Gibson Brands Forums

Fooled Around and Fell in Love ~ Elvin Bishop

4Hayden

Always liked Elvin Bishop...

He was an instrumental piece of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band for many years back in the day. Often taking a back-seat to Michael Bloomfield, he was never a slouch!

Here's a vid of The Paul Butterfield Blues Band featuring Elvin Biship at The Monterey Pop Festival 1967

If I'm not mistaken it was right after this performance that Mike Bloomfield joined them. Right at the end of the vid you can see an appreciative Mike Bloomfield on stage-side applauding the band he was about to join...

I have a recreation of an original concert bill advertising for The Doors at The Cow Palace with Elvin Bishop and Lonnie Mack opening for them... Imagine that show!!!

Always liked Elvin Bishop...

He was an instrumental piece of the Paul Butterfield Blues Band for many years back in the day. Often taking a back-seat to Michael Bloomfield, he was never a slouch!

Here's a vid of The Paul Butterfield Blues Band featuring Elvin Biship at The Monterey Pop Festival 1967

If I'm not mistaken it was right after this performance that Mike Bloomfield joined them. Right at the end of the vid you can see an appreciative Mike Bloomfield on stage-side applauding the band he was about to join...

I have a recreation of an original concert bill advertising for The Doors at The Cow Palace with Elvin Bishop and Lonnie Mack opening for them... Imagine that show!!!

Would loved to have seen that , he's always been a favorite of mine Jimi Mac

Ah yes, Alvin and my whisky headed buddies lol

What the hell does that mean?!?

Please explain...

By Alvin are you referring to Elvin? What that a side project band he was in? Where they known as hard-core whiskey drinkers?

I don't get it...

Some interesting information on him in Wiki...

Bishop was born in
, and grew up on a farm near
. His family moved to
, when Bishop was ten. There he attended
, winning a full scholarship to the
as a
finalist. He moved to Chicago in 1960 to attend the university, where he majored in
. In 1963, he met harmonica player
in the neighborhood of
and joined Butterfield's
band, and remained with them for five years. Their third album,
, takes its name from Bishop's nickname.
During his time with the Butterfield Blues Band, Bishop met blues guitarist
at a show. Bishop convinced Meyers to trade his Gibson ES-345 for Bishop's Telecaster. Bishop liked the Gibson so much he never gave it back and has used it throughout his career. Bishop has nicknamed his Gibson ES-345 "Red Dog," a name he got from a roadie for the Allman Brothers Band.

In 1968 he went solo and formed the Elvin Bishop Group, also performing with
and
on their album titled
. The group signed with Fillmore Records, which was owned by
, who also owned the Fillmore music venues.

In March 1971, The Elvin Bishop Group and
co-billed a series of concerts at the
. Bishop joined The Allman Brothers Band onstage for a rendition of his own song,
Drunken Hearted Boy
. Over the years, Bishop has recorded with many other blues artists including
and
. In late 1975, he played guitar for a couple of tracks on
's
The 20th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roll
album, and in 1995, he toured with

Bishop made an impression on
FM radio stations with
Travelin' Shoes
in 1975,
but a year later, in 1976, Bishop released his most memorable single,
, which peaked at #3 in the US
(and #34 in the UK charts). The recording featured vocalist
and drummer
who both later joined

Bishop feels that the limitations of his voice have helped his songwriting.

Bishop appeared at the 1984
. In 1988, he signed with
and released
Big Fun
featuring Whit Lehnberg & The Carptones, 1991's
Don't Let the Bossman Get You Down
, 1995's
Ace in the Hole
, 1998's
The Skin I'm In
and
That's My Partner
(2000), on which he paired with an early
teacher,
. He later revisited Smothers in the studio, where the two recorded another album in 2009;
Little Smokey Smothers & Elvin Bishop: Chicago Blues Buddies

In 2005, Bishop released his first new CD in five years,
Gettin' My Groove Back
In 2008, Bishop released
The Blues Roles On
, on September 23, 2008, switching labels to
. He was supported by
, B.B. King,
and
. The album was nominated for
. In 2010, Bishop released
Red Dog Speaks

Bishop sat in with the Grateful Dead on June 8, 1969 at the Fillmore West in San Francisco. He opened the second set with the lengthy blues jam,
Turn on Your Lovelight
without Pigpen or Jerry. He played two more songs with the Dead,
The Things I Used to Do
and
Who's Lovin' You Tonight

Bishop was inducted into the
in 1998.

