Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (yesterday) with a new J-15!

NewStrings

With absolutely no intention of buying another guitar of any time (so what the heck was I doing at a guitar store????), I saw 2 Gibson J-15's hanging on the wall. I was curious as 2 why this store would even care one as they carry a very small inventory. Turns out, one was used with a $400. price reduction. Now I said used, but I looked it over and not a freakin' mark anywhere. Nothing. No pick guard swirls, nothing. So, took it down, strummed a few chords and I guess you know the rest of the story. LOVE!!! (yes, it was Valentine's Day, so that might explain a few things!!).

It followed me home and I just haven't been able to put it down! That is the reason I am posting this a day late! I must confess, I have a true love of Gibson acoustics, I currently own a Northern Super Jumbo (limited edition only 50 made). So.... without further adieu and a lot of mushy dialogue regarding how this guitar speaks to me in every language, here are some pics I took today. The only modification I made was taking out the Tusq saddle and made a custom bone saddle from a blank I had purchase from Stewmac. But honestly, can't tell the difference between the bone and the Tusq.

DSC_0001_1.jpg

DSC_0003_2.jpg

DSC_0017_1.jpg

DSC_0025_1.jpg

DSC_0024_1.jpg

So back to playing with a big grin on my face!!

NewStrings

Hey NewStrings - Congrats on the new acquisition - been a few of those around here lately - I've liked every one I have ever played, they are surprising animals. [thumbup]

No kidding, took me completely by surprise!! I think Gibson has a real winner here and I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of these around!!

Thanks for the kind words! [thumbup]

NewStrings

Congrats on a beautiful guitar. May I ask what a northern jumbo is?

Yorkville sound via Long and Mc quade Limited Editions.. For the Canadian Market.. They have done a few models over the past 10 years..

That J15 aka J45 is pretty Nice there.. Congrats.. I was playing one yesterday.. Not bad at all..

Congrats on a beautiful guitar. May I ask what a northern jumbo is?

Exactly what Slimt said in his reply... made for Long & McQuade as part of a limited edition they put out. Here are a few pics to tell the rest of the story.....

DSC_0070_1.jpg

DSC_0064_2.jpg

Thanks everyone for the congrats and wishes --- I truly feel I have found that one very special guitar that was missing in my life. The Northern Super Jumbo is truly special and now I have this J-15 that compliments it so well.

NewStrings

Congratulations on the new guitar, the J-15's are truly stunning. I'm surprised Gibson haven't realised what a winner they are and put the price up!

Ian

Shhhhh! They will hear you!! Let's keep it our secret!!! I'm sure they will at some point though!!! [-(

By the way Jorj, I like your walnut back -- nicely figured, mine is kinda plain looking. [bored]

NewStrings

Exactly what Slimt said in his reply... made for Long & McQuade as part of a limited edition they put out. Here are a few pics to tell the rest of the story.....

DSC_0070_1.jpg

DSC_0064_2.jpg

Thanks everyone for the congrats and wishes --- I truly feel I have found that one very special guitar that was missing in my life. The Northern Super Jumbo is truly special and now I have this J-15 that compliments it so well.

NewStrings

nice Jumbo! So they call it the northern jumbo for us Canadians. ? Neat

Shhhhh! They will hear you!! Let's keep it our secret!!! I'm sure they will at some point though!!! [-(

I would not be too worried. Gibson and now Collings seem to have seen the wisdom of the marketing plan Martin has been using offering good quality guitars for the more budget minded. Do not know how profitable the J-15s and J-35s are but I would guess they are profitable enough.

Oh really? I've been to long and McQuade many times never seen one. Guess I'll have to make another 5 hour trip to edmonton :(

They are coming out with other models.. I seen on saturday a taylor that was done as well..

Archived