Gibson Brands Forums

Question over truss rod signature T

sunshinewelly

I have taken delivery of a new signature T. Now when it arrived there was very little relief in the neck (around 0.10 mm 0.004 inches).

I do like it quite flat but noticed that after a quick turn to loosen the truss rod there was very little resistance in the truss rod. ( i am used to feeling some resistance in the rod). Got the relief to the way i like it (in between 0.15mm to 0.20mm) but the rod is loose to the point that i can turn it with my fingers at that point. I dont know whether i could add any more relief as the rod is now loose.

Is this normal. It does not rattle etc. Shall i just leave it as it is or turn it with my fingers to tighten it until i reach some resistance

If it was me, I'd try loosening the trussrod all the way - really loose - and then exercise the neck back and forth just a little bit to "get the cobwebs out of it." Then see how much relief there is. If you have, say, 0.02 to 0.03", whatever that is in metric, with the trussrod loosened all the way, then that's probably o.k. You want to have a little tension on the trussrod once it's set up.

But that's just me. Somebody with more experience might have a better idea of how much relief you should have with the trussrod loosened all the way.

Archived