Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! Epiphone ES-339 P90 Pro

darling67

Just took delivery of my ES-339 P90! I could not be happier…

I had wanted a wine red, but those were not going to be available in the U.S. until later this Fall. Then, I decided on ebony… but that finish was taking too long to become available (it is now).

So, I went with cherry… and I am glad I did. It's a classic—and gorgeous—finish for ES-style guitars.

IMG_20150211_110317_921_zpscf534b54.jpg

IMG_20150211_110227_289_zps22f752eb.jpg

IMG_20150211_110305_313_zpse71086e7.jpg

I had wanted a wine red, but those were not going to be available in the U.S. until later this Fall. Then, I decided on ebony… but that finish was taking too long to become available (it is now).

So, I went with cherry… and I am glad I did. It's a classic—and gorgeous—finish for ES-style guitars.

IMG_20150211_110317_921_zpscf534b54.jpg

IMG_20150211_110227_289_zps22f752eb.jpg

IMG_20150211_110305_313_zpse71086e7.jpg

Congratulations! I own a ES-335 Limited PRO in Iced Tea, I think you made a great choice!

Whoa!! .... Thats a beautiful pattern in the wood grain!

If it plays half as good as it looks it should be a real keeper .....

Congrats!!

Yeah, the woodgrain is stunning through the cherry finish. The pics I posted were taken with my crummy phone camera. I am going to take some better pics with my good camera tonight when I get home.

Oh, it plays niiiiiiiiice! This could potentially become my "go-to" guitar!

Thank you!

YaY! The pictures aren't coming in, but that might be stupid Comcast. Glad you finally did it, I'm still thinking about the black one, and there's a nice red one at the local GC I might be interested in, and they say they are getting an armload more. Maybe a wine red, who knows? I dig the black, I dig the cherry, but I dig more white/cream covers. Might have to throw down for some custom covers, and if the guitar is right and as good as this 56 I bought last week, it would be worth it.

Good luck with it Darling.

rct

YaY! The pictures aren't coming in, but that might be stupid Comcast. Glad you finally did it, I'm still thinking about the black one, and there's a nice red one at the local GC I might be interested in, and they say they are getting an armload more. Maybe a wine red, who knows? I dig the black, I dig the cherry, but I dig more white/cream covers. Might have to throw down for some custom covers, and if the guitar is right and as good as this 56 I bought last week, it would be worth it.

Good luck with it Darling.

rct

Actually, I think my Photobucket links got messed up when I moved them into a new folder. Will re-post!

Oh my. I may have to revisit that cherry one when I get back home.

rct

Yeah, as I said in my thread title, I am really glad I went with cherry. It's really sharp. Perhaps the best finish for this particular guitar.

People here at work are in love with it. I may have needed to get a case with locks on it. [laugh]

Congratulations. I have the sunburst version. That cherry is a really nice color.

Thanks, geeter!

I was mulling over the sunburst… it's a classic finish for these types of guitars. I saw a humbucker version, in sunburst, at my local Guitar Center and it looked nice indeed.

Mine is cherry, too. First thing I did was pull the big E off the pickguard because I don't like it. Left no sign that it was ever there. Next thing I did was remove the pickguard just to see which I'd like better. Put the pickguard away in a drawer because as good as it looks with it, it looks so much better without. Never going to scratch the finish on an archtop anyway. Then I tried to replace the silver topped knobs with translucent black speed knobs. Great look but alas I pulled the shaft out of one of the push pull pots so if you do that be careful!

Mine is cherry, too. First thing I did was pull the big E off the pickguard because I don't like it. Left no sign that it was ever there. Next thing I did was remove the pickguard just to see which I'd like better. Put the pickguard away in a drawer because as good as it looks with it, it looks so much better without. Never going to scratch the finish on an archtop anyway. Then I tried to replace the silver topped knobs with translucent black speed knobs. Great look but alas I pulled the shaft out of one of the push pull pots so if you do that be careful!

I am leaving my "stock". Looks great as is. IMO, with a very few exceptions, I think an electric guitar looks unfinished sans pick guard. I don't even care about the "protective" aspect of them… for me, it just adds contrast to a guitar and finishes the over-all look.

You should post pics of your modified version. [wink]

Super sweet! I've got a cherry Dot, which is just gorgeous. It really should be called transluscent cherry - love the wood grain showing through. Major congrats!

Thanks! Yes, the "translucency" really makes it an extra-gorgeous finish. This has quickly become a "go-to" guitar for me. Sounds great, feels great, looks great.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the ES339 Pro with the humbuckers and think I might like to add one with the P90's to my ever growing collection. Everything I've heard about them has been excellent. Good luck with yours I hope you enjoy it.

I got a regular 339 in cherry and it's awesome. Just bought a 339 p90 from MF for $329. Got it and it had neck damage sad:( but it was in vintage sunburst and played Great though. Waiting on replacement. I'm looking for the specs of the pickup covers wanted to change them out to metallic ones, anyone know if it's 49.5 or 50mm??

Dang! I just saw this thread after I posted about my Epi ES-339 P-90 Pro I just purchased the Vintage Sunburst one a few minutes ago from Musicians Friend. They're on sale for $329 only that finish - the rest are $399) Here's a pic from online:

71xJFjObx7L._SL1200_.jpg

• 1 month later...

I played one this morning, a natural finish at GC. Needed a set up, but it sounded great. Kinda hoping Sweetwater will get them in ( not showing up on their website ) and maybe get one from them.

Michael, I could be mistaken, but… I believe these P90 models are MF/GC exclusives. If not, that may only apply to some finishes.

Archived