Gibson Brands Forums

Fret Buzz/Action Problem

badguitarist91

I'm real sorry if this has come up in here before, but I don't know wether or not it has. My 1990 Gibson Les Paul Studio is having some SERIOUS fret buzz problems. I looked down the neck to see if it was bowed. It was a little bit, but I heard it was good to have an ever so slight bend in the neck. So I kind of dismissed that as the root of the problem. So my next course of action was to de-tune the guitar and raise the action. I've found a spot were the fret buzz is ALMOST gone. But the thing is I can't get any good pinch harmonics. Plus the stings feel way to damn high off the fret board. The action has always been lower, but also I've always gotten some proper pinches. So I was wondering, what is a good height for the action and pinch harmonics? Should I just buck up and take it to a tech? Also, how do I find a Pro Guitar Tech?

P.S. I measured the height off the metal of the 12 fret and it was 4cm, too high? Of course help is always greatly appreciated.

You know, it's very hard to diagnose over the internet. Does it buzz the entire length of the fretboard or just certain frets and strings? Are you saying it was 4cm too high or asking if 4cm is too high? Either way, 4cm is high!

IMO, a $50-$60 set-up by a pro would be a good investment.

You know' date=' it's very hard to diagnose over the internet. Does it buzz the entire length of the fretboard or just certain frets and strings? Are you saying it was 4cm too high or asking if 4cm is too high? Either way, 4cm is high!

IMO, a $50-$60 set-up by a pro would be a good investment.[/quote']

I was asking if it was to high. It is 4 cm off the fret. The buzz is all up and down.

Ah. My brother Arkansan.

With the recent changes in climate and temps you guitar may be suffering from climatitus.

It's not terminal.

Your fretboard may be pinching the frets.

A slight truss rod adjustment may be the doctors orders.

Put your action back where it was working best for you prior to the buzz.

Get a cotton cloth and jack the neck and fretboard to generate some heat and check your bow and relief.

Ah. My brother Arkansan.

With the recent changes in climate and temps you guitar may be suffering from climatitus.

It's not terminal.

Your fretboard may be pinching the frets.

A slight truss rod adjustment may be the doctors orders.

Put your action back where it was working best for you prior to the buzz.

Get a cotton cloth and jack the neck and fretboard to generate some heat and check your bow and relief.

Hell yeah, brother. Nice to meet you. I really appreciate the tips. Should I use some kind of moisturizing solution too, or is moisture apart of the problem?

I've been playing seriously for almost two years now, so I'm still kinda new to playing and guitars in general. I'm just now trying setup my guitars myself. Those jerks at the shop aren't doing things right. I drop the guitar off for the day, I tell them to set it up and change the strings. Simple right? They change the strings, tune it, shine it and occasionally set the intonation. I get it back, the truss rod is still bowed and the frets still buzz so to hell with them.

Old English Lemon oil works fine for the fretboard.

There are other products out there more specific for the rosewood.

If you're near Hot Springs go see Guido.

And go to Longshots for a beer.

Again thanks brother. I'll make sure to check out both when I get a chance. If I ever see you in Longshots' date=' I'll buy you round. Deal?

i say just bring it to a guitar tech if all else fails. $30-50 aint bad to get it where u want it to be.

That's what I'm thinking. That will be my Plan B.

I it just me or 4cm is just too much and kind of impossible? 4mm on the other hand' date=' is a little too much but possible. Are you sure you have 4cms in there? If so the guitar might be damaged beyond repair.[/quote']

I measured with a regular ruler. Beyond repair? Don't tell me that **** bro, that would just kill me. The nut does have this weird little thing. Like the string has rubbed at the side of the notch that it normally falls into and made another notch almost right next to it. Should I just hawk the guitar and get another one? It is an all original White 1990 Les Paul Studio, I really don't want to change that and ruin the resale value.

take it to the best tech you can find in the area. sounds like you need a new nut and setup. cutting nuts properly is not for the faint of heart so be open to spend a lil bread. 60 bucks is kind of a going rate from the real pro guys. I pay $60 for just the nut and $25 more for the setup that follows. But I am very fortunate to be as close to Nashville's "A" guy as I am. I have made the mistake of trying to save money before....I'll not do that again.

