Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Gibson les paul Zero Fret Nut replaced and back again.

scottpaine_69

Well the Zero Fret Nut issue contines for me. I had the pinging and the strings wearing into the zero fret nut on my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. I talked to gibson and the sent me 2 proto-type replacements made differant than the one that was on my guitar. I switched the nuts out and the pinging stoped but it wasn't even close to having good action. It had to be set higher or it would fret out. The only way to fix this problem would be to sand down the new zero fret to get it to match. Plus id didn't fit in properly. Now I didn't try the second replacement yet. I decided to put the original back on and the action was back to perfect! The grooves that the strings cut into the Zero Fret fixed the pinging issue I had. So I say to myself, If it ain't broke don't fix it. I will only be switching out the nut if it gets to a point that it starts affecting the sound or action. As for now The only issue is some dust on the first fret every now and then. I know I shouldn't have to deal with any of this kinda stuff considering the price I paid for the guitar but it is what it is..

Daft question, could you not just put a regular nut in place of the apparently problematic adjustable nut it came with, and cut it to the correct height etc to suit? Surely worth the few £££ it would cost?

a height adjustable...

250642.jpg

ABM 6210.

Cheers... Bence

Yep, I've pointed out the Warick Adjust-a-nut a few time when talking about the 2015 Gibson changes. I like Gibsons idea better since if can be adjusted with the strings on but they need to get it working right. Not for nuthin' but I'm reasonable sure I could solve this whole puzzle in a weekend. [blink]

Yep, I've pointed out the Warick Adjust-a-nut a few time when talking about the 2015 Gibson changes. I like Gibsons idea better since if can be adjusted with the strings on but they need to get it working right. Not for nuthin' but I'm reasonable sure I could solve this whole puzzle in a weekend. [blink]

Yes, but unlike Gibson's, it's individually adjustable. Not a good sight either, though.

Agree with You, it just a piece of curtain rail, shouldn't be that complicated to make them from proper material.

Cheers... Bence

Not for nuthin' but I'm reasonable sure I could solve this whole puzzle in a weekend. [blink]

If I could be talked into buying a 2015, and I'm reasonably sure I couldn't, I would likely take the nut out to the machine shop I've used for other projects and have him fabricate a duplicate in good old fashioned steel.

I'm certain he could do it (he made me a bell brass tremolo block for one of my Strats for about half what KGC or Callaham are asking. Perfect dup of the original). Question for me would be, would steel solve the problem? If it were stainless steel - probably (but open notes would probably ring far brighter than fretted notes). If it were fabricated from an alloy similar to the frets - I doubt it. Nickel/silver and nickel/steel will produce open notes more inline with fretted notes, but the metal being softer will lead right back to the OPs issue...premature wear.

I'm sure there will be an answer. Eventually. May come from Gibson, may come from the aftermarket. Just not an issue I care to willingly subject myself to.

To resist wear?

Ian

It would wear even quicker.

It can handle impact very well, but fatigue strength is low, which is critical for a nut, as it's being exposed to cyclic abbrassion caused by string vibration.

Cheers... Bence

To resist wear?

Why on Earth would anyone make a nut out of Brass?

Ian

I'm sure brass was used because it's commonly available in the right size for the part, cheap and easy to machine and should wear well.

Carbon fiber is non of those things. Maybe you ment " graphite" which isn't a bad idea really.

Honestly I'm wondering why they went through all that expense to make the new titanium bridge saddles (awsome idea) yet did the nut on the cheep.. That just seems dumb to me.

It would wear even quicker.

It can handle impact very well, but fatigue strength is low, which is critical for a nut, as it's being exposed to cyclic abbrassion caused by string vibration.

Cheers... Bence

Really, have you ever tried cutting Carbon Fibre? During one of my periods at University one of my friends and I spent two days trying to hacksaw through a piece of the stuff for a project (he had previously worked for BAE Systems and had "acquired" the material, it was part of a Eurofighter)We manager it in the end, but it was only a few centimetres across and about 4 or 5 millimetres thick. It's the toughest material I've ever tried to cut.

Ian

Archived