Gibson Brands Forums

Leslie West

Karloff

How about a more classic version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrarkUzRJ4w

I must openly admit, I just don't get this song...

To me it just doesn't fit on so many levels, if I'm watching Westerns or in a Westerns mood this song doesn't fit. It's a little reserved and attempts to reach too far I think. I'm not sure what it's really going-for...

Considering it's a Jack Bruce penned song, I can't picture/imagine Clapton doing this one either, even if I can hear shades of Cream in the melody...

It seems like it tries too hard to make some epic emotional point that just never materializes...

Having said that, there's actually alot of Mountain's music (Leslie West as I'm a guitar guy) that just doesn't fit or make sense to me. They reach in alot of direction and never actually reach any of the destinations they set out in sojourn of. Then he pulls off tunes that are monster great such as the best known; "Mississippi Queen" and a host of their staples that are just righteous and kick @$$ and put Leslie West squarely in The Pantheon meant for The Guitar Gods...

He's sublime and then they go and do tunes like these that I just cannot connect with/to...

I suspect it means something particular to them and the original circumstances in choosing it for a set that we'll never know/get...

I love Leslie West and think he's exceptional and one of the greats, but some of Mountain's stuff just doesn't make sense to me...

It was the age of sex, drugs, and rock & roll and I suspect it probably has to do with the spirit of experimentation that was going on in that era when they first were performing that tune...

How about a more classic version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrarkUzRJ4w

I must openly admit, I just don't get this song...

To me it just doesn't fit on so many levels, if I'm watching Westerns or in a Westerns mood this song doesn't fit. It's a little reserved and attempts to reach too far I think. I'm not sure what it's really going-for...

Considering it's a Jack Bruce penned song, I can't picture/imagine Clapton doing this one either, even if I can hear shades of Cream in the melody...

It seems like it tries too hard to make some epic emotional point that just never materializes...

Having said that, there's actually alot of Mountain's music (Leslie West as I'm a guitar guy) that just doesn't fit or make sense to me. They reach in alot of direction and never actually reach any of the destinations they set out in sojourn of. Then he pulls off tunes that are monster great such as the best known; "Mississippi Queen" and a host of their staples that are just righteous and kick @$$ and put Leslie West squarely in The Pantheon meant for The Guitar Gods...

He's sublime and then they go and do tunes like these that I just cannot connect with/to...

I suspect it means something particular to them and the original circumstances in choosing it for a set that we'll never know/get...

I love Leslie West and think he's exceptional and one of the greats, but some of Mountain's stuff just doesn't make sense to me...

It was the age of sex, drugs, and rock & roll and I suspect it probably has to do with the spirit of experimentation that was going on in that era when they first were performing that tune...

I don't know your age, but some of the groups from that time, were what they were for song styles. Not every song had a meaning. You really had to see "Theme For An Imaginary Western" played live, by either Mountain, or Jack Bruce. Jack liked the American old west.

Archived