Gibson Brands Forums

New Vintage Original reissue

Jimi Mac

While I've heard lots from The Kinks to Peter Green plugging into a small original Supro and making classic smash hit tones, the only ones I've seen around were tattered old originals every once in a while on eBay...

What made me stand up and take notice was the Made in the USA with custom Eminence designed/made Supro speakers and military spec tubes...

Which no doubt I simply glossed over in recent posts expecting Asian mass-production and the further destruction of a classic vintage icon...

Without bothering to pay attention I just assumed it was gonna be another Chinese-made cheapo reproduction, but these appear to be the real deal...

At least for now... I suspect that the economy import line is probably just around the corner from mass-production debut, but I'm hoping that simply not the case and this is going to be another fine boutique quality amp available to the public without having to place a 2nd mortgage on the house...

At $1,349.00 at Sweetwater, it's right around the price of a '59 Fender Bassman Reissue and not too much more than a 4X10 Fender Blues Deville...

It's not terrible money, but it is approaching boutique pricing.

The Jury is still out for me on these, but they appear to be of good sound quality...

Someone posted some NAMM footage on these already too with the likes of Robby Krieger and others giving them a test-drive...

Apparently they made a splash at last years NAMM, but I don't recall anything about them much until this past NAMM

Legendary guitar amp brand Supro set for rebirth in 2014

December 4, 2013 (Port Jefferson Station, NY) – Absara Audio LLC, parent company to ground- breaking analog effect brand Pigtronix, is proud to announce its acquisition of the historic Supro trademark—pertaining to both amplifiers and guitars—worldwide. To accommodate this expansion, Absara Audio has constructed a new production facility in Port Jefferson Station, NY and will begin shipping a line of USA-made, vintage-inspired Supro tube amplifiers in April 2014. The rights to the Supro brand were acquired in September from former Fender amp designer and long-time Pigtronix associate, Bruce Zinky. Zinky has been retained as exclusive design engineer, and has collaborated with award-winning sound designer David Koltai to realize a modern incarnation of the Supro sound that has been out of production since the mid '60s.

Supro's origins can be traced back to the early '30s when the National Resophonic and Dobro guitar companies merged to form a manufacturing entity called Valco. As electrified music started to emerge, Valco began producing guitars and amplifiers under the Supro name. Supro amps delivered the tone of choice for the early '60s south-side Chicago blues players who in turn influenced the British invasion. By the late '60s, Jimi Hendrix was playing a Supro Thunderbolt amp on tour with Little Richard and the Isley Brothers, meanwhile, in England, Jimmy Page, inspired by the raw tones of the Chicago blues scene, cut seminal Led Zeppelin tracks using a Supro Model 24. The Supro tone has gained enduring notoriety as a unique and commanding voice—never a copy, clone or wannabe of any other major make of amplifier.

"We are humbled by the opportunity to re-imagine the Supro product line in a way that honors its rich history and will push these classic designs to the forefront of the modern tube amplifier industry." –
Pigtronix co-founder, Brian Bethke

USA-made reissues of the most sought after Supro amps will be unveiled to the world at the Winter NAMM Show in Anaheim, California, January 23-26, 2014 (booth # 5218). At that time, a press release will provide further details on the products and launch.

I get that, but "new and improved" simply doesn't spark my interest usually because it usually spawns thoughts of Solid-State PC-board electronics or Chinese mass-production...

Spec-ing back to the original vintage pieces gets my attention...

Or at least in the original vintage spirit...

Bruce Zinky is a pure class act. We've had many conversations over the past decade about gear. I've owned one of his Blue Velvet amps for many many years and his True Grit & Master Blaster boost pedals for just as long. When I first heard he was going to revive the Supro amp line I knew it would be a killer amp throughout. I was going to grab one last year but he had told me that the new models coming out this year would come equipped with reverb (& tremolo) as well and so I decided to wait for the new ones to get in stock. I don't use tremolo as much but I wanted reverb on my Supro. And now that Sam Ash has them all in stock - I'm jumping on one.

There are a number of online videos where you can hear Supro demos but I am confident as I can be that since Bruce is involved I have no concerns whatsoever on the quality & components in every one of those Supro amps. Thanks for posting this thread. These amps are worth talking about. [thumbup]

Archived