Gibson Brands Forums

Sharing a couple of my originals

'Scales

With 1000 posts approaching faster than I ever though possible, I'm sharing my first couple of originals recorded the other day for use as part of a demo CD. These are the first songs I wrote for the (mainly) covers band.

Recorded live off the desk. Some mixing but not mastered at all as yet.

Hope this gets a toe or two tappin'

Thanks for indulging me anyway guys [smile]

https://soundcloud.com/itiswhatitis-5/first-song

https://soundcloud.com/itiswhatitis-5/second-song

Always feels risky putting it out there eh? But that's really good stuff! [thumbup] I enjoyed both songs. I think I liked the second one best guitar wise. If you are still mixing, a bit more treble wouldn't hurt. I listened to them on good headphones not crappy computer speakers, and they could use a little sizzle I think.

If you are still laying down tracks, perhaps some harmony vocals? The singer (you?) has a John Prine whine - and I do not mean that in a bad way at all. I like it. But some harmony sweetness is always a plus in my book.

Great work. Thanks for sharing it. [thumbup]

I'm known for being critical and there's nothing wrong with those. The first one I felt was the best and I could imagine Bruce Springsteen singing it. The second one, Tom Petty. Perhaps you should try and sell them? I'd happily play in your band though. Well done.

Thanks folks - deeply appreciate both the encouragment as well as the specific things to focus on. Our sound guy has apparently remixed and mastered a bunch of songs which I look forward to hearing (the files are x10 in size so he's done something). References to Springsteen, Petty et al are very apt and perceptive on your parts - they are all part of the idea. I did the singing and rhythm guitar on those tracks and (being Aussie) probably overdid the vocal twang in my efforts to make them Springsteenish lyrics meets Petty style vocal meets southern rock style vibe. Thats where recording is great to hear yourself and learn from.

These guys (and those in my originals band just starting off) are all middle aged at least (I am the baby by some margin) and apart from our lead guitarist have never played in a band in our lives until 2012 and are by no means great on our instruments - but what fun it is! - I mention this in the hope that anyone thinking about playing music with others might give it a go - it is slightly awkward at first but not for long - if we can do it, anyone can. Thanks again all! cheers.

'Scales very best to you.

Playing in a band, performing, writing and amateur recording have been amongst the greatest thrills in my life and you have captured the essence of that thrill with your post.

Cheers and many years of pleasure in this endevour.

Live long and prosper, 💪🍤

Archived