Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson square magnet speaker help please

brownsound

Well it's been ages since I been here hello every one..

Ok been playing my onl 1974 norlin Lester built lp custom and fooling around with bunches of old speakers for fun. I recently bought a 10 inch gibson speaker with the square magnet. It's 8 ohms . My problem is this . The speaker terminals are not marked posative and negative and Id like it to sound correct . On the back of the magnet in green ink stamp are theese numbers

S-20003

137 603

5810023. Then on the speaker cone are the numbers 1003.3 I know some one has the answer to my question lease . I know that correct hook up has a lot to do with sound . If you think not try reversing the wires on your high end audiophile stereo and watch that bass go out the window . Lol problem is guitars don't have a lot of bass so I'm hoping to find the correct terminal +\ - posts. I'm using a fargen 5 watt micro plex amp for the vintage speaker trip I'm on its a great lil amp but real costly . Knowing ben for many years got me one dirt cheap . Love the lil amp

Ok enough hope some one knows. Thanks guys oh here is a pic hmm pic won't post let me work on that ok says file to big pic taken with iPad no reduction option oh well sry .

I would try the following to determine the polarities of the legs:

Attach two cables to the terminals and connect one of them to the minus pole of a 1.5 volts battery. While watching the cone's front, touch the plus pole with the other cable. If the cone is pushed outwards when touching and pulled back when releasing contact to the battery, the wire you had connected to the plus pole is the hot one. If the cone is pulled inward when connected and pushed back when disconnected, the hot leg has been connected to the minus pole of the battery.

Please think of marking your result immediately and unmistakably near the tags - otherwise the probability to get it right will be 50/50 again... [biggrin]

Capmaster tried this with a 1.5 volt c battery and I got some static as I touched the terminals and no matter wich way I put the wires the cone slightly jumped ? Do they make speakers with no polarity ? Or did I do something wrong ? I tried a few times a quick touch so as not to cause coil cancer same result cone jump

Update and solved . I researched your method a bit online and came across an article on how to test a guitar cab your interested in buying when no amp is present to test the cab. It covered your advice with one diffrence .. It recomended a 9 volt battery for stiffer cones . So I retested with a 9 volt when polarity was correct the cone jumped outward . When not correct the cone sucked down into the basket. I should mention that it also stated when using a 9 volt the connection to the 9 volt battery should be done really quick so as not to cook the coil. Thank you capmaster problem solved..

Glad you got it made. [thumbup] I was a bit reluctant to recommend 9 volts...

Perhaps I should have added that it may take watching very closely. [rolleyes] I always use 1.5 volts since both 8 ohms and 4 ohms speaker coils capable of handling over 3 respectively 6 watts won't have a problem with that amount of DC, even for a longer period. Typical 8 ohms speakers have around 5.6 ohms DC resistance, typical 4 ohms speakers around 2.8 ohms, and so will have to dissipate 0.4 respectively 0.8 watts.

• 3 months later...

Archived