His first live concert DVD,
That's My Thing': Elvin Bishop Live in Concert
, was recorded live at the Club Fox in Redwood City, CA on December 17, 2011. It was released on the Delta Groove label in October 2012. The DVD was nominated for Best Blues DVD of 2012 by the
. The same organisation announced that Bishop had six nominations for the 36th
set to be held in May 2015.

mentions Bishop in his 1975 song "
", with the lyric, "Elvin Bishop sittin' on a bale of hay; he ain't good lookin', but he sure can play."
also references Bishop in their 1978 song "
", with the lyrics, "Elvin Bishop out struttin' his stuff with little Miss Slick Titty Boom, I'm goin' back to the Gator Country and get me some elbow room." "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" was included in the soundtrack album for
titled

And on a strange and sad note in his life...

Bishop's daughter Selina, and ex-wife Jennifer Villarin, were murdered in August 2000
by Glenn Taylor Helzer, his brother Justin Helzer, and accomplice Dawn Godman. According to
, "Bishop, her mother Jenny Villarin, and a friend of Villarin, James Gamble, were murdered as part of an elaborate scheme to extort $100,000 from elderly
residents Ivan and Annette Stineman."
Both killers were sentenced to death for the murders; Justin Helzer committed suicide in San Quentin prison.

Clearly Elvin's paid his dues and is a living persona that defines The Blues...

This information suggests that Michael Bloomfield replaced Elvin Bishop in The Paul Butterfield Blues Band instead of joining Elvin in that band for a season before Elvin went solo. I could swear they both played on some Butterfield albums in the 60's and possibly into the 70's, but this appears to contradict that understanding (misunderstanding) on my part...

This Album cover seems to corroborate part of my own understanding...

The_Paul_Butterfield_Blues_Band_-_East-West.jpg

It shows both Elvin Bishop (far right) and Michael Bloomfield (2nd from left) on their 1966 East-West Album, suggesting they played together for some time even before the Montery Pop festival of 1967... Maybe Bloomfield simply had other projects going at the time and didn't expect to make that gig or something... It's a bit odd to me...

In reading the Wiki Boomfield info, It appears to me that Bloomfield was at The Monterey Pop Festival with his stint in short-lived Electric Flag with Buddy Miles. He had already left The Paul Butterfield Blues band due to rejecting their rigorous touring schedule at that time and had moved to San Francisco...

So my original understanding of Bloomfield's period w/Butterfield is skewed. He may have been with them since the beginning, I'm just not sure. But he was with them on and off and played with them and Elvin Bishop alot in the 1960's and appeared on several albums together with Elvin Bishop also in and out of sessions and different bands...

I apologize for passing along the original misinformation!

What the hell does that mean?!?

Please explain...

By Alvin are you referring to Elvin? What that a side project band he was in? Where they known as hard-core whiskey drinkers?

I don't get it...

Haha sorry for the typo, I don't think it means too much in "the hell". Great Squank from that 345 ! Want me to explain that too ?

Some interesting information on him in Wiki...

Bishop was born in
, and grew up on a farm near
. His family moved to
, when Bishop was ten. There he attended
, winning a full scholarship to the
as a
finalist. He moved to Chicago in 1960 to attend the university, where he majored in
. In 1963, he met harmonica player
in the neighborhood of
and joined Butterfield's
band, and remained with them for five years. Their third album,
, takes its name from Bishop's nickname.
During his time with the Butterfield Blues Band, Bishop met blues guitarist
at a show. Bishop convinced Meyers to trade his Gibson ES-345 for Bishop's Telecaster. Bishop liked the Gibson so much he never gave it back and has used it throughout his career. Bishop has nicknamed his Gibson ES-345 "Red Dog," a name he got from a roadie for the Allman Brothers Band.

In 1968 he went solo and formed the Elvin Bishop Group, also performing with
and
on their album titled
. The group signed with Fillmore Records, which was owned by
, who also owned the Fillmore music venues.

In March 1971, The Elvin Bishop Group and
co-billed a series of concerts at the
. Bishop joined The Allman Brothers Band onstage for a rendition of his own song,
Drunken Hearted Boy
. Over the years, Bishop has recorded with many other blues artists including
and
. In late 1975, he played guitar for a couple of tracks on
's
The 20th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roll
album, and in 1995, he toured with

Bishop made an impression on
FM radio stations with
Travelin' Shoes
in 1975,
but a year later, in 1976, Bishop released his most memorable single,
, which peaked at #3 in the US
(and #34 in the UK charts). The recording featured vocalist
and drummer
who both later joined

Bishop feels that the limitations of his voice have helped his songwriting.

