Gibson Brands Forums

1973 Grabber

MS25

Hi, I'm new to the site. Thank you for having me.

I've got an early 70's Gibson Grabber bass. Ebony finish. Serial number is pressed into the headstock, is a six digit number beginning with 00 with MADE IN USA under it.

I would like to verify the production &/or shipping date for the bass.

Gibson rep said "Grabber models were first listed in catalogs in 1974". But according to a few vintage guitar sites, there was one Grabber shipped in '73 and this serial number appears to match that year.

Unfortunately the Gibson rep also told me they, "do not have archived information on production numbers or shipping records for instruments built in the 1970’s."

The chances of my having the one & only Grabber shipped in '73 are pretty slim, but so far everything is matching up.

Can anyone here advise on a way to confirm the production &/or shipping date for an instrument like this?

Thank you,

MS25

Even if the number matches up to a Grabber built in 1973, that does not mean the guitar was shipped in '73.

The only way to prove your case is if you have an original sales receipt with a 1973 date on it, or the dealer it was bought from new can provide an dealer invoice with that date.

In other words, could it be the one,.... Yes

Can it EVER be proven,.... probably not.

If Gibson doesn't archive that info probably next to impossible to find it elsewhere.

The kicker is.... that if you found published info that one Grabber was shipped that year, then the shipping ledgers DO exist (somewhere). The other possible way to prove/disprove your notion, is warranty registrations. I'm sure the warranty mail-in card asked for "date of purchase".

Neither of these sets of records are available to the general public, nor most company employees for that matter. But,.... they do exist in some dusty dark corner of a warehouse somewhere. The "shipping records" have been cited in many publications, so obviously authors and researchers have seen them.

I do have a particular personal interest in your topic for I own (bought new in '76) a 1975 serial numbered Les Paul Standard. Published Gibson shipping records show ONE shipped in 1975. Is mine THE ONE? I'll never know. But,... as I have a '76 sales receipt, and they only shipped 24 more in 1976,.... I CAN document I have one of the first 25 production model Les Paul Standards as reintroduced in 1975.

Sweet guitar! And nice to have the proof of being at least the top 25 of that model.

You're right, those ledgers must exist somewhere. And if these vintage sites are offering the shipping history of the Grabber,

they must have found it somewhere. I'm going to keep digging and will keep this post up-to-date with what I find.

The best way to date it these basses is with the date code on the back of the pots. That's not a 100% sure way of dating it but it's about all you have got for anything made before 76.

+1 Searcy..

If the pots are '73 or older they'd add a lot of support to the "The One" theory. Even if you can't prove it with documentation, a good plausible story could add some value (IMHO). msp_biggrin.gif

Archived