Gibson Brands Forums

Who owns one of the 50 SJ's that were part of the John Thomas run

fp

If anyone here owns one of these I have some questions for you.

I have a SJ that I thought was one of these. It originally came from Wildwood In Colorado. All they can tell me is the one I have is a 43 Reissue.

I've always thought it was one of the 50. Mine looks to be exactly the same as one of the 50.

Anyway would like to talk to another owner and ask some questions.

Nick, yes to both the label and the ink stamp. I bought it second hand and their was no COA with it and the first owner never got one.

All Gibson will say is the serial number shows it's a Southern Jumbo. I would love to post pictures but I've tried to post pictures of other guitars at this forum and had no luck.

All Gibson will say is the serial number shows it's a Southern Jumbo. I would love to post pictures but I've tried to post pictures of other guitars at this forum and had no luck.

Here ya go: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Does your guitar have 19 frets, or 20? Is there a Custom Shop sticker on the back of the neck?

Nick, yes to both the label and the ink stamp. I bought it second hand and their was no COA with it and the first owner never got one.

What is the manufacture date (first four digits of the serial number)? What is listed as the "style" at the top of the label?

Serial number is,12933036. Label say's SJ Banner, serial number and Custom Shop.

It sounds like it should be a great guitar, whether it is part of the JT run or not. The late 2013 date would seem promising for the JT run.

You might contact Jeremy Morton at Gibson, or talk to one of the five-star dealers who might have sold these in the first place. Keith at Baily Brothers, who hangs out here as modoc33, might have insight into this.

Gibson has done various low-volume SJ runs over the years, but this is more recent than others I've seen. Most seem to have 20-fret boards. I have one of the Fuller's "1943 Southern Jumbo" re-issues, which has a 19-fret board and belly-down bridge, but also has a bound fretboard, which a 1943 would not have had.

I've often wished Gibson would do a true 1943 SJ Legend, in both mahogany and rosewood, as they were originally done. I would be in line for one of those, for sure.

Archived