Gibson Brands Forums

Help me decide between these

mojogood

I decided to Look for a J-45 Legend but I've since found 3 other possibilities. First is a John Walker wise river. Here is the link to the actual guitar. It has some finish cracks and a few dings, scratches. Price is $2700. My link

Next is a Custom Shop SJ Banner 1943 reissue, 1 of 50 copied by Gibson from an original '43 SJ belonging to John Thomas, a collector. It's $2300 and here is a video of the exact guitar. It's in excellent condition.

Lastly is a 1934 original jumbo reissue for $3300.

I hope to have a deep bass thunk and a dry woody tone for Travis picking and a little blues. I wonder if the custom SJ would be as high quality as the Fuller's customs and the Legends.

So, how do these offerings stack up? Thank you

Jess,

Can't comment on the Walker other then the shape of the pickguard is pretty funky for this style of guitar.

My SJ 43 Reissue is every bit the build quality of the Fullers Customs and the Legend. [ I used to own one of their J35's and a Legend ]

Sound wise they are basically the same but I like the looks better of the SJ then I did the Legend. I didn't care for the way Gibson colored the binding on the Legend. I know small stuff but it matters.

Looks like both the SJ and the Walker are sold, so you need to come up with more alternatives. I liked the SJ, but would want to see the complete specs on it.

Nick, I own the SJ in the video. It was sold as a 43 Reissue but I also think it is one of the fifty that were made as part of the John Thomas project where he loaned three guitars to Gibson.

Nick, I own the SJ in the video. It was sold as a 43 Reissue but I also think it is one of the fifty that were made as part of the John Thomas project where he loaned three guitars to Gibson.

Thanks. It's a small world. That guitar sounds really, really good to me.

Without playing them first it is a free for all. You might as well ask a Magic 8 Ball. You pays your money you takes your chances.

If it was me I would have checked out the Walker (or the mentioned Kopp) but only because I already own a 1942 Gibson J-50 and am superficial enough to be attracted by the lure of a booteek guitar.

Archived