My guess is the neck is really bowed and you have a nut problem. That, along with the fact you jacked up the bridge to get rid of the buzz, has resulted in the really high action.

A string wouldn't have made its own slot right next to an existing slot unless you strung it incorrectly. If the string wasn't seated correctly in the existing nut it could have--I guess--started to cut into the nut.

I am sure it can be fixed.

Can you post some photos of the nut, the action and the bridge height?

My guess is the neck is really bowed and you have a nut problem. That' date=' along with the fact you jacked up the bridge to get rid of the buzz, has resulted in the really high action.

A string wouldn't have made its own slot right next to an existing slot unless you strung it incorrectly. If the string wasn't seated correctly in the existing nut it could have--I guess--started to cut into the nut.

I am sure it can be fixed.

Can you post some photos of the nut, the action and the bridge height?[/quote']

I got a ruler, flipped it on the cm side and counted four notches. So yeah, thats my mistake, not 4 cm, it's four notches on the cm side of the ruler. I guess that makes it 4 mm? I have never personally strung it. So the nut problem is nothing that I have done to it. I have taken it to the shop one time since I got it. I'm not the original owner. I bought it on ebay a few months back for $815 from a guy in Kentucky. I haven't had any problems with it till now. I say it is an all original 1990 Les Paul Studio but, I'm questioning that now. It has locking strap buttons. It came to me like that, and the original buttons weren't included. Does this change it being all original. Should I just get this guitar re-done to make it look new? I actually thought about getting it re-done when I first got it.

Pictures of the action:

104_2228.jpg

104_2227.jpg

104_2226.jpg

Video of the "nut problem":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQfrajlVsfY

The pic in the middle definitely looks a bowed neck. If you don't feel comfortable adjusting your truss rod, you should take it to someone competent. The rod needs tightening to counteract that bow. Then, with the neck straight, you'll be able to set your neck play-ably low and still avoid fret buzz. If there is still buzz, you might need a new nut as well. All told it isn't that big of a deal - less than $100 unless you can do all or some of it yourself.

The pic in the middle definitely looks a bowed neck. If you don't feel comfortable adjusting your truss rod' date=' you should take it to someone competent. The rod needs tightening to counteract that bow. Then, with the neck straight, you'll be able to set your neck play-ably low and still avoid fret buzz. If there is still buzz, you might need a new nut as well. All told it isn't that big of a deal - less than $100 unless you can do all or some of it yourself.[/quote']

I definitely can't change the nut myself, I might be able to do the other myself. I just don't have a truss rod tool.

I would keep the strap locks. I would get her setup and cleaned up and she will play great. She is definitely a keeper.

And you will shocked when she is setup properly. It will be like night and day.

I would send her to a tech for the first setup. I wouldn't screw around with it, especially since you don't seem to be that well-versed in the art/science of setups. She needs some professional love and care.

I would keep the strap locks. I would get her setup and cleaned up and she will play great. She is definitely a keeper.

And you will shocked when she is setup properly. It will be like night and day.

I would send her to a tech for the first setup. I wouldn't screw around with it' date=' especially since you don't seem to be that well-versed in the art/science of setups. She needs some professional love and care. [/quote']

Yeah, sounds good. I just want to learn to do it myself because the only guys around here that can do it, jip me every damn time. Now to find a pro tech to do the work.

The neck could have swelled up. Have you have humid/wet weather lately? All my guitars have really frekin low action so when the weather changes my necks swell up.

Brother, I live in Arkansas. If you don't like the weather here, wait five minutes,....... it'll change. One day, about month ago, it was 65 one day and the next there was and inch of solid ice on every car in town.

Archived