Gibson Brands Forums

Review: EDS-1275 in Pelham Blue

PelhamBlueFire

Hello,

As promissed, I will now post a couple of pictures of my new and special guitar, the EDS-1275. As you can see in the pictures, it has a finish you won't see a lot on this particular guitar. "You know those guitars, that are like double-guitars." Nicely finished in Pelham Blue, a color you may also find on your Dave Grohl ES-335. First, I will post some pictures I took earlier today. After that, I will give you a review that's as objective as possible. I will try to make this post as short as possible for you guys. Otherwise, it will be quite a post. [scared]

Pictures:

IMG_0545_zpsq31t5ejt.jpg

IMG_0546_zpsiniuidh5.jpg

First impressions:

When I entered the store, I was pumped up and full of energy. I barely slept the night before, but I was still energetic as hell. When the guy from the store opened the case, I instantly saw how nice this color actually looks in real life. Pelham blue is a very fresh color; what it also tends to do, is make the EDS-1275 look less big, for some reason. The chrome fits perfectly with this color; gold would have been a let-down for me, as I hate gold hardware. The Gibson Custom Shop really did a fine job, because the guitar was absolutely flawless. From the very first moment, I was amazed.

Sound:

The sound is fantastic on both necks. Very punchy on the 6-string, and nice and clear tones on the 12-string. With the sounds this guitar can produce, you can play just about any style of music with it. I will use this instrument mainly for rock music, and it will get the job done for me perfectly. Given the fact that switching necks is a breeze, you can change your sound rapidly, too. You can go from floating like a butterfly, to stinging like a bee in a heartbeat.

Versatility:

Capo on fret X, and you need to play a solo? No problem. Alternate tuning on the 12-string, and you like to solo without going crazy about where to play the notes in a funky tuning. No problem. That's what I love about this instrument; if you know how to get the most out of this thing, you may find that this guitar gives you a ton of options.

Playability:

Both necks are lightning fast. My other guitars play great, but my EDS-1275 just plays even better. It's not just about speed...it's also the shape of the neck. You have quite a solid, slightly chunky neck; however, its fretboards are not wide at all. Your hand will just have a good grip on the neck, and I found I could play faster and more relaxed on these necks. The action and intonation were perfect, as the guys in the store set it up for me. Didn't need took much adjusting, but the necks were a little too straight coming out of the box. But God knows how long this thing's journey was, so that's alright.

The 12-string is something I need to get more experience with, though. It's a much more narrow neck, compared to the Epiphone. But I actually like that, to be honest. I just haven't played a whole lot of 12-string in my life. That is about to change.

The guitar is very comfortable, because of how Gibson did a good job on the bodyshape. It's just nicely rounded, and quite ergonomic. Both necks are easy to reach, so no problem there. The upper-fret acces can be hard due to the fact there's a lot of wood up there, but it's comparible to a Les Paul.

Weight:

My EDS-1275 is not that heavy, especially not in the body. It's a bit neck-heavy, of course. That's what I expected, and it's something I need to do something about, frankly. If the guitar didn't have the tendency to dive a little bit, I could easily use it for a full set. As I said, I don't find it heavy, at all. When I'm switching necks, I need to watch those necks. Sometimes when I try to switch from 12 to 6, I find that the 6-string neck takes a rapid dive.

I have already found a good posture that eliminates a lot of this problem, but I may elect to move the strap button to the back of the 6-string. That should take care of this issue. Frankly, I won't use this thing for a whole show - rather 1/3 of our total songs - but I want to feel secure when switching necks. That's it, really. The guitar isn't as heavy as I expected. Must be the luck of the draw when it came to the wood, I guess.

Conclusion:

I am overall very satisfied with my EDS-1275. It looks fantastic, plays extremely well, and will make a fine addition to my collection. The only downside is the neck-heavy part, but that's the nature of the beast. The adjustment I mentioned could potentially solve this issue. It's a unique instrument in an unique finish, and I am having a blast with it. This instrument never fails to turn heads, and it's easy to see why.

That's my short review on this guitar. If you have any particular questions or comments, feel free to speak up. I am very passionate about this instrument, so I look forward to your pictures/experiences/questions.

Take care

It finally turned up! You Beauty mate, what a ripper! Congrats.

I see they've dropped the claw back to it's original position. Makes it easier to string.

And they're using one 3 way switch for both necks instead of the old 1273 two 3 way switch. Interesting.

Like I stated in an earlier post, be aware of that neck selector switch and your right elbow.

A great addition mate, your going to have a ball!

Interesting...

Before I go putting a hole in the body I'd simply attempt different straps to see if that might work in addressing the neck-dive nature. A wide strap or possibly a wide and padded or wide and rawhide or suede strap will increase surface area contact, friction, and strap position stability which will likely relieve and/or work against the neck-dive nature, possibly well enough to alleviate it to your satisfaction...

Nice Axe! Post some viddies, both demo and gig performance...

Thanks for all of your great posts, guys. I really appreciate it!

Interesting...

Before I go putting a hole in the body I'd simply attempt different straps to see if that might work in addressing the neck-dive nature. A wide strap or possibly a wide and padded or wide and rawhide or suede strap will increase surface area contact, friction, and strap position stability which will likely relieve and/or work against the neck-dive nature, possibly well enough to alleviate it to your satisfaction...

Nice Axe! Post some viddies, both demo and gig performance...

As for the neck-dive problem, I have yet to find a strap that really works well-enough to alleviates it enough for my liking. Even my SG Standard has this. I have tried numerous Gibson straps at my local dealer, including the "Fattboy," but they just don't work against the dive, at all. Do you have any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

So, I talked about the neck dive before in my review. I also mentioned that I was looking for a sollution for this issue. First, I tried to solve the problem by tring different straps. That didn't really help, so I tried a more radical approach, I asked a very experienced luthier to make an extra strap button on the heel of the 6-string. And guess what, it works like a charm. Now, the guitar is always in a comfortable position when I'm standing with it. I'm very happy with this particular change. I didn't remove the strap button on the back of the 12-string, because that would just leave an ugly hole in the body.

The guitar has quickly become one of my favorite, if not my favorite guitar, at this point. It's just too damn fun to have two necks. I'm a big fan of 12-string electric guitar playing; I just love the sound of it. I use the EDS-1275 in a lot of different situations. Alternate tunings, certain songs that require a quick switch, capo situations, or just when I feel like adding something different to a song.

I thought I'd share this update with you guys. I know some of you were interested to learn how I dealt with the neck-heavy nature of the beast. Until next time, when I might be able to make a decent recording of this double-banger.

Thanks for all of your great posts, guys. I really appreciate it!

As for the neck-dive problem, I have yet to find a strap that really works well-enough to alleviates it enough for my liking. Even my SG Standard has this. I have tried numerous Gibson straps at my local dealer, including the "Fattboy," but they just don't work against the dive, at all. Do you have any suggestions?

They're not real common, but there are some 3-point straps that are more of a harness that distribute the weight of the guitar more evenly using the original strap pins. That way, you don't have to drill new mounting holes in the guitar.

Actually wish they'd made something like that back in the late 70's for my Ibanez lawsuit version of this guitar. That thing really called out for a little better balance these straps would've afforded. Just owing to the design, can't imagine your Gibson hangs all that much differently.

Nice guitar BTW. Altogether too heavy for an deteriorating old fart such as myself, but do enjoy it in good health!

Archived