Gibson Brands Forums

Hello Music Hello Tweed

duluthdan

Received a tip to look at HelloMusic for a Tweed guitar case whilst I am airing out the musty smell of the old Lifton case that came with my recent J-50 acquisition. Had to share this - no affiliation - the Tweed case was only $62, with the shipping, and fits the guitar very nicely. It is not often that I feel like I underpaid for something - but this case has more value than what I paid. Plush brown fuzzy interior, not glue off-gassing smell, solid and hefty. Was a great tip form an AGFer.

P3191011_zpshuc4mjom.jpg

Sounds like a good deal. My 1965 J-50 didn't include a case, so I'm keeping it in the Hiscox Pro2 that I got last year for a trip. That should protect it from just about anything. :)

I still have the original chip board case from my 1974 J-50. It's in terrible shape with the cover peeling off and a moldy smell, so I put it up in the attic years ago. I remember getting that case because I couldn't afford the hard case in 1974, and always assumed it was just something the music store had around. But looking at ads for 70's J-50s recently, I saw a couple with an original case that looked like mine. So maybe it was actually a Gibson case?

Sounds like a good deal. My 1965 J-50 didn't include a case, so I'm keeping it in the Hiscox Pro2 that I got last year for a trip. That should protect it from just about anything. :)

You are probably better off. While I have a bunch of original cases I tend to keep the guitars in newer ones. I just bought an Armitage case for my '42 J-50 (has to be heaviest acoustic case I have ever run into) and will soon be buying a Guardian Vintage 00 Deep Body case (nice 7-ply affair) for my Oahu Nick Lucas. There are also now a couple of companies making reproduction red line cases which will look great if you have a pre-1947 Gibson.

The last year Gibson provided the brown Lifton case was 1960 so your '65 would not have come with one anyway. Staring in 1961 Gibsons generally came with the black Victoria Luggage case with yellow plush interior. Sometime that decade Gibson started adding their logo to the case. Not sure when but certainly by 1968. For my two cents though the Victoria cases are actually better than the earlier Lifton cases.

Received a tip to look at HelloMusic for a Tweed guitar case whilst I am airing out the musty smell of the old Lifton case that came with my recent J-50 acquisition. Had to share this - no affiliation - the Tweed case was only $62, with the shipping, and fits the guitar very nicely.

Based on specs, those Gearlux cases are pretty much the same as the tweed Guardian cases. That price though is hard to beat. Nice deal!

Unable to get a second mortgage for a brown case I've been looking at these fellas locally. They're very pretty cases.

Looks good Dan!

Don't know where you live but I am guessing I will not be shopping there anytime soon. I generally see original brown Gibson Lifton cases in nice condition in the $300 range for a felt lined case and $350 for a plush lined although an original case for a J-200 or LG-2 will run you more. Last year I scored a 1950s black Lifton for $90. Although in really good shape, it did take me a bit to get the musty smell out of it. That spray stuff you use for cat pee on the carpet and some fresh air finally did the trick.

Don't know where you live but I am guessing I will not be shopping there anytime soon. I generally see original brown Gibson Lifton cases in nice condition in the $300 range for a felt lined case and $350 for a plush lined although an original case for a J-200 or LG-2 will run you more. Last year I scored a 1950s black Lifton for $90. Although in really good shape, it did take me a bit to get the musty smell out of it. That spray stuff you use for cat pee on the carpet and some fresh air finally did the trick.

In the emerald isle zomby.

Gibsons are thin on the ground , never mind being able to pick n choose a case. If you want a brown case here you need to buy the guitar that comes with it. And they're hens teeth .

If you offered me one for $90 (or the equivalent £'s) I'd let your cat pee in it.

The tweedy jobs that Dan's got hold of though , someone has obviously shipped a couple of those in to the country and are reasonable enough. Black plastic cases don't turn me on , regardless of them saying gibson on them , don't turn me on. I'd like a old fashioned lookin thing .

In the emerald isle zomby.

Gibsons are thin on the ground , never mind being able to pick n choose a case. If you want a brown case here you need to buy the guitar that comes with it. And they're hens teeth .

That would explain it. Even here the cases bring enough that many folks sell them separately from the guitar.

The Armitage cases, by the way, are covered in a thick canvas.

That would explain it. Even here the cases bring enough that many folks sell them separately from the guitar.

A pet peave of mine is guitars sold seperatly from thie cases. Used J45-TV, did it come with its Cali- Case? No. Used J45 Legend, did it come with its Red-Line case? No. The newly acquired "57 J50 came with its original brown Lifton case, that's stand up deal.

A pet peave of mine is guitars sold seperatly from thie cases.

That hasn't been a problem for me, but I don't buy very many guitars. :) Got my 2008 J-50 used at Guitar Center last year and it included the original Gibson case. I also got my 1965 J-50 from Guitar Center and no case was included. Maybe they actually had one but didn't give it to me since I talked them way down on the price? [tongue] I didn't want the case anyway. Beat up old cases don't do anything for me, I would rather get a lower price on just the guitar and store it in a modern case that will protect it better.

For those who find the the brown exterior edging a bit contrasty on the HelloMusic case, here is another option I've found that also fits the Gibson slopes quite well: Musicians Gear tweed case. Purchased when Musicians Friend offered more tweed than the 1967 faculty lounge at Oxford. Initially made with more of an electric red shag, they've now toned the case down with a more subtle shade of burgundy. Higher quality latch hardware than I've seen on custom made cases. Acceptable pleather handle with stitching.

The only thing I have ever been able to find on MF is a Tweed case for electric guitars.

I'm not savvy at doing links, but just as posted above on the tweed dread case at MF, you'll find a "Musicians Gear Classical Guitar Case" in tweed as well. Just looked at it & it's currently going for more, but when on sale (which happens frequently), it sells for less than sixty bucks.

Archived