Gibson Brands Forums

Very subtle Gibson bashing over on AGF…...

onewilyfool

Those guys do that so I won't comment on their bashing. But I can explain his experience....

Gibson factory steins suck. The bass strings sound dead within days. Every time. We can't sell one until we Restring it. Unfortunately, it's just something we deal with. We don't go crazy and chase after 10 different types of boutique strings. We just slap some D'addario on there,and the guitars sell. I'm guessing most stores don't change them until they have to. We try to do it ASAP. We have to.

Those guys do that so I won't comment on their bashing. But I can explain his experience....

Gibson factory steins suck. The bass strings sound dead within days. Every time. We can't sell one until we Restring it. Unfortunately, it's just something we deal with. We don't go crazy and chase after 10 different types of boutique strings. We just slap some D'addario on there,and the guitars sell. I'm guessing most stores don't change them until they have to. We try to do it ASAP. We have to.

Interesting point, Keith.

Ironically, the guy who started the thread on AGF has started posting here a bit recently. Not sure why.

As several said on that thread, "different strokes". End of story.

I don't happen to care that much for Taylors, but a lot of people do. We all have different expectations, likes, and dislikes. And that's a good thing.

It didn't seem that thinly veiled to me. Of course I'm eternally grateful that someone of his stature would actually give one lonely J45 his approval to actually play rather than just use them all for canoe oars. We have another thread about the J15. Several people said they liked every one they tried. My quest for a new guitar took me few years. I tried every "J" guitar that came in to my local GC. I thought every one was good. The wand finally picked this wizard when I tried my first J45 rosewood. My point is that I probably approved of a dozen guitars that should be spared the canoe; not 1 in 6.

Smooth move, Sal! Love it.

As a Gibson fan and owner, I'm relieved to hear from Keith that they restring their Gibsons right away. It explains why I've been less impressed with the Gibbys I've played in GC vs. the five-star dealers. There have been some Gibbys that sounded so bad at GC I felt like someone was playing a game to see how flat they could make them sound. Then I walk into Alto Music or Russo's and it takes every ounce of willpower to leave without dropping several grand.

That said, clearly the OP at AGF was looking to bash and it was hardly veiled. I could complain about the thin Taylor tone and their dull, generic appearance, but I only do it here where we know it's different strokes... I hope Taylor owners enjoy their guitars. That's what it's all about. Besides, a great guitar player could make an Esteban sound better than anything I play.

Speaking about bashing, I was at Ye Olde Music Shoppe for a bit yesterday. The owner told me to open a case over in the corner as there was something I would like inside. Opened it and there was a cutaway Taylor something or the other. I let out a shriek and made some comment about feeling the need for a hot cleansing shower. The owner then apologized and said he meant the case next to it in which lay a drop dead gorgeous Mossman Winter Wheat.

Cant get upset about others opinions, but looking for a Martin-esque Bass in a Gibson? Seriously misguided

"The Gibson company came to flattops from the archtop world. Their flattops were voiced to accentuate the midrange and used a shorter scale. That's the sound you what you want if you are playing a lot of inside chords, as archtop players will do. or Gary Davis moves. You either like that sound or you dont. But dont kncok the quality. For Gibson, that sounds a feature, not a bug."

Its sometimes entertaining to watch folks duke it out over subjects like brand or tone. If only one brand was best or tone was an absolute then we would all know what guitar to buy. [smile] Keith's comments about putting fresh strings on their gibsons resonates with me. I am fortunate to be able to have a small collection of a couple of various brand guitars. Love them all for their own special characteristics but I have noticed that while I prefer Gibson strings on my Gibsons they tend to decay fast. Add to that my observation that, at least with my gibsons, they seem to be more sensitive to dead strings than the others. Don't know why but they just seem to be. In spite of that I love my Gibbys and wouldn't trade them for anything (well maybe that's not true but y'all know what I mean).

AGF seems to be a very diverse set of contributors and topics. They discuss everything from some fairly interesting and informative guitar techie topics to people that get their socks caught on the latches of their guitar cases, right Wily? [lol]

I don't care if someone doesn't like gibbons…it's the WAY he posted his thread……."You know I tried six and only one was good, what's wrong with Gibson?" kind of thread. When I report on a music store, I usually just talk up the ones I likes, and resist bashing other models. I LOVE the necks on Taylor's, but rarely find one who's sound suits my ear. The exception is the new all mahogany Taylor's…they sound pretty good, and I've talked them up on a lot of other forums. So this thread is just another variation of the "I've-never-played-a-Gibson-I've-liked-in-my-whole-life" thread. Why not just say, I played a J-45 I really liked today and leave it at that….so the bashing is subtle, but just another typical AGF ream of Gibson's.

Cant get upset about others opinions, but looking for a Martin-esque Bass in a Gibson? Seriously misguided

There are Gibsons out there with a Martin D-28-like low end. The guy who restored my 1942 J-50 is a second generation repair guy who has restored more vintage Martins and Gibsons than most of us will ever see. When he got done with mine, he handed it back to me and when I asked him what he thought he looked at me and said the guitar had a low end that would make a pre-War Martin D-28 run for cover. So apparently he heard it so they are out there. He could not tell me why though. I am thinking it has to do with braces that look like they were carved with a dull pen knife.

Archived