Gibson Brands Forums

Return of a dear old friend

Tman

I gave my Flying V to my nephew 8 years ago for a graduation gift. I wasn't playing at the time and he was occasionally playing and had always expressed admiration for it. Fast forward to this December when he came to visit his dad, my brother, in Manhattan Beach. He came up to me and said, "Uncle Phillip, I can't play this thing in my apartment, plus it's hard to sit and hold. Can I use your Martin D-15 and trade this back?" My answer was, "Sure!" I know he'll keep the Martin forever but that's fine with me, I have the acoustic department taken care of.

So here she is, back after all of these years. I got her in 76, played her extensively from 76-80 then again in 88-91. In 1979, probably because of a bad (or perhaps too good) bag of dope, I replaced the bridge pickup with a DeMarzio super hot humbucker dejour that had splittable coils and so you see the little hole for the swictch between the pickup selector and the jack that I dug out of the pickguard. I also put on a cockamamie stop tailpiece with little dial microtuners that I though was so ferking cool back then. The frets are really worn thin. I played the crap out of this guitar in it's heyday. Also it got scratched up. The truss cover is yellowed but I like that.

One funny thing, I have spent time on this forum talking about love for the 60's slim profile neck. This thing has a 50's baseball bat neck on it! I still love it.

What should I do?

1. Get as close to the original pickups, replace the pickguard, refret, and repaint and leave the truss rod cover

2. Do nothing and leave it alone and enjoy the nostalgia of how I used to play it.

3. Replace pickguard and pickups and leave the rest

4. Something in-between.

I've never been one for the road worn look and don't really care at this point about keeping the original stuff as it is altered and incomplete anyway. BUT, and it's a big but (Bertha territory) it'll be expensive to do an overhaul.

Here it is now:

IMG_2752_zpsieg4t4xl.jpg IMG_2751_zpstn1ognjr.jpg

Here it is the day my parents got it for me in 1976. It says April 76 on the polaroid. I have no memory of this. Not my birthday, no graduation. Not sure what I did to deserve it unless it was ordered on my birthday in February and I had to wait.

8790ee0f-cbcf-49c7-a2d8-074cb12cda16_zpsfe6519fa.jpg

In action in 79. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fp2PlMV85E

Embarrassingly, there is a guy at about 2+ minutes waving a gigantic confederate flag. He partially obscures my shredding. Pissed me off:

Nice story Tman.

Do what feels good of course, but since you asked - were it me, I'd refret if it would benefit from it, change tailpiece to original type (only cos I personally prefer the simple stuff) and otherwise leave as is.

Enjoy the reacquaintance!

...do you still have the shirt?

Cool!

Thanks man! I am stoked to have her back

Nice story Tman.

Do what feels good of course, but since you asked - were it me, I'd refret if it would benefit from it, change tailpiece to original type (only cos I personally prefer the simple stuff) and otherwise leave as is.

Enjoy the reacquaintance!

...do you still have the shirt?

I'm thinking tone pros all the way and replace the bridge and tailpiece.

That shirt right? It was a patch work shirt if I remember correctly. Very 70's. Meant to be worn with jeans for sure. [biggrin]

Cool guitar and post.

My advice is to keep it as-is for a little while before deciding to make the changes. It's been 8 years, so what's another week or two before making up your mind.

Excellent point. I gotta save any way until I do something. [scared]

Very nice mate. Now I hope you've learnt your lesson...don't let it out of your sight again!

lol

I've made dense decisions before but this time I'll keep her.

1. Get as close to the original pickups, replace the pickguard, refret, and repaint and leave the truss rod cover

This is what I want to do. Gotta resist being impulsive.

Brush up on some Clapton... maybe, "Hello Old Friend". Can't call it a happy ending cause it's more like a new beginning.

I kinda like the cockaferkingmamie tailpiece, as long as it works. But hey... it's your guitar... you'll know what to do!

Hey you coined a new term for my guitar hardware lexicon!

I'm thinking on going Tonepros vintage all the way. That stuff is fantastic, plus the little plastic micro tuners CFM tailpiece are a bit stripped so it's time to go. [cursing]

Well Tman, that sure is a nice story.

Now it's time for you to make up for time wasted and get to picking.

Rock on with your bad self. [thumbup]

Cman how's it going?

I'm thinking on trying to record soon and see how it sounds with all the new technology. [thumbup][biggrin][scared]

Nuthin' wrong with that story!

