Gibson Brands Forums

Flame Top? I am envious!

MCK

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Argh. This one worked. Wish it didn't because seeing your beautiful top didn't help one bit! You're a lucky man! Enjoy your new guitar!

K Kirk, most times it's just the way the light reflects on it. I can see from your avatar the rich lines around your DF toggle switch.

Yup! They accentuate my bent toggle switch nicely! =P~ I know I talk a lot. At the end of the day I like this guitar. I think I'll get to like it or get another one down the road and flip this one at some loss. Don't mind doing that. Need to wait for stocks to arrive so I can hand pick this time. Meanwhile I get to enjoy my current DF which is perfect. I don't mind the bent toggle or slightly scratch MCK. All in good time. Its 2AM here and I'm playing my guitar rather than going to sleep. Says a lot given I have a day job to go to in the morning... Take care.

K Kirk, I know you want to finish playing ur guitar and also get some sleep before work. But, have you seen the thread where I did a writeup on how to fix your bent toggle switch. Mine was also bent and it was easy to fix. My piezo knob now rotates with no wobble at all. =P~

K Kirk' date=' I know you want to finish playing ur guitar and also get some sleep before work. But, have you seen the thread where I did a writeup on how to fix your bent toggle switch. Mine was also bent and it was easy to fix. My piezo knob now rotates with no wobble at all. =P~[/quote']

Thanks for that. I read your instructions and plan to execute them in the near future. At some point my toggle knob fell out. I took the opportunity to straingten the shaft a as much as possible without bending it back & forth so much and put the knob back with some glue inside. All is well for the time being and will hold for a while. I'm trying to observe it and see if gets bent again in the case. Appreciate your help though.

Riddle me this. What makes us think the Dark Fire has an AAA top?

At one time, I asked Gibson Customer service exactly this question in great detail via email. I got a response back that said it was not AAAA, AAA, AA, nor A. It was not specified. Therefore, I was told that it was the "normal" top. Else, Gibson would specify what grade the wood is. Does anyone know where the grade of woods are specified? Was my customer service info correct?

Riddle me this. What makes us think the Dark Fire has an AAA top?

At one time' date=' I asked Gibson Customer service exactly this question in great detail via email. I got a response back that said it was not AAAA, AAA, AA, nor A. It was not specified. Therefore, I was told that it was the "normal" top. Else, Gibson would specify what grade the wood is. Does anyone know where the grade of woods are specified? Was my customer service info correct?[/color']

RS great point. I don't think AAA was promised at any point in writing. Just the advertising photos. I googled on this and didn't come up with anything from Gibson. I will edit my subject header accordingly. Thanks for keeping me honest!

No. I saw the photos. I'm no LP expert nor wood expert by any streach of the imagination. But on other Gibson LP spec pages, they talk about the grade of wood and they call it AAAA, AAA, AA, etc. for either the body or the top. It wasn't spelled out, at least from what I could search out. So, I sent Customer Service and email a while back to specifically ask and then I put the answer I got back. I am really interested in the woods and how all my guitars are built up. So, it sounded like I was getting new info and wanted to check it out.

The top on the DF I tried at Sam Ash's Hollywood store was blotchy and really variable in quality -- I'd call it barely an "A". PRS and Carvin have both been using the process whereby black stain is rubbed into the figured wood and then sanded away for years; it emphasizes the grain (adds a lot of contrast) so that it shows through the darker color translucent finishes. Unfortunately, that particular guitar not only didn't start with a good quality top, nor was the process done particularly well. With the Hollywood (on Sunset) Carvin and Guitar Center stores walking distance away, it didn't take much to compare this guitar to the far better done Carvins and PRSs and even some of the better Gibsons at GC. To date I've seen four DFs and none of them really had a top I'd call very good...

I admit I have only seen 20 Dark Fires at NAMM and my own. They were all in the same ball park level of flame as mine below

IMG_0635.jpg

True its about a 1/4" off to qualify as a perfect book matched top , but I like it Looks as good as any Carvin or PRS I have played.

The ironic thing is the folks who say "gee mine is so plain looking compared to yours elantric"

They post blurry pics but I still see lots of flame in their Dark Fire guitars.

I rest my case. Inferiority complex now well & truly set in! Thank you once again. ;-)

Hey R2D2 or what ever his name was... Please let me know your lawyers name... maybe we can have a group discount!

Just joking folks. I love my DF and the sounds that come out of it. If anyone of you hate the flamed look and want to swap to a tamer look let me know! Till then...

• 4 weeks later...

MCK, the flame (or lack there of) seems to really be bugging you! You should not be stuck with a guitar that you are dissatisfied with, especially for over 3K. I would call Gibson, be honest about the flame, and see what they can do. You might be surprised, and hey, what's the worst that could happen?

Its not that bad. I get over it and then Elantric posts his #711 shots and we go all over again! Just joking. I am content to wait and swap at some point. While so many good people on this forum are waiting for their 1st good DF I hate to be making noise about the flame and what not.

Great thread guys!!

Really usefull to see the different kind of finishes that can be expected on the DF (in UK, still waiting...). I especially like Brookfloyd's unlikely mottled effect!

I think I would be happy with any of them, especilly as it gives them such an individual look!!

Probably get a finish I really don't like now I've said that!!? #-o

Well, I hope mine takes the cake in the "No Flame Whatsoever" department! Not that I'm happy with that achievement or anything, but I haven't seen another with no flame at all yet. The more pics I see of other Dark Fires the more I think Gibson really didn't care what piece of wood they chose for the tops of these Limited Editions. It seems they installed whatever they had lying around on the shop floor for some of these.

With all the beautiful tops on so many less expensive guitars out there, it blows my mind that every single Dark Fire doesn't have an absolutely perfect and beautiful top.

Here she is... beautiful huh? (that's sarcasm if you're wonderng)

top.jpg

Elantric, good point but for many people importance of good sound, good looks & good build quality comes tops. I really don't care about what s/w they throw in as these things tend to get outdated very quickly. Already we are looking at Live update to 8 and I bet sometime along the way we will have the need or choice to update to GR4 etc. So good build, good sound and looks are the non-negotiables as far as I'm concerned as these things will stay with us for as long as we keep these guitars.

Am I being overly anal about this point?O:)

My point is - if you expect the build quality of a typical $3K guitar, look elsewhere. You will surely be disappointed.

The Dark Fire is not in that league - it does have the build quality of a Brian Moore BFG, which is typically available for $1300 USD.

add the Ebony fretboard and gloss painted front + $300

We are paying essentially $1.5K for the value added technology:

* Tronical Robot technology, Chameleon Tone.

* Hexaphonic processing

* RIP interface, Charger, Splitter box

* and the software bundle.

Some players seek a gloss lacquer feel on the neck, and binding.

The 1st Generation Robot in Blue Siverburst had a higher spec gloss finish neck sides and back, and Neck binding

The Dark Fire lacks that - in fact the finish is rather primitive on the back, sides and neck.

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

Instead, Dark Fire delivers great tone, and a PLEK setup with great action.

Brookfloyd's Dark Fire seems like it left the production line bypassing the PLEK process, and I have never seen such a plain looking top on any Dark Fire.

Ok. I understand it better now. Laquer & binding on the back is not critical for good sound & durability. I like it more as it is but then again these things are very personal so I can see how some folk will yearn for those as well. My goal in buying DF was to have a great working guitar that I will take pride in using and will have years of good service while enjoying the tonal richness that can only come from the technology built into the DF. Gibson is very close to meeting these goals but need to make some significant changes in the QA department!!!

Archived