Bishop appeared at the 1984
. In 1988, he signed with
and released
Big Fun
featuring Whit Lehnberg & The Carptones, 1991's
Don't Let the Bossman Get You Down
, 1995's
Ace in the Hole
, 1998's
The Skin I'm In
and
That's My Partner
(2000), on which he paired with an early
teacher,
. He later revisited Smothers in the studio, where the two recorded another album in 2009;
Little Smokey Smothers & Elvin Bishop: Chicago Blues Buddies

In 2005, Bishop released his first new CD in five years,
Gettin' My Groove Back
In 2008, Bishop released
The Blues Roles On
, on September 23, 2008, switching labels to
. He was supported by
, B.B. King,
and
. The album was nominated for
. In 2010, Bishop released
Red Dog Speaks

Bishop sat in with the Grateful Dead on June 8, 1969 at the Fillmore West in San Francisco. He opened the second set with the lengthy blues jam,
Turn on Your Lovelight
without Pigpen or Jerry. He played two more songs with the Dead,
The Things I Used to Do
and
Who's Lovin' You Tonight

Bishop was inducted into the
in 1998.

His first live concert DVD,
That's My Thing': Elvin Bishop Live in Concert
, was recorded live at the Club Fox in Redwood City, CA on December 17, 2011. It was released on the Delta Groove label in October 2012. The DVD was nominated for Best Blues DVD of 2012 by the
. The same organisation announced that Bishop had six nominations for the 36th
set to be held in May 2015.

mentions Bishop in his 1975 song "
", with the lyric, "Elvin Bishop sittin' on a bale of hay; he ain't good lookin', but he sure can play."
also references Bishop in their 1978 song "
", with the lyrics, "Elvin Bishop out struttin' his stuff with little Miss Slick Titty Boom, I'm goin' back to the Gator Country and get me some elbow room." "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" was included in the soundtrack album for
titled

And on a strange and sad note in his life...

Bishop's daughter Selina, and ex-wife Jennifer Villarin, were murdered in August 2000
by Glenn Taylor Helzer, his brother Justin Helzer, and accomplice Dawn Godman. According to
, "Bishop, her mother Jenny Villarin, and a friend of Villarin, James Gamble, were murdered as part of an elaborate scheme to extort $100,000 from elderly
residents Ivan and Annette Stineman."
Both killers were sentenced to death for the murders; Justin Helzer committed suicide in San Quentin prison.

Clearly Elvin's paid his dues and is a living persona that defines The Blues...

This information suggests that Michael Bloomfield replaced Elvin Bishop in The Paul Butterfield Blues Band instead of joining Elvin in that band for a season before Elvin went solo. I could swear they both played on some Butterfield albums in the 60's and possibly into the 70's, but this appears to contradict that understanding (misunderstanding) on my part...

This Album cover seems to corroborate part of my own understanding...

The_Paul_Butterfield_Blues_Band_-_East-West.jpg

It shows both Elvin Bishop (far right) and Michael Bloomfield (2nd from left) on their 1966 East-West Album, suggesting they played together for some time even before the Montery Pop festival of 1967... Maybe Bloomfield simply had other projects going at the time and didn't expect to make that gig or something... It's a bit odd to me...

In reading the Wiki Boomfield info, It appears to me that Bloomfield was at The Monterey Pop Festival with his stint in short-lived Electric Flag with Buddy Miles. He had already left The Paul Butterfield Blues band due to rejecting their rigorous touring schedule at that time and had moved to San Francisco...

So my original understanding of Bloomfield's period w/Butterfield is skewed. He may have been with them since the beginning, I'm just not sure. But he was with them on and off and played with them and Elvin Bishop alot in the 1960's and appeared on several albums together with Elvin Bishop also in and out of sessions and different bands...

I apologize for passing along the original misinformation!

Good read !

Haha sorry for the typo, I don't think it means too much in "the hell". Great Squank from that 345 ! Want me to explain that too ?

I was hoping you'd explain when I responded with my exclamation...

I'd never heard that before and was hoping it referred to some recording...

Thanks for sharing!!!

I like expanding my knowledge and understanding!

Archived