Gibson Brands Forums

Return of a dear old friend

Tman

No way the 500/496 combo existed back then, much less '57s. I mean the 500T sound did not exist then and Gibson was not trying to replicate PAFs either but I am shooting from the hip here.

Yes they did mate. The 'Ceramic Twins' as they were first known as, came out as a ceramic compliment to the 'Alnico Sisters' (490R/498T). The alnico's were the hot ticket back then, and the stable workhorse of a lot of models. The 'Ceramic Twins', or 'Ceramic Sisters' as they then became, were offered up as a hotter alternative to the 'Alnico Sisters', being released sometime March 1971. At the time, a lot of players (like Joe Walsh) were experimenting with alternatives to the alnico's, such as the Gibson 490R and the DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion, trying to go hotter. Then the ceramic sisters came out and solved all that. Peter Frampton was that impressed, he had the 496R neck, 498T mid, and 500T bridge in his 3 pup monster used in the 1976 release "FCA".

'57's came out late '50's.

Oh my God!

It was a month before I got born. :D

Very nice guitar. :)

Cheers... Bence

Cheers youngster!

Love that polaroid! (lol).

Geez, your so young there, reminds me of the days when I used to hang out at the guitar store.

That store is still there (Jacksonville Arkansas) and every chance that I get, I try to get stuff from Steve the owner. It's a Mom and Pop store that used to sell Gibsons but now only Fenders and that may be temporary. You see the Nighthawk and the J-200 and the LP black custom behind me? Also an L-5 and whatever the 3 single coil Gibson was called. What a blast from the past. I really wonder where all of those beauties are today.

I think it's a Gibson S-1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_S-1

Bingo, that's it.

BTW I took out the pickups last night. Here they are - drum roll please: IMG_2757_zpsbbjgyrg1.jpg

I don't think the neck pup is a T-top and I'm not sure what pickup was the one with the correct patent number on it rather than the original misdesignation after the PAF. The Dimarzio has seen better days huh?

As you can tell I'm way too impulsive to just let things be. [scared]

The neck pickup looks exactly like a T Top. Google images Gibson T Tops Puickups and you'll see.

The T Top name comes from a little T shape that you can see on top of the bobbin, in you case to see it you'd have to remove the cover but just by looking at the back there is no need to do that.

The neck pickup looks exactly like a T Top. Google images Gibson T Tops Puickups and you'll see.

The T Top name comes from a little T shape that you can see on top of the bobbin, in you case to see it you'd have to remove the cover but just by looking at the back there is no need to do that.

I'll do that tonight. That would be period correct from what I read. I think I am confused about T tops and whether they had the patent number or not and if so (I think they do) then which one.

This is exciting, I'll have a real antique then! Just like I'm becoming. =;[-(8-[](*,)'[angry][blush] :angry: [crying]

Can't tell if it's a T-Top from the back. You'd have to take the cover off and look at the bobbins on the top for that. Unless someone can decode the numbers there on the back.

The right hand pup is too dark for me to tell. You could possibly have a 496/DP100 combo there mate.

Archived