Gibson Brands Forums

Which way do I steer?

brazil66

I'm out in the Boonies, and can't really try either one in person, but I'm looking to get some sort of ES-335 type unit. I'm considering the Epiphone Sheraton 2, and the new Gibson ES-335 Studio looks real fine too. Obviously, the Gibsons' just over twice as much , as you know. But,I can swing either one , money wise.

Any thoughts about these two models would help......is the gibson worth the extra stretch...i see it has no binding. Tell me .....what do ya'll think. Experience? I'd have to order one on the web, and hope to get a good one.

Also,i should mention, I did have one of those Gibson Midtown Customs, that had the neck backbow problem that forced me to sell it to avoid a costly repair. Wonder if the Studio is potentially to have this neck problem still.( one way truss rod) all over again.

Thanks.

michael

I can't speak for the Gibson ES335 since i do not own one. But i do own a 1993 Epiphone Sheraton II and have owned numerous others as well and they are great guitars. I suppose you could upgrade the Epiphone with Gibson stuff but they are just fine as they are. I can afford the Gibson but keep playing my Epi and love it.

...is the gibson worth the extra stretch...

I'd also consider the Epiphone ES-335 Pro. I've got an Epi Dot, which is much the same guitar, and it is really superb. As far as I'm concerned, the pickups are fine. The pickups in the Gibson would be better, but in this case, the Gibson costs a full three times more than the Epi ES-335 Pro. The Gibson can't be that much better. Much of that difference must be just because of the name Gibson on the headstock instead of Epiphone. I have to admit, that does account for something. It's a Gibson. Still, three times? I'd get the Epi.

If only owning one and can afford it Gibson is the way to go.

On the Sheraton might want to wait for the Sheraton II Pro that disappeared from the site with the upgraded PUs and coil tap.(Spring release maybe?)

The stock Sheraton has the old Epiphone PUs so when you are done swapping stuff closer to price of the Gibson anyway.

I have two recent production Sheraton 11 and I really like them. I also have a 335 pro. I mostly use my Sherrys for clean playing and the pro for distortion because the pups are a bit hotter. The Sheratons have slimer necks were the 335 pro and dots are chunky. I think the Sheratons are worth the extra because of the inlays and more ornate look.

Thank you all for your experienced perspectives, helps a lot. When I see a heavy hitter like G.E. Smith on Saturday Nite live, playing one, gotta factor that in, he can , and does afford any guitar he could possibly want. So, maybe it'll just have to be one of each. Still.....would like to try them first, maybe.

michael

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've decide to go for the Gibson 2015 ES-335 Memphis Studio. Looks good. But , while i'm waiting to sell off a few guitars, I bought a Epi ES- 335 Pro Limited Edition....to mess with for now. It's a beautiful guitar, but as a builder (acoustic), some of the fun will be in upgrading some of the hardware. Thinking of changing pick-ups to the Seth Lover / Seymour Duncan PAF units , and that idiotic plastic nut has to go.

My question now is....can you recommend (I have no experience sourcing / knowing) : a better saddle unit (lightly aged), stop tailpiece (is aluminum better?). Does one upgrade the wiring harness, while doing the better pickups? Also looking at the coil taps, pots (250-500?), and 3 way switch too. Is there one supplier that addresses these changes with a good product? I know I'll be over invested when done, but it's for the fun of it, and good stewardship really.

Michael

post-27464-068225800 1425566843_thumb.jpg

I can forgive the plastic nut given the price of these guitars but yeah that was one of the first things I changed.

Epiphone seems to have (or had) problems with pickup selector switches. If the wiring works there's no real reason to change it but if something goes wrong, just replace the lot and use a Switchcraft toggle. If you know how, it's not actually that hard to get the pots etc in and out through the F-hole.

Personally I'd always recommend 500k pots with humbuckers. I also like 15n tone caps because they seem to give the best rolled-back tone.

Low-output humbuckers would be traditional for a semi-hollow but they don't have enough turns of wire in one coil to split well. PAF-ish 'buckers will have about 5,000 turns of wire per coil but the single coil pickups you're trying to emulate might have around 7,000 (forget DCR it's the number of turns of wire which really counts).

One way to deal with this is to put a tap in the second coil and wire up the split so it includes one full coil and part of the second coil. You'll have to wind your own but it's actually a very easy skill to learn - particularly if you're a luthier and therefore used to working with patience, care and precision. Once you crack that, you could even create your own custom line of electric guitars.

I like Jimmy Page wiring in a dual humbucker guitar for coil splits, out-of-phase sounds, etc. The results can vary quite a bit depending on the way different pickups blend together in each of the settings but you're bound to find a few you like.

If you go to the Gibson side of the forums, "they" will say "Get a Gibson". If you go to the Epiphone side, they, most likely, will say get an Epiphone...or a Gibson, if you can afford one. Me, I'll take 4 or 5 Epiphone's over 1 Gibson...99% of the time msp_mellow.gif

but hey...that's just me...msp_sleep.gif

Archived