Gibson Brands Forums

Grammy observations

rct

while on this subject does anyone know when the voting is actually complete? This is only interesting to me because the big winner of the night was Sam Smith and I found that to be curious given the recent court ruling in favor of Tom Petty...I was just curious if it was more of people voting in support of him to thumb their nose at the ruling?? I would assume the voting had already been completed but not sure.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That con that Tom Perry pulled on Sam Smith was a first class shake down. Just goes to show that even if you can't write hits anymore you can still make a buck off the top 40 pop charts. [thumbup]

So you don't hear a similarity? I do and it is really strong and I would say much more so than what George Harrison was sued and lost for. I guess also you kind of make a point to which I was eluding that some of the voters may have said "we will show them" and voted for Smith in support. I don't know but I can certainly hear it.

Tman...I didn't see the show, but I did catch some "highlights" today. Whats wrong with Kanye?? The man has a Beyonce fixation. Somebody needs to slap him. He is entitled to his opinion, but keep it to yourself or amongst your friends. Being an ignorant ***-hat on television doesn't change who won the award.

So you don't hear a similarity? I do and it is really strong and I would say much more so than what George Harrison was sued and lost for. I guess also you kind of make a point to which I was eluding that some of the voters may have said "we will show them" and voted for Smith in support. I don't know but I can certainly hear it.

No, I didn't hear anything even close with the two songs. The complaint seem to be that you could sing the Tom Petty song over the Sam Smith song. Well damn, I can do that with half the songs out there.I mean, does

Jimmy Dean get to Sue every rapper out there because you can sing "big bad John" over every rap song that ever was?

Tman...I didn't see the show, but I did catch some "highlights" today. Whats wrong with Kanye?? The man has a Beyonce fixation. Somebody needs to slap him. He is entitled to his opinion, but keep it to yourself or amongst your friends. Being an ignorant ***-hat on television doesn't change who won the award.

That's what's wrong with Kanye, exactly. Like the President called him when he pulled the same stunt on Taylor Swift, a jackass. Maybe it'll work to Beck's favor though, Who knows?

No, I didn't hear anything even close with the two songs. The complaint seem to be that you could sing the Tom Petty song over the Sam Smith song. Well damn, I can do that with half the songs out there.I mean, does

Jimmy Dean get to Sue every rapper out there because you can sing "big bad John" over every rap song that ever was?

I can easily hear it but if you write a song and it has a catchy hook and some else used that say like Vanilla Ice and Queen for example why should they profit from you hard work and creativity to come up with an original tune?? it is not right and it is becoming more and more prevalent because of the severe lack of talent in the industry today...I can understand some times you may let it slide but there becomes a point where you have to send the message that hey enough is enough or more and more artist do it. As far as Petty I think he is not hurting too much for the money as his new album has done pretty well and it too was even nominated for the album of the year. I don't think it is a greed issue on his behalf but it is when artists copy others.

I can easily hear it but if you write a song and it has a catchy hook and some else used that say like Vanilla Ice and Queen for example why should they profit from you hard work and creativity to come up with an original tune?? it is not right and it is becoming more and more prevalent because of the severe lack of talent in the industry today...I can understand some times you may let it slide but there becomes a point where you have to send the message that hey enough is enough or more and more artist do it. As far as Petty I think he is not hurting too much for the money as his new album has done pretty well and it too was even nominated for the album of the year. I don't think it is a greed issue on his behalf but it is when artists copy others.

This song sounds nothing at all like "Learning to Fly". Not in a million years. Not even close. Petty should be ashamed of himself for bulling a young kid into writing him a check.

This song sounds nothing at all like "Learning to Fly". Not in a million years. Not even close. Petty should be ashamed of himself for bulling a young kid into writing him a check.

"Learning To Fly" isn't the song in question. It's "Won't Back Down".

It's funny but I almost wrote that I agree that it doesn't sound like Learning to Fly, sounds instead like I Wont Back Down. First time I'd ever heard it.

John Lennon once said everyone borrows, it's just how you rephrase it ( to paraphrase the songwriting master)

It's funny but I almost wrote that I agree that it doesn't sound like Learning to Fly, sounds instead like I Wont Back Down. First time I'd ever heard it.

John Lennon once said everyone borrows, it's just how you rephrase it ( to paraphrase the songwriting master)

I immediately recognized "Won't Back Down" the first time I heard that Sam Smith song. But I didn't even know there was a lawsuit until I read Searcy's post. But there are so many songs you can do that with. Remember that Lady Antebellum song "Need You Now" a few years ago? That's same as "Eye In The Sky" by Alan Parsons Project. Remember Two Non Blondes "What's Going On"? That's just "Don't Worry Be Happy". I haven't heard of any lawsuits there, and there are plenty more I could list.

I didn't know about the suit either.

Then there is "My Sweet Lord" and "He's so Fine". I thought that was a stretch.

Yes you can see similarity but man, as you said, there are so many examples.

Speaking of, I wonder why Tom didn't sue the Dixie Chicks over the similarity of Taking the Long Way to Learning to Fly. Talk about similarity, more than Sam I think.

He's a spoiled brat of a hypocrite who likes to come off as "spiritual, deep down" but it is painfully obvious that he worships the creature more than the Creator.

Her performance reminded me of a clip of the little dude singing at church on America's Funniest Videos. Bending and sliding into notes is okay but it shouldn't take up multiple measures. [bored]

Well I can hear it plain as day to me and I agree there are songs that small parts remind me of other songs. Maybe he just had had enough but I guess the person's opinion that really mattered was the judge. and as I stated before you have so many low talent musicians now days that can not do the work on their own so you are gonna see more and more of this. it is just like movies now that they have so much more special effect capabilities the acting and storytelling abilities continues to decrease. thus less and less really great movies.

Archived