Gibson Brands Forums

paging Dr. Frankenstein....

Marshall Paul

OK fellas, here's another to get you thinking again.

If you had a chance to walk into the custom shop factory, and tell the guy's there how you want your ultimate Gibby to be built, how would that be?

Starting with the body, what wood, model, year, colour scheme. Then fruit. What colour selector ring, mounting rings, pickguard (if any at all), control plates etc. Then hardware. What type. ABR/Nashville, type of nut, tuners. What electrics. Pups, pots, caps wiring.

All that kind of thing, you get the idea. Same as building the perfect woman, only with a git!

So, all you budding Dr. Frankenstein's...up to the lab, start assembling on that slab (don't let the thunder and lightning bother you, you'll need it later when you plug into the amp to bring your creature to life).

What will your creature (creation) look like, and sound like?

What's your ultimate Gibson Guitar?

[unsure]

OK fellas, here's another to get you thinking again.

If you had a chance to walk into the custom shop factory, and tell the guy's there how you want your ultimate Gibby to be built, how would that be?

Starting with the body, what wood, model, year, colour scheme. Then fruit. What colour selector ring, mounting rings, pickguard (if any at all), control plates etc. Then hardware. What type. ABR/Nashville, type of nut, tuners. What electrics. Pups, pots, caps wiring.

All that kind of thing, you get the idea. Same as building the perfect woman, only with a git!

So, all you budding Dr. Frankenstein's...up to the lab, start assembling on that slab (don't let the thunder and lightning bother you, you'll need it later when you plug into the amp to bring your creature to life).

What will your creature (creation) look like, and sound like?

What's your ultimate Gibson Guitar?

I've got two ideas...

One would simply be a '58 plaintop LP, but in gloss - no ageing, no VOS; brand spanking shiny! Every guitar store over here in the UK has them between VOS and heavy aged; gloss finish are very rare.

I'd want to hand-pick a plain top, but one with lots of character and grain; something that's going to POP under a Lemonburst or Tea fade finish.

Atop this; it would have some minor refinements such as a TonePros AVR-2 bridge, with GraphTech saddles; Graphtech nut; magnum locking Gotoh SD91's.

A vintage base with a few modern upgrade tweaks that I apply to my current roster of guitars, basically. The back would be a brown stain, more like the back of a '57 Goldtop, instead of a aniline red. Custombuckers, normal refinements for hardware, and no pickup over on the bridge (nod to Mr.Page...)

The other; this is slightly more monster-like...

It'd be one of the new long scale LP's, Firebird headstock (like JoBo's "Bonabird"). Black gloss top with normal binding, same aniline brown back as a '57. Custombuckers, and the other tweaks as above. The neck and headstock would make it much longer; custom case as well, methinks...

Oooh, intriguing. I like the idea of a full gloss, and the brownish back and sides. That'd be that walnut colour eh?

Alright fellas, there's the first monster staggering it's way down to the village....who's next?

Oooh, intriguing. I like the idea of a full gloss, and the brownish back and sides. That'd be that walnut colour eh?

Alright fellas, there's the first monster staggering it's way down to the village....who's next?

Yeah, basically just that.

Back of the guitar; like THIS

Front of the guitar, like THIS ONE

Black 355, ebony fret board, nibs, Lyre tail piece, VariTone, gold plated hardware, stereo

White SG Custom, 3 pick ups, ebony board, nibs, gold plated hardware

Blonde ES-150TD w/ trapeze tail piece, P94 pick ups, rosewood board but with nibs, chrome hardware

I'll also take another candy apple red Firebird VII, 3 mini humbuckers, Lyre tail piece, banjo tuners, ebony fret board, nibs.

Tell Bozeman to throw in an especially nice SJ-200, I want to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm not hard to please, I just want the best.

Seriously, what's the point of settling when you can just save up for a little bit longer and get to the point where you can't do any better? That way you don't suffer from buyer's remorse.

Gibson no longer makes guitars with the specifications that I want so I'll have to buy used.

An SG. Body is 1 solid piece of Mahoghany satin finish. Mahoghany neck. Ebony fretboard. Mother of pearl trapezoid inlay. Neck binding with nibs. inlay along headstock . Fat '50's neck. Medium jumbo frets. Tremelo with lyre tailpiece. Seymour Duncan '59 at neck and Pearlygate at bridge cream/black zebra. Dunlop straplocks. No pickguard. 22 fret. Body 1/4 thicker than traditional SG's. Kluson tuners.

I think that's what a lot of us are now doing is buying up used and then having a techie change it out to the way we want it. It's sort of the same as having the custom shop make one up for you.

OK, I'm going to give it a burl, see what my monster would look like.

Neck: One piece quarter sawn mahogany, long tenon, ebony fretboard, SS 6105 mini jumbo frets (deep set) nibbed, nickel Schaller locking tuners, 17 degree headstock, GraphTech graphite nut. 3 ply binding. Split diamond, Gibson name, and blank black TRC. Mother of pearl trapezoid inlay.

Body: A 1970's Custom HCB mahogany body, (preferably '70's wood), unchambered or weight relieved, with a maple cap, deep HCB red, white 7 ply binding, full gloss, with a cross of the aladine and walnut finish for the sides and back. Black cavity covers. And the cavity and wormholes painted in that frequency bleed ban paint throughout. White pickguard, selector ring, and pup mounting rings.

