Gibson Brands Forums

Help identify my Advanced Jumbo

pinecone

Hello everyone! I need some help identifying my Advanced Jumbo. I believe it is a 1935 reissue but there is not much information out there. Based on the serial number I think it is a 2009 model. Also how can I tell the wood types? No pickup installed and the guitar came from Guitar Center if that helps. Let me know if I can provide more information. See pic below. Thanks :)

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

Looks like you've got a "standard" issue AJ - sitka and rosewood with a modern burst (larger). As Nick said, all the modern AJ's are based a mid-thirties model. Some retailers even advertise them as 1935 Advanced Jumbo.

There have been 'historical' reissues. And there's one or two 1935 'reissues' with adi top, rosewood b/s, and an antique style burst (smaller).

To be sure you could email service@gibson.com with the serial#, a description and a pic or two (2mb limit). Or a PM to Jeremy Morton.

It appears to be a standard Advanced Jumbo, 2009 model year with Sitka spruce top and rosewood back and sides (long scale). It is based on a 1930's Advanced Jumbo that Gibson only produced for a few years back then. I had one I bought from GC too and they generally didn't put any electronics in them from the factory. Vintage 1930's Advanced Jumbos you will see advertised used for $50-80,000....because of small supply and great guitars. If you ever watch the show "Nashville" on tv, Deacon plays one. I foolishly sold mine to a friend.

I think you should list it as a 2009 Advanced Jumbo. There were several "special" AJ's in limited numbers released recently which might cause confusion if you list yours as a 1935 re issue. As far as I know Gibson did not market yours or mine as anything other than an AJ. For example at least one limited edition has a red spruce top.

Rich

Archived