Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (Searcy Buys a Tasteful Burst!!)

Searcy

64561221-5DB2-4F75-8855-BE3E5640E4B5_zpsmubkjctr.jpg

Just a test fit of the guard and knobs to see how I like them. This is looking much better to me. Now the finish gets to be the pretty girl instead of competing with the MOT guard for your eye.

The black guard matches the black trim around the guitar and makes the finish jump out and say look at me =D>

4H

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the first concept Idea I have going for this project.

2015-03-13_075845_zpshdp6qoco.jpg

Go right back (almost) to your first concept.

JMHO but a black Dog-Ear P-90 cover and black (not mirror) hat-box knobs would be, without a doubt, my way to go with this.

The reflectors and chrome cover are far too distracting and conflicting. The chrome and black are neither, in themselves, dominant enough and, visually, there needs to be solidarity here.

Go Black.

Otherwise the 'Double-Strat' P'up choice seems worthy of a post of it's own!

Loving this thread.

[thumbup]

Pip.

Go right back (almost) to your first concept.

JMHO but a black Dog-Ear P-90 cover and black (not mirror) hat-box knobs would be, without a doubt, my way to go with this.

The reflectors and chrome cover are far too distracting and conflicting. The chrome and black are neither, in themselves, dominant enough and, visually, there needs to be solidarity here.

Go Black.

Otherwise the 'Double-Strat' P'up choice seems worthy of a post of it's own!

Loving this thread.

[thumbup]

Pip.

I agree

4H

• 4 months later...

Here's an update on the 2015 SG special.

This is the look I settled on with the excepting of the switch tip which I will swap out for black.

11899879_1028500573840540_538411122172375867_n.jpg?oh=ae052aff76365444d84af807bd81c70f&oe=567AE33C

11896037_1028504933840104_7099544416668921321_n.jpg?oh=d4e3ed8c2e8c1f8e9cacb7cb07b8d3b6&oe=5669770C

I'm still loving the wider neck.

Now that I have spent some time with the G-Force and the Min Etune systems I can see the improvements that are in the G Force program. String changes are simpler and much faster on the G Force and tuning time is faster.

The finish is still far and away the nicest finish I have ever seen on a Gibson guitar. It's amazingly even for a nitro finish and they fade in the color at the bevels is simply stunning.

I still haven't had any ping issues with the brass nut. I think I'll ask Gibson for the updated one just in case though. I like the look of the chrome one better.

There is a little more neck dive on this SG that on my other two. I think this is due to the added weight of the wider neck and thicker finger board. I can live with it though.

I've been asked "why a two pickup control system on a one pickup guitar?" WEll the dog ear P-90 cover is actually covering two sort of strat-ish single coil pickups. Each coil has it's own tone and volume control and the switch let you pick one , the other or both. It's a very spanky sounding guitar. I may add a neck pickup at some point but for now it's like this.

I've been asked "why a two pickup control system on a one pickup guitar?"

That had me scratching my head too. but your explanation makes sense Clint.

so this was originally the 2 humbucker one that you got back this winter?

I've been asked "why a two pickup control system on a one pickup guitar?" WEll the dog ear P-90 cover is actually covering two sort of strat-ish single coil pickups. Each coil has it's own tone and volume control and the switch let you pick one , the other or both. It's a very spanky sounding guitar. I may add a neck pickup at some point but for now it's like this.

Very unique pickup combination. [thumbup]

I've been asked "why a two pickup control system on a one pickup guitar?"

That had me scratching my head too. but your explanation makes sense Clint.

so this was originally the 2 humbucker one that you got back this winter?

Yea, it started out as one of these.

SGSP15FINH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Then ended up at Strat-O-Sphere. There's where I got it. I've got about $550 in this guitar.

Here's an update on the 2015 SG special.

This is the look I settled on with the excepting of the switch tip which I will swap out for black.

11899879_1028500573840540_538411122172375867_n.jpg?oh=ae052aff76365444d84af807bd81c70f&oe=567AE33C

11896037_1028504933840104_7099544416668921321_n.jpg?oh=d4e3ed8c2e8c1f8e9cacb7cb07b8d3b6&oe=5669770C

I'm still loving the wider neck.

Now that I have spent some time with the G-Force and the Min Etune systems I can see the improvements that are in the G Force program. String changes are simpler and much faster on the G Force and tuning time is faster.

The finish is still far and away the nicest finish I have ever seen on a Gibson guitar. It's amazingly even for a nitro finish and they fade in the color at the bevels is simply stunning.

I still haven't had any ping issues with the brass nut. I think I'll ask Gibson for the updated one just in case though. I like the look of the chrome one better.

There is a little more neck dive on this SG that on my other two. I think this is due to the added weight of the wider neck and thicker finger board. I can live with it though.

It looks fabulous! And may I add - I don't have your patience. [thumbup]

Yea, it started out as one of these.

SGSP15FINH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Then ended up at Strat-O-Sphere. There's where I got it. I've got about $550 in this guitar.

yea I thought that was how it started life...

I usually don't mod stuff however, that is a very nice mod job you did there Clint. [thumbup]

Most of my stuff gets mods or some sort. Many of my guitars, basses and amps arrive here as unplayable basket cases. Stuff that I get that is vintage and in good shape I tend to leave alone but I do add Dunlop strap locks to everything.

Archived