Gibson Brands Forums

Decided to Keep my Kalamazoo.

ajay

After listing it on the UMGF for a while, I finally got a nice offer for my '68 Kalamazoo KG-10. The time came to let it go, and I just couldn't part with it. It's the perfect combination of mildly historic, nice to look at, and it really has nice tone for a small ladder braced all-hog guitar from the old Michigan factory. I tried to post a picture, but I can't figure it out.

It looks like it's going to be handed down instead of sold. My best friend's daughter got my old Epiphone Dread that I played forever. She was really getting pretty good on one of those ultra cheap Johnsons, and She loves the old Epiphone. I think that She would enjoy the old Kalamazoo because She's getting one of my Advanced Jumbos too. She's a cute little Hippie girl who plays open mikes, and Her Father is so much like a Brother to me, She calls me Unk.

I just told him that I couldn't part with it. Luckily, he went through the same thing recently, so He was really nice about it.

In April, I'm driving down to see my Brother. He's giving me his mint blonde B-25 and his Goya classical. He has MS, and has lost most of the feeling in his hands. He wants me to have them, and then I'll have my all Hog Kalamazoo and his B-25 will be a nice companion for playing at Open Mike nights. They're both nice guitars, but I'm not so afraid of theft or small hits if I loan one of them to someone. The AJ's both are tone monsters, but a fall from a stand would be a nightmare with my Brazilian, and my EIR is really mint too.

I will be more relaxed with the little Gibsons. Hopefully that will help me to relax when I'm playing too.

In April, I'm driving down to see my Brother. He's giving me his mint blonde B-25 and his Goya classical. He has MS, and has lost most of the feeling in his hands. ltd be a nightmare with my Brazilian, and my EIR is really mint too.

I will be more relaxed with the little Gibsons. Hopefully that will help me to relax when I'm playing too.

Sorry about your brothers affliction, I have been fighting this same thing for 35 years. Definition of PITA. Put my guitars away for 20 years, just would not work. Pulled them out again a few years ago and struggled, still do, but I have some fun at it. Sounds like that neighbor Hippie chick is a very lucky young lady, I'm sure you have fun watching her play.

Luckily my Brother is a retired Lieutenant Colonel, so he has good healthcare. He is able to give himself $4000 worth of miracle shots per month. It has really helped to delay the worst symptoms. My Brother and I are really buddy's too, so it's really tough. His last Cranial MRI showed 24 dark spots on his brain, so it isn't a cure. We just see each other as often as possible. We don't talk about it much, because we both want to have as much fun as we can. He's in his early 60's, and it's sad that He's giving his stuff away, but possessions mean nothing to him. He just enjoys the simple things. He's an awesome person, and He's so intelligent, it's so ironic that his brain is what's failing him.

I like what Warren Zevon said as He was losing his battle with Mesothelioms. His quote, " Enjoy Every Sandwich."

You need a pick? I have some..

Sorry about your brothers affliction, I have been fighting this same thing for 35 years. Definition of PITA. Put my guitars away for 20 years, just would not work. Pulled them out again a few years ago and struggled, still do, but I have some fun at it. Sounds like that neighbor Hippie chick is a very lucky young lady, I'm sure you have fun watching her play.

It's really a thrill watching her play. Her Dad got her a kiddie Guitar when she was still a little curly haired 7 year old. She had seen me play back when I was in a band playing acoustic. She used to sit on my lap, because my guitar was too big for her. I had to teach her small chords, Em, A, D was a stretch, but she kept working at it and made the stretch. I told her not to be afraid to make chords up. That as long as they sounded good to her and fit her hand, they probably were an established chord, but most of all her own chord.

I got her a magazine a few years ago, and there was a great article about the turnings that Joni Mitchell uses. I live about 500 miles away now, and the last time I was home, she wanted to show me something.

She had learned that Joni song that goes, "Help Me I think I'm fallin', In love Again". It sounded perfect, and her voice is awesome. Her Dad and I went over to The 9th Street Pub to watch her sing. She did that song, and dedicated it to Her Uncle who taught her to play. Everyone in the audience gave me a nice round of applause. She was so relaxed, and it sounded so beautiful that I had tears in my eyes through the entire piece. It was one of the best moments in my life.

I'm her Godfather too, and My Wife and I don't have any kids, so she may get my farm too if She wants to live out here. I love that girl as if She was my own. She won't let anyone play that old Epiphone except for her boyfriend, who's in a band and is really good. She will be knocked out when I give her my Brazilian AJ. I'm getting up there in years, so We aren't talking too far in the distance. Acoustic guitars can span generations better than anything else that I know.

Archived