Let the moment breath... Search your (your own) soul for the answer... Get in touch with yourself and find out what it is that you would like to see happen with it!

It's yours and not anyone else's, so do with it what you want to do with it!

Were it I; I'd want to find either some vintage or period correct pickups for it and if it wouldn't show obviously from modifications (if any were) done to the body, I'd find a stock or stock-looking replacement bridge, potentially an unobtrusive upgrade or stock.

Having said that I don't know if it being a Norlin era axe if it has any pitfalls of the era with pickups or pots etc. I might not want stock ones depending upon what it had stock, but considering the era, I think T-Tops might be a good choice for me or something along those lines. But I'm a Blues guy and possess no interest in the ceramic sisters that are often found in Flying-V's so I'd be shooting for some Lonnie Mack or Albert King tone myself...

It's all subjective! Do what will inspire your passion and make you revel in the historic sentimental value that it holds for you and make you wanna play it endlessly!

Enjoy! Great story/circumstance...

Well, this is a story as wonderful as it's true. Take a deep breath and dig it, mate!

Great performance back then and a nice video clip. I think after so many years I wouldn't be bothered anymore by the guy waving the flag and grant him his excitement. ;)

I'm a fan of the TP-6 tailpiece although it's not available with nickel plating. If I were you, I think I would take some time before deciding what to do eventually. I guess I would restring her, set her up to my desire and rock that baby! [biggrin][thumbup]

Very cool guitar and very cool story.

Frankly I would only make needed changes to the guitar.

I would leave the original pickguard and truss rod cover, that extra hole you drilled is no big deal especially when it can be plugged. Here you would find that to have a perfectly matching V pickguard you have to have one custom made, the standard ready-to-buy replacement on the market has some differences, the pointy areas of the pickguard are more rounded.

The pickups, if you like the DiMarzio leave it in there, it was a thing in that era to replace the originals for Dimarzios super distortion, not sure what you have in there. Players trying to replace the originals back in is probably one reason why Gibson T Tops pickups from that era have increased in price.

The re-fretting is probably a must if it will better playability but I would consult with a good luthier for an opinion.

On the other hand if you decide to do a complete refinish then spare no expense and get it done exactly how you want it.

Enjoyed that Tman

Thanks for sharing!

Regards

Flight959

Thanks Flight!

Nuthin' wrong with that story!

Let the moment breath... Search your (your own) soul for the answer... Get in touch with yourself and find out what it is that you would like to see happen with it!

It's yours and not anyone else's, so do with it what you want to do with it!

Were it I; I'd want to find either some vintage or period correct pickups for it and if it wouldn't show obviously from modifications (if any were) done to the body, I'd find a stock or stock-looking replacement bridge, potentially an unobtrusive upgrade or stock.

Having said that I don't know if it being a Norlin era axe if it has any pitfalls of the era with pickups or pots etc. I might not want stock ones depending upon what it had stock, but considering the era, I think T-Tops might be a good choice for me or something along those lines. But I'm a Blues guy and possess no interest in the ceramic sisters that are often found in Flying-V's so I'd be shooting for some Lonnie Mack or Albert King tone myself...

It's all subjective! Do what will inspire your passion and make you revel in the historic sentimental value that it holds for you and make you wanna play it endlessly!

Enjoy! Great story/circumstance...

Been getting in touch with myself a lot lately! Just jerking your chain (no pun intended)! Must have been the Katy Perry thread. [biggrin]

From memory the bridge pickup wasn't that great but I played through a Peavey transistor amp that needed to be cranked for any kind of drive, I didn't use pedals. I know the DeMarzio gave it some umph. I have always wanted embossed chrome humbucker covers. I may, even though not correct because it was made in 75 not 71, try to score some off of eBay and just get some 57 classics from Gibson. I'm with you on the being not too much into the ceramics now that I have a decent valve amp.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks man, I'm going to be playing around and hopefully record soon.

Great story, video and guitar. I'd get her back in playing shape a gig that baby!

Happy almost birthday old man. Lol

Back at ya, I'm only a couple of days younger than you I'm pretty sure! [biggrin]

Well, this is a story as wonderful as it's true. Take a deep breath and dig it, mate!

