Gibson Brands Forums

weird 1962 Gibson ES355TD

david123

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the dowels under the harmonica bridge are wider than an ABR/Tone o Matic which makes me thing it may have been a wraptail piece like early Juniors and Specials. Could it be a Stereo model since it has the 2 inputs?

Hi Jimi, hmm its an option but still I don't think it was a wraptail as you can see the lower side is normal with no wider dowels...as I know wraptail is bigger then ABR that it should have 2 bowels then harmonica bridge but still I can be wrong.

My opinion is that it is ABR bridge with wood underneath as like on Gibson Encore picture and I have great news guys:)

First I found out that in that time Gibson put very rare Grover imperial tuners on flagship custom orders so it is very big possibility that my guitar had the same and as I can see from pics it had the same two screws per each tuner in the same area and the same dimensions between screws and i found them from the same era:)) + I got bigsby B7 from same era and of course ABR1 with wood!

I will receive all next week and will take it to master repairer here in Ljubljana to install back all that and made all setup

Wow this will be a guitar to look can wait:))))

and yes he must check the electronics also so the other input should work - I think that's stereo version but I cant tell till it will be checked and made final setup...

Well, my advice has not changed, but it appears that you're not particularly interested in communicating with Gruhn and/or Carter before trying to restore the guitar and get it sold. At least that's the impression I've gotten here and from your messages.

As for going ahead with the restoration anyway, I still think that was not the best choice. You mention installing an ABR with a wood base, because of the guitar in the "Encore" article. Well, that guitar was not an ES355, it was a custom Byrdland. Byrdlands are fully hollow archtops with spruce tops, and thus fitted with wooden bridge bases. So, I'm not sure what your thinking was there (or your repairman's thinking). That's just one example of the fact that you guys may not really know what you're doing. The Grover "Imperial" tuners on "flagship" custom Gibsons comment doesn't completely make sense to me either. Oh well.

Hi Jim,

I just got one answer from George Gruhn and he told me whats not original...

I got an option to get Abr with wood base, but if it will not worked, I will instill it without wood, that was an idea

About tuners, as you can see on the pictures I gave you, there are two holes for each tuner and this grover tuners I got have the same holes so I wont drill any new holes! if it will not suit then I will leave like it was, don't worry I will not do any stupid things! thx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

I just got one answer from George Gruhn and he told me whats not original...

I got an option to get Abr with wood base, but if it will not worked, I will instill it without wood, that was an idea

About tuners, as you can see on the pictures I gave you, there are two holes for each tuner and this grover tuners I got have the same holes so I wont drill any new holes! if it will not suit then I will leave like it was, don't worry I will not do any stupid things! thx

David, did you send Mr. Gruhn all of your photos? I'm surprised that nobody is showing any interest in the unusual nature of your guitar. Either Gruhn or Walter Carter (or someone else with real expertise here in the U.S.) should be able to tell you something about it, even if it is only guesses or theories. I would try contacting Carter again (and keep trying until you get at least some opinions). email: walter@cartervintage.com

My advice remains, don't do any modifications until you communicate with an expert. Good luck, and keep us updated. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I have really weird 1962 Gibson ES355TD which I have never seen, its like Barney Kessel but with two inputs and selector like 355 and it says inside the label ES355TD

I have made tons of pics with detailsand will put some of them here and can somebody tells me more about it...

I heard that Gibson experimented and made some uniques that time

thx

David

Nice. Never seen one like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zentar,

I don't think the tailpiece is original as there are three screw hols at the strap holder which I think it was for bigsby, ok maybe its opposite version so maybe the tailpiece is original and later someone put bigsby on it

Hmm really weird

Only one input is working maybe other is unwired...

thx

David

Archived