cheers... Bence

Thank you all for your insights! Melodija seems to be spot on.

Interesting to know!

Ill be using it for a restoration project. Itll be fun, seeming that the parts are widely available!

Greets,

triumph

That is a good thing....as my parts drawer is void of any Melodija parts. I guessed European , but had not a clue! The WWW is a beautifull thing.

Beautifull guitar also. Good luck with the resto [thumbup]

Thanks guys! the instrument means alot to me and i'm happy it's of some acclaim!

I will definitly be posting pictures of the restored guitar/ the restoration proces. I'm just waiting for it to get a little warmer outside (because i don't have any other workplace, haha) so i can take it to my garden.

The website sells all sorts of parts. I've even written them already about supplying me with a brand-specific logo template or stickers for the headstock. let's hope for the best!

Greets,

Triumph

• 3 months later...

Hello again guys!

It's been a couple of months, and i felt indebted to you for your insights.

The restoration has taken place. I've coated it a candy red, makes it look unique in my view. I've stumbled upon a set vintage 50's Schaller mechanics, which happened to fit nicely. Today I finished the polishing (+- 50 hours of work with 2000 grain sandpaper) and I felt enthousiastic about sharing it here.

I hope you like it! http://imgur.com/IHOL4k3

Cheers and good evening,

Triumph.

Archived