Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibsons with 1-11/16" nuts?

Jesse_Dylan

Jesse, I don't think any of the dischord in this thread was directed at you or your question - just that somebody laid into a well respected regular when the regular corrected something he said, kicking off a bit of a backlash. Your question was absolutely valid but I still think when the difference between two nut widths is no more than a few passes of a sandpaper block the neck profile would be more critical to which felt more comfortable.

MY comments were directed at the d-bag that wrote this not the OP:

You know what I don't give a crap I play what I like and if 1.725 feels better than 1.69 that's my business not yours. So go play with a calculator . Neck shape does make a difference and if 1.69 was no different than 1.725 then they would make only one. Some guys on here think they are the greatest most knowledgable guitar players in the world.

MY comments were directed at the d-bag that wrote this not the OP:

You know what I don't give a crap I play what I like and if 1.725 feels better than 1.69 that's my business not yours. So go play with a calculator . Neck shape does make a difference and if 1.69 was no different than 1.725 then they would make only one. Some guys on here think they are the greatest most knowledgable guitar players in the world.

JG, Yep. We've been on a record setting run of respectability here and that comment threatened to dash it all on the rocks. Thanks for stepping up.

Now - for my favorite cliche - "Can't we all just get along?"

Or, as Parlor Man use to say "How about a wee cuddle?"

My Favorite is yours! I love the 1 23/32" or 1.720" Gibson and Bourgeois nut widths. So fast.

I find a tremendous difference in my 1 11/16" - 1.6875", 1959 Country Western guitar and my 1999, J45's 1.72"

I empathize 100% in his search for this.

I also like a little fret board margin, off the high E string, to put my fat fingertip on. No strings on the fret ends, thank you.

I also love my 1.75 guitars for finger-style. That gnats wing difference is huge for this playing compared to the Gibson's narrower string spacing, for certain tunes.

Also If you get a 1.75" nut and the string spread is a bit too wide to move quickly on, you can have a custom replacement nut made with 1.5" string spacing and leave more margin of room next to the finger board edge.

I have done this on my CS 00 Walnut Martin. Although the narrower spread is just a slight difference it is amazing the ease of play if you want fast and certain bar chord movements are easier.

My Favorite is yours! I love the 1 23/32" or 1.720" Gibson and Bourgeois nut widths. So fast.

I find a tremendous difference in my 1 11/16" - 1.6875", 1959 Country Western guitar and my 1999, J45's 1.72"

I empathize 100% in his search for this.

I also like a little fret board margin, off the high E string, to put my fat fingertip on. No strings on the fret ends, thank you.

I also love my 1.75 guitars for finger-style. That gnats wing difference is huge for this playing compared to the Gibson's narrower string spacing, for certain tunes.

Also If you get a 1.75" nut and the string spread is a bit too wide to move quickly on, you can have a custom replacement nut made with 1.5" string spacing and leave more margin of room next to the finger board edge.

I have done this on my CS 00 Walnut Martin. Although the narrower spread is just a slight difference it is amazing the ease of play if you want fast and certain bar chord movements are easier.

My thoughts exactly

I play both, but it is my opinion that the neck SHAPE...its girth, roundness and form...such as C shape necks...D shape necks...and V shapes necks, and there are still others... which make much more difference than the unbelievably tiny fraction of difference found between 1.68 and 1.72 To me a necks shape has everything to do with comfort playing.

Uhhhhh huh huh uhhhhh huh! You said girth!

Heh heh ya GIRTH!

We now return to the regular scheduled programming!

This topic has been pretty much thrashed to death, but that won't stop me from adding to the mix. [biggrin]

My good old Martin D-18V's 1-11/16 width got uncomfortable as my hands got older, so I sold it and bought a J-45 with 1.725. As some have said it doesn't seem like much but it makes a big difference to me. Maybe it's partly the neck shape, but it's real. Besides, I now like the Gibson sound better!

I'm sorry, I still don't get it. Apologies to those who feel nut width, and not neck shape and size makes a noticeable difference.

To me, it is like saying you drive your Shelby Mustang better with one of those plush, fuzzy steering wheel covers. It's the suspension, wheelbase, automatic steering, and tires - not the steering wheel cover.

If humans can play mandolins - I don't think a silly centimeter on the nut, divided by 6 strings can make a difference.

But, I'm guilty here of beating a dead horse.

I'd rather play than ponder.

Archived