Gibson Brands Forums

1955 Gibson es 5 blonde

Gibson Artist

I saw this ad on Craigslist. It looks like a fake, look at the back of the neck, why does the black line not matchup with the headstock?? Anyone with knowledge of these think this is real or fake? http://providence.craigslist.org/msg/4879428668.html Here are two pictures, if it is real, man is it beautiful! Gibson has some freaking gorgeous hollowbodies past and present.

00B0B_2gOAGGd7xPG_600x450_zps2q8yzz6v.jpg

00y0y_894oH7Ck2es_600x450_zpskvoprqyx.jpg

Difficult to tell from the photos, but it looks like it has had a neck/ headstock break that has been repaired at some point and that is why the black neck line doesn't match up. I'd have to check my reference books, but I think it was 1955 when they changed the electronics to the Switchmaster layout, so perhaps this is one of the last original style.

I'm sure some others will help you with the authenticity of this guitar, but it looks real to me and I don't recall ever seeing a fake ES 5 so would imagine it's legit. I'll have a look up in some of my reference books for shipping totals of Natural ES 5's that year and post them when I get time.

Looked up some more info; In 1955 only 11 natural ES 5's were shipped, making them very rare. By mid 1955 they had been replaced by the second variant of the model.

It would be easier to tell it's authenticity if there was a photo of the orange label w/ serial number, but from looking at the pics it seems to be period correct in other aspects, except maybe for the top hat knobs?

Here's a 1951 ES 5 for you to compare: http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Gibson-ES-5-1951-25059

Might be worth posting your original question in the vintage Gibson or ID section for more replies if you are considering buying it. $10,000 seems about right for vintage ES 5's, but worth getting an expert to verify if you are parting with that kind of money [smile]

Guest Farnsbarns

I see no reason to doubt it. Guitar had a stinger which looks like it's worn off or been chipped. I don't see that as a reason to think it's fake. Why would anyone fake it? There are more valuable guitars which are much easier to fake.

I see no reason to doubt it. Guitar had a stinger which looks like it's worn off or been chipped. I don't see that as a reason to think it's fake. Why would anyone fake it? There are more valuable guitars which are much easier to fake.

After looking at the pictures i think it is legit. I jus dont get why he said it was refinished but still wants 10k? That guitar worth that much even with a refinish? I thought most hollowbodies are/were much cheaper than their solid body cousins?

After looking at the pictures i think it is legit. I jus dont get why he said it was refinished but still wants 10k? That guitar worth that much even with a refinish? I thought most hollowbodies are/were much cheaper than their solid body cousins?

It's craigslist. I rarely see anyone offering anything less that full retail on there. Sometime full retail plus about 10% and you have to go get it "NO LOWBALLERS!"

It's craigslist. I rarely see anyone offering anything less that full retail on there. Sometime full retail plus about 10% and you have to go get it "NO LOWBALLERS!"

Well, it's certainly very handsome. What a big beautiful guitar! Dont see many triple p-90 guitars out there do you? Only one i know of is the Epiphone Riviera with the p93s i think right? Found this video, the only really GOOD review as this guy actually gives the history. He says Gibson by putting this out in 1949, put out the first triple pickup guitars before Fender used them in stratocasters, i never knew!

Well, it's certainly very handsome. What a big beautiful guitar! Dont see many triple p-90 guitars out there do you? Only one i know of is the Epiphone Riviera with the p93s i think right? Found this video, the only really GOOD review as this guy actually gives the history. He says Gibson by putting this out in 1949, put out the first triple pickup guitars before Fender used them in stratocasters, i never knew!

Yes, the ES 5 was quite a ground breaking instrument. It was out before the electric versions of the L5 & Super 400 too. A very underrated and beautiful guitar that got overshadowed by the L5CES with carved solid woods construction as opposed to laminate on the ES 5. If you want to know more about the history of Gibson archtops you should find a copy of Gibson Electrics: The Classic Years by A.R. Duchossoir which is a wealth of information and there are other great books like Gibson Super 400: The Art of the Fine Guitar and a few others.

They reissued the ES 5 in the 90's with the original 3 P-90 layout as well as the Switchmaster. I've got a 2010 ES-5 Switchmaster which is an amazing guitar with a big warm tone. I'd love the P-90 version too, but they discontinued it. Epiphone did make a Zephyr Blues Deluxe a number of years ago which was basically an ES 5 copy; http://www.gbase.com/gear/epiphone-by-gibson-zephyr-blues-deluxe-es-5-2

Yes, the ES 5 was quite a ground breaking instrument. It was out before the electric versions of the L5 & Super 400 too. A very underrated and beautiful guitar that got overshadowed by the L5CES with carved solid woods construction as opposed to laminate on the ES 5. If you want to know more about the history of Gibson archtops you should find a copy of Gibson Electrics: The Classic Years by A.R. Duchossoir which is a wealth of information and there are other great books like Gibson Super 400: The Art of the Fine Guitar and a few others.

They reissued the ES 5 in the 90's with the original 3 P-90 layout as well as the Switchmaster. I've got a 2010 ES-5 Switchmaster which is an amazing guitar with a big warm tone. I'd love the P-90 version too, but they discontinued it. Epiphone did make a Zephyr Blues Deluxe a number of years ago which was basically an ES 5 copy; http://www.gbase.com/gear/epiphone-by-gibson-zephyr-blues-deluxe-es-5-2

Ah, i will look for that Epi, seems pretty rare. Thanks for the info.

Archived