Great performance back then and a nice video clip. I think after so many years I wouldn't be bothered anymore by the guy waving the flag and grant him his excitement. ;)

I'm a fan of the TP-6 tailpiece although it's not available with nickel plating. If I were you, I think I would take some time before deciding what to do eventually. I guess I would restring her, set her up to my desire and rock that baby! [biggrin][thumbup]

Great advice, I'm stringing her up with Thomastik Infelt Powerbrights today. In my opinion, the best strings made.

Very cool guitar and very cool story.

Frankly I would only make needed changes to the guitar.

I would leave the original pickguard and truss rod cover, that extra hole you drilled is no big deal especially when it can be plugged. Here you would find that to have a perfectly matching V pickguard you have to have one custom made, the standard ready-to-buy replacement on the market has some differences, the pointy areas of the pickguard are more rounded.

The pickups, if you like the DiMarzio leave it in there, it was a thing in that era to replace the originals for Dimarzios super distortion, not sure what you have in there. Players trying to replace the originals back in is probably one reason why Gibson T Tops pickups from that era have increased in price.

The re-fretting is probably a must if it will better playability but I would consult with a good luthier for an opinion.

On the other hand if you decide to do a complete refinish then spare no expense and get it done exactly how you want it.

Good point about the pick guard. I'm definitely going to take a bit of time, this will be mine until doomsday, I want to be perfectly happy.

Cool.

If a bag of dope was in the first story, then add a bag of dope to this period of introspection as you try to decide the fate of the guitar.

paint job...I wonder how it would look if you stripped all the original paint and then had it primed and painted at an autobody shop. A rattle can job looks OK in the beginning but the paint is too soft to last.

I've been going through my Gibson holy grail list of parts and the only reference I can come up with for that time period for V's keeps stating the pups were the ceramic sisters (496/500). Much earlier than yours, it was 57's. Mine is open coil ceramic sisters too. So, that's probably what yours was originally I'd say. Can you remember when you first got it, were the pups open coil? If so, then all probability it was ceramic. If covered, then probably 57's. Sorry mate, best I can come up with.

Fantastic Vee there fella!

If it were mine, I'd stick new frets in, an original tailpiece and rock that mother until the die I died!

That's a plan!

What a great reunion! Enjoy it. Whatever you plan to do with it!

Thanks man I am for sure

Cool.

If a bag of dope was in the first story, then add a bag of dope to this period of introspection as you try to decide the fate of the guitar.

paint job...I wonder how it would look if you stripped all the original paint and then had it primed and painted at an autobody shop. A rattle can job looks OK in the beginning but the paint is too soft to last.

Nowadays it's probably GMO dope. Back then we called it a "lid". Not sure why but that's what i recollect - not that my recollections are that reliable.

I've been going through my Gibson holy grail list of parts and the only reference I can come up with for that time period for V's keeps stating the pups were the ceramic sisters (496/500). Much earlier than yours, it was 57's. Mine is open coil ceramic sisters too. So, that's probably what yours was originally I'd say. Can you remember when you first got it, were the pups open coil? If so, then all probability it was ceramic. If covered, then probably 57's. Sorry mate, best I can come up with.

They were definitely covered and not open. They may have been ceramics. I'm going to try to find out. Thanks for looking. Cheers

Okay, I'm speaking as an old guy with more guitars "lost" through the years than I want to think about...

Here's my thought - as suggested, hang on and play it for a coupla playing days with no change but perhaps new strings.

Then consider whether a fret job or other setup games must needs be played.

Otherwise?

I'd leave it as is.

My reasoning is that my wife and I are about to hit 40 years together. She's not the girl she was those years ago but... including more than a few repairs and replacement parts, she's a better match for me now than the one I got with 40 years ago would be for me now. Not nearly the character, regardless that I thought so at the time. So... ain't gonna change anything, and the new parts, remanufactured parts and other repairs and the missing pieces all are part of the current girl that I get along with quite well at this point.

A little silly perspective, perhaps, but...

m

No way the 500/496 combo existed back then, much less '57s. I mean the 500T sound did not exist then and Gibson was not trying to replicate PAFs either but I am shooting from the hip here.

All players trying to imitate 70's sounds by guys like Michael Schenker all talk about T-Tops and a cocked wah.

I bet you Duane V or Searcy here can tell you exactly what came stock on those mid to late 70's Gibsons.

im going to take out the neck pickup and give a look

Maybe a T top which were placed until 75 I think then the pat number pickup

Now I'm psyched to see what it is

And Milod, great advice as always and I hope the Mrs appreciates you!

Archived