Gibson Brands Forums

Wiring help on latest build (please)

Rabs

So for anyone who hasn't seen im doing a double cut build which is gonna have an HSS pup set up.. so ive been looking around at my wiring options (of which there are many)

At first I though I was going to keep it simple and just have one master vol and one master tone but then I was thinking about it from a more practical view.. And I have the space.. So I thought it would be cool to have one vol and tone for the Hummer and one vol and tone for both of the single coil pickups with a 5 way switch...

so this is (roughly) what im talking about (imagine that in a double cut style)

Imllhlkfjkhrtggage1_zpsl8mibsn6.jpg

and this is a diagram I came across for the sort of wiring I describe above... so my actual question is do you think this will work?

hss-2v-2t_zpswphs3juv.jpg

as always, any help appreciated [thumbup]

Rabs,

I know you build guitars, and I've seen some of your threads about it, and I know i'm going to sound like an idiot but... You built that ?! holy sh!t... thats beautiful.

lol.. not yet.. but that's the sort of thing im aiming at.. hopefully :)

I did that on the Frank Montag site...

theres a thread about this specific guitar here http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/118812-im-going-backwards-new-double-cut-body-build/page__pid__1628095__st__60#entry1628095

It currently looks like this :)

DSC_1079_zpsa9mkmfna.jpg

DSC_1082_zpssyjdf67t.jpg

Ive done some colour tests (in the thread) but cant quite decide which to go for.. They all look good :)

i've wired several of my guitars over the years. that looks like thats the diagram you'll want. can't wait to see the double cut

and thanks for that.. it sort of looks ok to me but im so used to Gibson type wiring that im not always sure. So thought it best to check and ask before drilling any holes :)

lol.. not yet.. but that's the sort of thing im aiming at.. hopefully :)

I did that on the Frank Montag site...

theres a thread about this specific guitar here http://forum.gibson....60#entry1628095

It currently looks like this :)

DSC_1079_zpsa9mkmfna.jpg

DSC_1082_zpssyjdf67t.jpg

Ive done some colour tests (in the thread) but cant quite decide which to go for.. They all look good :)

Rabs, that looks like its gonna be awesome. very impressive... looking forward to seeing the finished product...

That wiring diagram should work. You notice the single coils go to the terminal and the HBs direct to the 500k pot and is looped back. All the grounds look ok.

Cheers man... im happy with that [thumbup] better to have individual controls for the hummer me thinks, that way I can use the usual values for the caps and pots for each pup :)

Hey Rabs, Are you going to do the Blue Flame Top? That would look great. [thumbup]

Yes.. I am very much leaning towards blue..

at the moment :)

I have a thing for dark red guitars so im trying to ignore my own feelings as such (or every guitar I make would be red or natural :)) which is why im asking other people..

the problem all of the colours I have tried look good to me... ( I always liked amber with a natural back too)

but if I can make it anything like that mock up I will be extremely happy with that [thumbup]

Yes.. I am very much leaning towards blue..

at the moment :)

I have a thing for dark red guitars so im trying to ignore my own feelings as such (or every guitar I make would be red or natural :)) which is why im asking other people..

the problem all of the colours I have tried look good to me... ( I always liked amber with a natural back too)

but if I can make it anything like that mock up I will be extremely happy with that [thumbup]

I guess had I read the other thread first, I would have answered my own question. Looking good. [thumbup]

Are you using a four conductor wired humbucker or two? If it's four, Seymour Duncan has a pretty killer auto-split wiring diagram. It automatically splits the coils of the humbucker in position 2 so that the humbucker plays better with the single coil. I found it quite useful.

Are you using a four conductor wired humbucker or two? If it's four, Seymour Duncan has a pretty killer auto-split wiring diagram. It automatically splits the coil of the humbucker in position 2 so that the humbucker plays better with the single coil. I found it quite useful.

Nice.. but no its a traditional braided type wire..

I will maybe look into that sort of wiring for the next one [thumbup]

Archived