Gibson Brands Forums

Genesis Double Cut

rednefceleb

I have an Epi Genesis on the way. After buying an Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus last year, I believe that I can see the basically same or very similar build quality in the Genesis. I have never player Probucker 2 or 3 pickups, but am relying on the many reviews comparing them to the PAF of yesteryear. I own some Gibsons that have PAF's. Great Blues pickup for my style. The neck as well, has the look that my 1960 Tribute + has. I started playing Gibson modified Dble. Cuts in the 60's. I have since then preferred the double cut. I do hope that the Genesis neck is deep set with a long tenon. Since my 1960 double cut L.P.Jr. slipped about a foot landing on the shag carpet very gently. The neck popped out as many old double cut set-ins do. I got the deal of the century on my Genesis (Midnight Sapphire) @ $199.00 + Cal. tax. I always search out the blems, open boxes, straight up damaged, etc. gems. I love guitars, workin' on 'em, playin, 'em and anything that A man can do with an electric guitar. Last Comment:: Epiphone guitars have come up plenty since the 1990's. Our store's Epi Rep was embarrassed to come in. He should be proud now! Hate to mention another brand on Epi's forum, but am lookin' to score a bargain priced Ibanez Artist. They started out as a good unit, and keep the faith. ANY REVIEWS AND OPINIONS ON THE GENESIS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!.

msp_sleep.gifmsp_wink.gifmsp_cool.gif

Thoughts and opinions ? Well... this is a super cool (imho), fine electric guitar. Just look at it.... ph34r.gifwub.gifmellow.gif. The "play-ability" of the Epiphone Genesis electric guitar is great, sounds like an electric guitarunsure.gifsmile.gif. It has a shape similar to the Gretsch Jetmsp_ohmy.gif. I wonder what name "Genesis" might refer to ? A double cut Les Paul ? Or, has this guitar "generated" into something which is somewhat similar to the Gretsch....??? What do you believe the name "Genesis" means, relative to this particular Epiphone guitars model name ? The dark cherry flamed veneer looks sharp too, to me. And, as you have stated...I do believe that you are right on with your comment about the present quality of Epiphone guitars. Epiphone is presently manufacturing some really cool guitars...right now.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Designer/Genesis-Deluxe-PRO.aspx

• 2 months later...

I have an Epi Genesis on the way. After buying an Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus last year, I believe that I can see the basically same or very similar build quality in the Genesis. I have never player Probucker 2 or 3 pickups, but am relying on the many reviews comparing them to the PAF of yesteryear. I own some Gibsons that have PAF's. Great Blues pickup for my style. The neck as well, has the look that my 1960 Tribute + has. I started playing Gibson modified Dble. Cuts in the 60's. I have since then preferred the double cut. I do hope that the Genesis neck is deep set with a long tenon. Since my 1960 double cut L.P.Jr. slipped about a foot landing on the shag carpet very gently. The neck popped out as many old double cut set-ins do. I got the deal of the century on my Genesis (Midnight Sapphire) @ $199.00 + Cal. tax. I always search out the blems, open boxes, straight up damaged, etc. gems. I love guitars, workin' on 'em, playin, 'em and anything that A man can do with an electric guitar. Last Comment:: Epiphone guitars have come up plenty since the 1990's. Our store's Epi Rep was embarrassed to come in. He should be proud now! Hate to mention another brand on Epi's forum, but am lookin' to score a bargain priced Ibanez Artist. They started out as a good unit, and keep the faith. ANY REVIEWS AND OPINIONS ON THE GENESIS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!.

I bought my Genesis when I was looking for a cheap humbucker-loaded guitar to experiment with C-standard tuning.

Looking at Epi Dots, Wilshires, Pauls, SGs, for under $500, nothing even came close to the Genesis, for me.

I'll say for a cheaper, Chinese-made guitar, it's amazing.

Main issues:

1. Head stock design and tuning peg placement causes some of the strings to meet past the nut en route to the pegs.

2. As typical of a lot of cheaper guitars, it really needs a fret dressing, leveling and in some cases for the frets to be seated down properly to really achieve gig/studio worthiness for my eye.

Otherwise, what a cracking Les Paul style guitar.

Main wins:

1. Upper fret access

2. Unique Epiphone design, not a Gibson wannabe

3. Beautiful fit and finish for the money

4. Great pickups for such a cheap guitar

5. Great neck profile if you love a slim-taper (a little too D-ish for my taste though)

genesisdeluxeproltded_zps3070f6f4.jpg

Well, never played one but it sure is a nice looking axe, rednefceleb. What I do know is that my new Epi ES339 (my avatar) is a very nice guitar. I would imagine that the Genesis model would be of at least similar quality. I've got a few gigs on the 339 and it has been very good in terms of tone and tuning stability. It's proving to be a great guitar and not needing to add, "for the money". It's a good guitar, period.

The Alnico Classic Pro pups have very nice tone, so I'm thinking that the well-reviewed ProBuckers must sound great too, they are touted to be very PAF-like in sound.

I really like the look of the Genesis neck with those classic inlays. The Midnight Sapphire finish looks beautiful as well. In short, a lot of guitar for not a lot of money. [thumbup]

Looking forward to a followup when you do receive it!

Edited to add;

Like all new guitars,(including even higher priced ones), as jc1funk mentioned, it will need a good setup with all the required adjustments and tweaks which on a new guitar should be free. That is what they ALL need to be giggable quality players.

• 2 weeks later...

By using a small block of wood and rubbing compound I treat ea. fret to a refining between string changes. The frets start to look and play much better. I also use a drop of 3-in-one oil and sparsely treat all of the rosewood with just that one drop. Just enough to lightly coat the wood. Then I lightly blot it with a paper towel. The next morning I use a soft cloth and rub it all out one more time. Then I polish the guitar body with Novus #1 polish. Best stuff I have ever used. On my '58 Les Paul Jr. I use the dark version of Old English. Also, I learned from a luthier to quickly cover a chip of lacquer that leaves a bright maple or light spot, use a felt tip marker and fill in the void well. Wait about a month to be sure it does not fade thus requiring a second application). To seal off the edges of the chip from traveling, and chipping farther, apply clear finger nail polish. I have used 2 or 3 light coats to build up the "low spot" of the void. It's not a lacquer stik, but it works.

Archived