Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic 06 vs 96

SPHRretired

Hoping pippy. Pippy pippy's available to lend some expertise, but I just brought home a bullion gold Goldtop Classic, which I believe to be a 96. The Gibby site tells me it was made in Nashville and is either an 06 or a 96. I'm inclined to think it's a 96 based on what I'm reading here and on Gibson serial number publications on the net, but also because of the checking on the top and the shrinkage of the logo in the headstock, which would suggest it's older than 9 years old. Wide binding at the cut away, and the warranty card (which was in the case) says "Gibson will celebrate 100 years in 1994," which falls short of proving anything, but I'd like to think they updated the boilerplate on their warranty cards more frequently than what this would suggest if it was in the case of an 06.

The sin of it all is that the pre-pack checklist was in the case, but the person filling it out may as well have done it in crayon. The date is either 4/23/96 or 4/23/06. Model number is LPCSBGNH1. Fret board inlays are tinted greenish and it does say Les Paul Model on the headstock, and has the Classic truss rod cover. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

DSC_8355.jpg

DSC_8356.jpg

DSC_8357.jpg

DSC_8358.jpg

DSC_8359.jpg

DSC_8361.jpg

warrcard.jpg

Hi there SPHR.

Yup, rct nailed it with his reply. 6 = 1996; 06 = 2006.

As far as the Model Number goes it would appear to be Les Paul Classic (Sixty?) Bullion Gold Nickel Hardware and the '1' denotes first-grade stock - i.e. not a factory 'second'.

Everything else points to 1996 as well (although I might mention that, obviously, it says Les Paul CLASSIC on the headstock and not Les Paul MODEL as you state in the post).

Nice guitar.

Pick Long and Prosper!

P.

Hi there SPHR.

Yup, rct nailed it with his reply. 6 = 1996; 06 = 2006.

As far as the Model Number goes it would appear to be Les Paul Classic (Sixty?) Bullion Gold Nickel Hardware and the '1' denotes first-grade stock - i.e. not a factory 'second'.

Everything else points to 1996 as well (although I might mention that, obviously, it says Les Paul CLASSIC on the headstock and not Les Paul MODEL as you state in the post).

Nice guitar.

Pick Long and Prosper!

P.

Thank you kindly and mea culpa on the "model" versus "classic" designation. I appreciate the feedback and information!

Archived