Gibson Brands Forums

Glen Campbell Honored

Californiaman

While I haven't seen the movie, I did catch Tim McGraw's performance.

Guess he brought a tear to many in the audience at the Academy Awards tonight.

He was asked by the family to sing Campbell's, "I'm Not Going To Miss You".

I'll admit he did a great job.

Campbell's as much as an American institution as country music itself, and he will be missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI

I will admit to tearing up at McGraw's version of the song. He sounded so Glen, and I've grown up with GC as an idol of sorts for decades. I actually have mixed emotions about seeing the documentary, but from what I've read, it is a "must see" if you're a Glen fan.

As an American sessions guy he's been on recordings with all the big ones from Frank Sinatra to The Beach Boys and potentially even Elvis if my memory possibly serves correct.

He was certainly a guitar man!

The boy could play!!!

I recall his variety TV show as a youngster in the early 1970's...

I actually did enjoy his music that my parents apparently also did as they seemed to play it when I was kid...

I guess I gotta add him to the list of my influences if I'm to be honest.

I did not see the show though for this Tim McGraw performance...

A terrible song, rushed out in hopes of snagging some award, even McGraw couldn't save it. Johnny Cash did it thoughtfully and methodically, well recorded, well covered songs at his end. Somebody is yanking Campbells chain and nothing is going to come of it for him or his family.

If I had the opportunity to sit around with NashVegas' finest and somebody came up with I'm Not Going To Miss You as part of alzheimers, id'a been all over that thing to make it as good as possible. I would want people bawling their eyes out heading for the can, I would want a super memorable recording like, oh, I don't know, maybe HURT by the other guy. They blew it big time hoping for something, and now all of the thought that could have gone into making a really great performance for the record and a really great and memorable song is gone, can't do it again.

He'da been better off doing nothing.

rct

A terrible song, rushed out in hopes of snagging some award, even McGraw couldn't save it. Johnny Cash did it thoughtfully and methodically, well recorded, well covered songs at his end. Somebody is yanking Campbells chain and nothing is going to come of it for him or his family.

If I had the opportunity to sit around with NashVegas' finest and somebody came up with I'm Not Going To Miss You as part of alzheimers, id'a been all over that thing to make it as good as possible. I would want people bawling their eyes out heading for the can, I would want a super memorable recording like, oh, I don't know, maybe HURT by the other guy. They blew it big time hoping for something, and now all of the thought that could have gone into making a really great performance for the record and a really great and memorable song is gone, can't do it again.

He'da been better off doing nothing.

rct

Have to respectfully disagree with you.

The song wasn't rushed out, and it wasn't just a song that some random songwriter came up with and Campbell recorded. Here's some background:

The song came about through something Campbell said to his co-writer, Julian Raymond.

“He had a hard day of people asking him about Alzheimer’s and how he felt about it,” Raymond tells the Wall Street Journal. “He didn’t talk too much about it, but came up to me and said, ‘I don’t know what everybody’s worried about. It’s not like I’m going to miss anyone, anyway.’”

“I’m Not Gonna Miss You” is a powerful track that looks back on Campbell’s life, while acknowledging everything his disease is slowly taking from him.

The song means a lot to a lot of people; to those whose lives have been touched by Alzheimer's. My grandfather passed away a few years ago, not remembering who any of us were, and I'm not ashamed to say this song brought a tear to my eye.

He didn't go out with a bang, but definitely not a whimper. A strong final performance.

-Ryan

Have to respectfully disagree with you.

That's good though, we can't always agree on stuff.

The song wasn't rushed out, and it wasn't just a song that some random songwriter came up with and Campbell recorded.

I didn't think it was some random thing, I was fairly certain he had something to do with it. The soundtrack was most definitely put out this week, in order to make an appearance on the Oscars.

Here's some background:

The song came about through something Campbell said to his co-writer, Julian Raymond.

“He had a hard day of people asking him about Alzheimer’s and how he felt about it,” Raymond tells the Wall Street Journal. “He didn’t talk too much about it, but came up to me and said, ‘I don’t know what everybody’s worried about. It’s not like I’m going to miss anyone, anyway.’”

“I’m Not Gonna Miss You” is a powerful track that looks back on Campbell’s life, while acknowledging everything his disease is slowly taking from him.

As a song, as an opportunity to actually say something, to put that machine in Nashville to work, this is, in my opinion, a big miss.

The song means a lot to a lot of people; to those whose lives have been touched by Alzheimer's. My grandfather passed away a few years ago, not remembering who any of us were, and I'm not ashamed to say this song brought a tear to my eye.

Well yeah, why do you think I think so strongly about it? I would have preferred a more thoughtful approach, more time spent on it. If Nashville put half the energy into that song that they put into Luke Bryant and his stupid yankin one off about some pickup truck grrrrlll with a bud hangover songs we'd all still be sitting around the toob bawling like babies. Seriously.

rct

I met him a year and a half ago here at work. We got into a discussion about Arkansas where we both grew up. He said, "Yea I got tired of looking at the north end of a south bound mule so I left. Looks like you did the same". I said yea but I still love it and he said 'So do I". I told him I was a guitar player and he asked what kind and I said now an LP. He said, great guitar.

He was so nice. I was a touch star struck.

I thought the song was pretty poignant to have recorded it before the severe onset of disease. Like Yul Brenner recording a public service anti smoking clip to be played posthumously, which it was to great effect.

Funny thing about Alzheimer's, he can have a great conversation with you, but in the end probably not remember the person who drove him to the appointment.

That's how my Uncle John was before he finally passed. He couldn't remember anyone. Sometimes he'd show some clarity. He could talk all about the past, but the present was difficult for him.

He was a great story teller and could talk about events that happened 60 years ago as if it were yesterday.

Anyway, I think Glen Campbell's legacy will certainly live on long after he's gone.

I've seen this a few times, I can't not watch it when some one re-posts it..

it's quite sad for me on a few fronts,

one is Glenn was a very early inspiration for me, as a young kid, I'd watch the TV shows he ran on Sunday nights. I had started playing by age 8, and I really wanted guitars like he had and to be able to play them like he could.

The other is my dad, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer in 1994, and passed in 1998.

These lyrics hit very close to home.

Not that any of these are kind diseases but this one in particular is a wicked and cruel disease. It takes your loved ones away from you while they are actually still "here" (they're not here, but neither are they gone) My dad had no idea who I or my sisters were for the last 2+ years of his life. when we'd ask him, he said he knew who my mom was, but there were days when I'm sure he didn't know who she was either. it's a terrifying thing for these people to live through, they recognize nothing, they know no one, they are alone to drift through the fog day in and day out. Facial features can at times, scare them.

The only solace is they are asleep about 90 to 95% of the time in the later stages.

it's horrible...

prayers to Glen's family who gave him tremendous support, and for Glen.

Archived