Gibson Brands Forums

Help Identify Epiphone LP model

zteverhart

I just purchased an Epiphone LP off a kid for cheap. I cannot figure out what model it is and I want to verify if it's a fake.

I think it's a Standard 100. It has the neck with dot inlay, two exposed buckers, nice abalone Epiphone inlay on headstock, Gibson truss rod cover.

The serial begins with U701 which leads me to believe it was made Unsung (Korea?) in Jan 1997. Is this correct?

The thing that makes me think it might be a knockoff is that there is no Les Paul signature between the tuners on the headsock top. No binding. Looks like vintage sunburst of alder/maple body and alder/mahagony neck (2 piece bolt on).

Anyone have any ideas what model this may be?

Thanks,

Zach

img0275zh8.th.jpg

img0276lz9.th.jpg

img0278fu2.th.jpg

img0280vu1.th.jpg

Very nice looking guitar.

The serial begins with U701 which leads me to believe it was made Unsung (Korea?) in Jan 1997. Is this correct?

Yes.

I think it's a Standard 100. It has the neck with dot inlay, two exposed buckers, nice abalone Epiphone inlay on headstock, Gibson truss rod cover.

Yes.

Here is a link to the EPI web page:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=42&CollectionID=6

Enjoy.

Groovy. I paid $75 for it. Needs cleaning up. I love project guitars. I'm going to replace all the tuners with gold Kluson style and gold hardware on everything and replace the pickups. The 700T and 650T humbuckers arent that great.

I was thinking of doing some Dirty Dogs.

You might want to go to the Epiphone forum' date=' this is Gibson; sorry. Different guitars even though they are both Gibbys, the Epiphone board might have people there knowledgeable or try google. Its your friend[/quote']

Point well taken about a forum dedicated to Epiphone having more knowledgeable members about Epiphones but when you go to the forums link on Epiphone, this is the board you end up at.

DO they actually have fake LP-100's I would think that would be like counterfeiting 1 dollar bills sure it can be done but costs basically a dollar to make one so why would anyone do it?

exactly, what would be the point? I remember a member of other forum once asked if his squire was real or a fake... it ended up being a fake! And all I could think was WTF?

Squiers and Epiphones are already fake!

No they're not - they're fine guitars at a budget price. As good as a Fender or Gibson? No, but that doesn't mean they suck or are fakes. I know of one guy on alt.guitar who is a Strat fanatic; he buys Squiers, mods them a bit to his liking and uses them as his main stage guitars.

Haha' date=' I know =P~ [/quote']

Then why did you say it? One thing I get really tired of around here is the snobbery that goes with owning a Gibson. I own a couple - big f'ing deal. So do a lot of people. Not everyone has the money to buy an overpriced guitar where most of the cost is derived from brand recognition and fancy flamed wood that do nothing for tone or playability.

Anyway' date=' I wouldn't buy an Epiphone or a Squier myself. I think this doesn't belong on the Gibson forum...[/quote']

Once again...

Go to www.epiphone.com, click on "Community" then "Forums" and see where it takes you.

Not everyone has the money to buy an overpriced guitar where most of the cost is derived from brand recognition and fancy flamed wood that do nothing for tone or playability.

Your experiences with Gibsons is probably more recent or you just had too many bad luck with Gibson Les Pauls. I have great experiences with mid to late 80's Gibson Les Pauls' date=' so not only with mine.

Maybe Epiphone comes very close to the Les Pauls being made these days, could be possible. Remember that there's a difference between 'good' or 'great'. If you want a [i']great [/i]sounding Gibson Les Paul you have to look further than most of us do.

Don't assume. I have had very good experiences with my Gibsons but that doesn't change my opinion that they are very over priced. Fortunately, I bought my 1991 Custom Shop Custom and my 1991 SG Junior brand new at dealer cost - $1600 for the LP, $250 for the SG Jr. - in early 1992. Both are exceptional guitars but not all examples of that time were. And, if you want to compare cock sizes, I assure you that my Custom Shop LP was produced in much more limited quantities than yours. Try to find another one like this:

lp1.jpg

For the record, here's my SG Junior. Again, see how many you find just like it (and be sure to examine it very closely before searching):

sgj1.jpg

Since I was working at a music store when I bought them, I played a LOT of different Les Pauls of all models and that one was the sweetest cherry and I would gladly compare it to anything you have. But, again, I got it cheap instead of paying what would probably be around $5-6 thousand dollars today.

No idea what the top is. When I contacted Gibson about the guitar, they had no other info on it other than to guess it's probably like any other Custom but has Super 400 inlays. All I know is that it's a killer guitar and better than any other Les Paul available to me for purchase at the time and I played well over 50 different ones while working at that music store, including any with regular old maple tops like Standards.

...ok, ok...

Anyway, regarding the COA, I dont think fakes used 2 screw TRCs back in the 90s... hell even today some of them use 3 screw TRCs, and that (correct) bridge, and the (correct) neck binding... and the correct logo. We may be looking at the "correct/perfect" fake, made of course, in the Gibson factory in the US by Gibson employees using gibson machinery and materials, and doing it in time paid by gibson (they could have built it during lunch break tho).

Could be. I've been able to find info on three other guitars that are similar, but they are white and one has a Bigsby. Anything other than that turns out to be a Supreme and I think those weren't introduced until around 2002. I searched a lot too, including contacting Gibson, but this guitar seems to be unheard of. But, when I bought it, I didn't even want another black guitar let alone one with gold hardware, it was just a killer player so I put aside aesthetics and bought it for what it is - an awesome playing and sounding guitar.

Archived