Gibson Brands Forums

FX for acoustic live performance...

daveinspain

Can anyone suggest a good sounding pedal for acoustic guitar with chorus and reverb. I have a Boss ME 50 multi FX box that I use for my electric set up but I'm no sure if there isn't something out there made specifically for acoustic guitar. I might just be going into a mixer rather than using an amp. The built in preamp in my acoustic sounds pretty good so I'm hoping that's all I'll need. Thanks

Running my 12 string acoustic to my left and right bank of amps through an MXR Phase 90 pedal. Going back and forth in time with the song, very cool effect!

Oh, nearly forgot....running the 6 string through the talk box while doing slide. very cool too.

Check out the TC Helicon VoiceLive Play Acoustic. Really cool unit with effects tailored for acoustic guitars, and vocal harmonies that follow the chords you're playing.

Really cool in-depth demo here

-Ryan

Pulled the trigger on this one… Should be arriving this week. It's actually overkill for what I wanted but I'd like to do more singing in this new project and any help I can get is good. I'm hoping I can get a natural sound out of the harmony and other vocal features… I'll give a full report after I have played with it a few days…

Dave...if you figure out how to get guitar effects out of the TC Voice Play...please let me know...I've had one for several years. The vocals work great, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it work on guitar. It took almost 7 months to get the vocals to work. The instructions leave a lot to be desired.

Dave...if you figure out how to get guitar effects out of the TC Voice Play...please let me know...I've had one for several years. The vocals work great, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it work on guitar. It took almost 7 months to get the vocals to work. The instructions leave a lot to be desired.

Hey Bill, the unit I bought, the TC Helicon VoiceLive Play Acoustic is a new product just introduced and has FX for guitar and voice… The Voice play you have looks like it only is set up for your vocals and isn't able to do guitar and vocal FX. I just watched a demos video of the voice play and that's what I have gathered from it. The TC Helicon VoiceLive Play Acoustic, has separate inputs and outputs for guitar and voice allowing the unit to work separately… This looks like a good instructional video for the Vocal Play

Here is a pretty clear demo on the unit I bought. The guy doing the demo is very mellow but strait forward

That looks and sound great as well… If I don't like the vocal features on the TC Play Acoustic I may send it back and look for the Yamaha box… Thanks.

Hi Dave

I removed the AG Stomp reference since it seemed you had solved the problem.

The AG Stomp is supposed to model a given microphone setup, the idea was it would help to reduce the "Quackiness" of Piezos. it has a few different settings. (like a few condenser mic settings, nylon string etc) I usually blend it at 50% Direct (which would be no modeling) / Modeling.

There's a built in compressor, reverb, delay and chorus, (as well as a tuner) and a very fine tunable anti feedback setup and of course the typical bass, midrange, treble presence for EQ settings

the interface is sort of primitive, (no LCD to he lp with the edits..) but I will say once you get it tweaked to your guitar, and make that your default "setting" it's basically plug and play.

a lot of guys ask me what I'm using on Gigs stating the over all sound of my acoustics are very good out front. I have four acoustics, 3 are flattops strung with 80/20s or phosphor bronze stings, and a nylon. I have a program set for each one.

Maybe this would do the trick more cheaply? it was quite expensive when they were new.. but as is the case with these, technology advances knock the price down for anything second hand.

Dave...thanks very much...I watched the appropriate video for my unit, and it only works for guitar through a pa system. So Not user friendly at all for a guitar unless you are doing a big event with a sound man. It seems also like you would have to have two of them in order to sing through one and play guitar through the other. It doesn't appear that you can do both things at the same time with only one unit. Again...very disappointing. I'll just use it for vocals (not too bad) and use my separate effects stomp boxes or my Digitech RP-1. Its old, but it works really great for what I do.

Thanks so much for your help.

Dave...I hooked up my unit just like I saw it hooked up on the video and then started pressing buttons. I got lots and lots of guitar effects. Most almost worthless for what I do. Echos, flanging, and reverbs that are totally unusable in a live situation.

However...I DID GET IT TO WORK FOR GUITAR EFFECTS. I will continue to use it for vocals...which it does VERY well. Again, I appreciate your help and guidance.

Personal opinion.... :blink:

Save spending any money....the Boss ME 50 is fine for acoustic enhancement... [thumbup]

I use the later ME 70 and get a very satisfactory sound through PA and guitar amps

Another 'wrinkle' is to try out a Roland Cube if you get the chance

Cubes can sound really good as is with an acoustic

Or via the ME 50 or ME 70

Enjoy.... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Archived