Gibson Brands Forums

LL Cool J - "Mama Said Knock You Out"

Searcy

Nice.. I love rap... I actually got into it almost the same time as I got in to rock but that wasn't gangster rap it was De La Soul and stuff like the Jungle Brothers and Queen Latifa.. Love that stuff.. I do like some of the gangster stuff but I prefer the old school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xlvLUKRhWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJEzEDMqXQQ

I've honestly never gotten what there is to not get about it. I mean, sure there are people who hate entire Jonrose of music but I have never figured out how people could honestly become confused by one.

I recall quite clearly one rap first came out and I didn't like it either. That was only because I was a metalhead and you simply were not allowed to like more than one kind of music. It wasn't cool.

But the older I get the more music I like. I guess I'm just a music fan.

I am the opposite Clint, I was metalhead and I liked early rap for fun just like I listened to Poison, it was fun, rap like 2 Live Crew, LL Cool J Tone Loc but just whatever was on the radio, it never grew on me to the point of buying a CD and although my tastes have grown wide over the last couple of decades rap just never called my name.

I can see the wide appeal though, middle class American kids that need an edge...that's how I see it anyway.

Rhyming about how tough and cool you are and telling everyone how gangsta you are to background music that is beyond sh-itty does nothing for me. If you like it then listen to it. I reserve the right not to.

Rhyming about how tough and cool you are is all rock and roll and blues have ever been. The backing tracks are what ever was being sampled. Zeplin, Chic, Aerosmith, Van Halen ect... As the artform has grown many acts play their own music and the genre has just as many top notch session players now as the nashville studios do today or the Motown studios did of old.

It's not that you aren't entitled to your opinion ... it's just that if your opinion is that rap and hip hop are not valid forms of music than your opinion is a stupid one.

Ive made this point before but you will never hear anyone claiming that these rap songs aren't music.

Archived