Gibson Brands Forums

1960 gibson hummingbird

Motherofpearl

There's no big story behind this one unfortunately. He bought it from the original owner. So my friend bought it as a gibson lover first and as an investment. If you seen it it's almost too good to be true. The condition is amazing. The burst doesn't stand out to me like it does in the pictures. But as I too research I do find some are like that. My pal is working night shift I should have the serial number soon then I can look it up

Okay then - could be SO interesting to hear it as it obviously haven't been played that much. Wonder how that virgin-wood vibes anno 2015 ;-)

I tried a 1960 just as mint H-bird before New Year, which sounded very good.

The neck tho, was thinner than thin, , , by far the slimmest Gibson neck I ever encountered - and not sanded or modified in any way. Nut said 11/16.

The neck tho, was thinner than thin, , , by far the slimmest Gibson neck I ever encountered - and not sanded or modified in any way. Nut said 11/16.[/size][/font]

The 1960-1962 guitars have the skinniest necks ever put on a Gibson. 1963-64 necks are a bit beefier but still nowhere near what you got in 1959. For me though those necks are deal killers right off the bat. Even the 1 11/16" nut does not help as I am finding even the 1 3/4" nut a bit cramped feeling these days.

Hmmm I don't find the neck that uncomfortable. The same friend also has a 1964 and the neck is very close. I'll see if he can send me a sound sample as well.

A little sound of course would be terrific -

I read you Zomb, , and admit I haven't played other 1960 to 62 squares the one unique Bird.

My 1963 SJ has a great neck - 11/16, , , and is slightly wider than my 1964 CW (also 11/16).

But as I have it down, the neck were highly individual until the machines sat in during '65. Correct if wrong.

Let me add that the 9/16 1959 J-45 here is a whole other tale and don't have the characteristic flattened C-shape as the squares.

Archived