I'm on the lawn with somebody else's wife

Come admire the view from up on top of the mast

Chorus

Yellow sheets in a Hong Kong bed

Stazybo horn and a Slingerland ride

To the carnival is what she said

A hundred dollars makes it dark inside

Tom Waits - Jockey Full Of Bourbon Lyrics | MetroLyrics

A fine send up of this one for a Friday night, FB. The right song at the right time. One really has to "commit" to do a song at a certain intensity

level, and you did. 'Just thought it would be wise to sleep before typing ; ). I was not familiar with the tune ('I don't think'), so a little poking

around on the interweb turns up the YouTubes version by Tom W. used in soundtrack to the film Down By Law, which also sees Waits in an acting part as well. 'Will have to see that one sometime. For the version used in the movie, Tom kept his voice out of the food processor that he

normally takes his vocals through, is close-mic'ed, and creates some great sonic imagery.

Cheers Phil-I thought I might be falling down a commentless abyss until you came along.

62B great job in posting the lyrics Thanks.This one is all about the lyrics.I didn't know the song until recently but found the lyrics really easy to remember compared to usual.I think this was due to the imagery and the natural rhythm of the poetry.

BBG thanks for not listening [biggrin].

TM thanks.I did see a couple of JoBo versions - good guitar.

Sal glad you are going to get into the harp.You'll breeze it in.This song being in a minor key makes harp selection more difficult.After trial and error I ended up playing in a key known as "third position harp" which is a bit tricky as not all notes sound good.

When you are starting out stick to major keys first, playing what is known as first position-song in G, use a G harp. .It will be a bit easier.All notes pretty much will sound right.

Thanks FB for posting that - well done!

A friend use to mangle that one and Heart Attack...yours is way better and might have even made sense...so what about a version of H Attack & Vine?

I like a Bourbon or 2, but Tom would be a moonshine drinker, wouldn't he?

BluesKing777.

Thanks FB for posting that - well done!

A friend use to mangle that one and Heart Attack...yours is way better and might have even made sense...so what about a version of H Attack & Vine?

I like a Bourbon or 2, but Tom would be a moonshine drinker, wouldn't he?

BluesKing777.

cheers mate!

I have a vinyl of heart attack and vine...but I have a mental block on that actual song.As soon as I youtube it will come back to me.

One I do remember off that album is "On the Nickel". I've had a go at that at times. Very challenging as it has 3 key changes going up a full tone every time. Unless you start down in the basement with Tom it's hard to pull off in it's original form.

I vaguely recall Tom may be tea total these days? Perhaps I imagined I read / heard that.

Glad you're off the floor of a commentless post.

I've said before your voice has reminded me of tom waits , and you've been in his territory lyrically with a couple of your songs.

The john Hammond album of waits covers is a total belter of a CD.

So naturally I'm gonna love any cover of his that you do .

I'd like to see how a fella might go at heartattck and vine with just an acoustic guitar though. I wouldn't know how to adapt it.

Archived