Hardware: An ABR style bridge made from a single billet of steel, nickel plated, with gold saddles and mounting posts. A solid steel stop bar in nickel with gold posts also. Stainless steel strap buttons.

Electrics: Double black, open coil alnico sisters (490R/498T), CTS 550K pots with gold tophat knobs with silver inserts and nickel pointers, 22 bumble bee cap for the bridge tone and a 15 bumble bee cap for the neck tone. The wiring harness fully shielded. Switchcraft 3 way selector switch, nickel with white tip. Silver solder on all connections.

Accessories: D'Addario or Ernie Ball 3-38 strings, Black OHSC with a plush blue/purple interior. And a freaky hippie Ace or Levy 70's style strap to finish it off!

And no 2015 Rodger Ramjet fruit either. And a final bill of $0.00.

Ahh....my creation. Now to make it live.....

:rolleyes:

Yeah, a nice AAAA flame maple cap in violet would definitely stand out in a crowd. But everything else stock standard eh? Easily pleased, but another monster jolted and staggering it's way down!

Yeah, a nice AAAA flame maple cap in violet would definitely stand out in a crowd. But everything else stock standard eh? Easily pleased, but another monster jolted and staggering it's way down!

Wait, wait not ready yet!

I wan't it not to be stock standard.

I was realy impressed with Donny's Classic and his Searcy Bucker demo video.

Searcy Custom Bucker's for me to! I wan't some re-mixed 57's, wan't the cream but with some more bite.

Oh, oh and a black snake-hide case with violet interior!

Have to protect my creation from the lynchmob.

Very nice add on. First person to come up with SearcyBuckers. Good to see.

And I like your case...very Count! (lol).

Yup, sice I was a kid I alway's loved horror comics/movies.

And the Undertaker was my favorite wrestler. I think that infected me with that sick black & violet fetish.

And of course the LP Goddes, I don't care if it is for lady's, it look's awesome.

If I see one someday for sale and I have the money i'll pull the trigger for sure.msp_wink.gif

23.5" scale, ES339 style body, but with spruce top and fully hollow except for a block under the pickups. ES175 style tail piece, but fixed adjustable bridge. Ebony finger board. Violin burst finish. Classic 57 humbucker at the neck, humbucker size P90 in the bridge. Grover locking tuners. Not sure if it can be done, but coil split for the humbucker and reverse wired to the P90 when in split position for noise canceling on both with switch in middle position.

I'm with VG-ear... shorter scale.

So... Actually an ES175 with a somewhat flattened back, roughly a 24" neck; '57 pups or equivalent so it's relatively warm but, with both pups "on," the ability to use technique for a more treble acoustic-y sound or move the picking hand up to the neck, a warmer jazz/acoustic sound.

One addition only, really - a master volume, probably about 2 inches toward the neck from the bridge to allow roughly the same tones but with the ability for the pinky finger to handle the volume to change the overall attack more or less as done on a pedal steel.

Basically, short of the master volume, there ain't much I'd change on it. TM bridge works fine for me.

The major work would be a slightly shorter scale, ideally to around 24", a nut cut for my light strings of choice rather than heavier... Perhaps a center block under the bridge more to stabilize it from in the rapid and huge "climate changes" we get annually where I live that sometimes arise in a single day.

But to really get a "change," add a piezo to the bridge just for giggles, with hidden/semi-hidden controls so it still runs through the single mono jack. Something like the Schaller Flagship preamp and bridge worked out that those controls would be on/under the pickguard.

I have a similar size body on an old '50s archtop that does have a 24-inch scale; even with the baseball bat neck I dislike, it's almost as easy to play as a more modern neck.

Colors? Not that big a deal; a normal sunburst or whatever. Ditto tuners - if Gibson put's 'em on and the setup has the nut and bridge set appropriately it should work well. Yeah, ebony fingerboard might be nice but no big deal.

But... all this assumes it's to be a gift from Gibson... I think the neck/scale shortening might be most difficult. Then again, figure drop the first fret on a 24 3/4 for fret distancing?

Too... ain't really had concerns about any sorta frets on a decent guitar as long as they werent' scratchy or rough for whatever reason.

Actually a zero fret isn't all that bad an idea, although I have mixed emotions about the current iteration found on the LP. Robot tuning likely wouldn't get that much use on a 175 type body, but if it came with the package, fine and I might do some alternate tunings I don't take the time to do on stage currently. If not... well, at this point most of my pickin' is in standard tuning anyway and I know how to tune to it.

Some might question why not more circuitry to eliminate the habit of archtops to feed back. I could take it or leave it, depending.

m

I'm so happy with what I have..but...and it's a big but......I could do with another. I want an Es-335 12 string. So here it is:

Exotic maple, either spalted with clear gloss finish or 5 grade quilted done in a tequila sunrise burst or ocean color (since I live in Malibu near the coast). Burst bucker pro's with splittable coils. Thin profile neck, and tone pros vintage kluson type keys and bridge and tailpiece (if they make 12 stringers). SS jumbo frets. Designer high bling inlays and diamond headstock inlay.

Archived