Gibson Brands Forums

New Elixir strings on EJ160e

Dodger11

Just thought I'd share - put new Elixirs on my Epi EJ160e - 11s - I usually use 12s - and I have fallen in love all over again. I had Fender Duratones on it, which for me were a cheap knockoff of Elixirs without coming close to the quality. Now the EJ160e is singing again and a joy to play! Someone once said on here that the most important thing to bring out the tone of your guitar regardless of nut and saddle material etc is string quality and it rings true (no pun intended). [thumbup]

I had a Gibson J160E in the 70's that had the sunburst stripped off and refinished natural. It was so obviously plywood.I couldn't get a decent sound out of it until I tried Gibson Sonomatic strings.I traded it in as it was.

I got an Epi Ej160e a while ago on eBay.The pickup was useless & I sold it on eBay as acoustic only.

Recently I got the Vintage version on eBay.Has a solid top & scalloped braces & sounds better than either of the other two.

The pickup worked fine with bronze strings & now I'm trying nickel 12's which are fine acoustic or electric.

You're right - string choice is so important to get the best sound out of your guitar.

post-21265-007616500 1423156747_thumb.jpg

All kidding aside, I think that on the "old style" flattop with a mag pup guitars, a combination of strings and technique are involved.

A friend has been playing the old Gibson CF100e for some 50+ years (I think now it's close to 60), and I can't imagine the guitar run through the board sounding much different than it does when he's not plugged in. It doesn't. But he's just "wearing" some variation of acoustic strings that always look like they're at least half worn out.

m

Recently I got the Vintage version on eBay.Has a solid top & scalloped braces & sounds better than either of the other two.

Often wondered about Vintage's version - it looks good (in your photo never seen one "in the flesh" - or shouold that be wood?). The pickup on mine seems to work fine with any strings - I bought mine used and don't know if the previous owner had done any alterations to the pickup but don't think so.

Archived