Gibson Brands Forums

NGD...Southern Jumbo 12 fret

Slinky1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who is Fuller's ?

Is that in Houston, Texas ?

Yes. Fuller's Vintage Guitars, Houston. They periodically commission special runs from Gibson, including my "1943 Southern Jumbo" (as the label says). Mine has the wider "Luthier's Choice" neck, with a nut width of 1.78" (45.2mm).

Good.....I know where they are at.

I was down there with a buddy looking at 335's and spotted a Kossoff Les Paul...it scared me..had not been too long since I got a R9 at Guitar Resurrection in Austin.

Did not even look at acoustics while there.....darn

nid2007, man! This neck on the SJ is so very comfortable.

The frets!

The frets feel very wide, but very comfortable. I love this guitar. I believe it is my number 1. This guitar is me. This guitar is very comfortable strumming, finger picking and flat picking.

I can not say enough good things about this SJ. I've looked it over pretty good,not with mirror in sound hole though, and the fit and finish is outstanding. Believe it or not, the set up was awesome straight out of the box. The action was very low, but no buzzing. Strums like a champ.

I am very happy with my new Southern Jumbo. Worth every penny to me.

So is your Gibson J-15 Walnut your #2 or what is ???

It's hard to call any of my guitars #2 now. I have a J-200 also that I love dearly. I also have a nice Guild D-35.

I played the J-15 almost exclusively since I got it last February, before that I played the D-35 and the J-200 about the same. I think I have a nice little collection, they are all very different from one another.

Yeah, the Southern Jumbo is really "me" though. I will never sale any of them. The J-15 is a very good guitar.

The Southern Jumbo and J-200 are probably my main guitars for the style I play.

Hi guys!

A comment if I may and then some important questions for me;

I'm intrigued by this new 12 fret Southern jumbo and have been learning about it through research. Turns out that Gibson makes many, many versions of this thing and that's why everyone sees it online in a different configuration (red spruce, Sitka spruce, pick-up, no pick-up, name...). You're all right!

I see a couple of folks here who own this 12 fret Southern Jumbo and I notice that they say they "like" it but don't seem overly enthusiastic in their praise. To those folks, honestly, is better than say a j45 Southern Jumbo True Vintage or something similar? I mean, is it anything special beyond a J45 with Adi top?

Also, I'm really on the fence about this guitar or a Hummingbird (actually, a Country Western which is basically a hummingbird). For those who have heard the 12 fret Southern Jumbo, which guitar would pick if you had to go in front of people and sing a Dylan type song?

Thanks much,

Grad

Hello Grad, when I got my Southern Jumbo 12 fret, a Hummingbird TV was in the mix as well. I love my Southern Jumbo. I would definitely recommend it.

The Hummingbird TV is a great one too. I prefer the Southern Jumbo for Dylan stuff.

Now that I've quenched my desire for a Southern Jumbo and a 12 fret, a Hummingbird TV may not be too far behind.

Nid2007,

As much as I love my SJ 12 fret, And I believe it is "the one" for me, it's hard to beat that J-15. If you are wanting to save some money, get the J-15.

I love my J-15. The neck on the two feel very similar. I measured the nut width on the SJ 12 fret it was 1.750 inches. The J-15 is, according to Gibson is 1.725. Very small difference. The SJ does seen a tad wider.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

The SJ is a strumming machine.

Hi guys, I posted a comment on another discussion but not sure if anyone visits that one any more. Anyway, I've learned that this Gibson 12 fret S.J. is made in many versions and so you will find it with Adi top & Sitka top, pick-up & no pick-up, name changes, and all combinations.

I'm planning on buying a Gibson now and I'm torn between the Hummingbird (actually the Country Western which is the same) and this 12 fret. The reason for considering this 12 fret is 1) it's gorgeous! and 2) I'm so curious about the sound. I do not care for the sound of the J-45 so will I be disappointed with this 12fret? The j-200 is abit too dark sounding for me also. Thoughts?

Hi guys, I posted a comment on another discussion but not sure if anyone visits that one any more. Anyway, I've learned that this Gibson 12 fret S.J. is made in many versions and so you will find it with Adi top & Sitka top, pick-up & no pick-up, name changes, and all combinations.

I'm planning on buying a Gibson now and I'm torn between the Hummingbird (actually the Country Western which is the same) and this 12 fret. The reason for considering this 12 fret is 1) it's gorgeous! and 2) I'm so curious about the sound. I do not care for the sound of the J-45 so will I be disappointed with this 12fret? The j-200 is abit too dark sounding for me also. Thoughts?

Grad--If you don't like the J45 sound, then I have my doubts as to whether you will like the SJ 12 fretter, although the 12 frets to the body would change the tone a bit from the 14 fretter.

Have you seen this?

Maybe it will help.

Oh my.... I am so close to pulling the trigger on this model... I am such a fan of 12 frets, and I love the small sunburst pattern..

I have never bought an NEW acoustic before.. Always buy used, always... But this one is really getting to me.. Man oh man..

Grad--If you don't like the J45 sound, then I have my doubts as to whether you will like the SJ 12 fretter, although the 12 frets to the body would change the tone a bit from the 14 fretter.

Have you seen this?

Maybe it will help.

Yes, I have seen this video. Here' my problem with this video; if you listen to it and compare it to the J-45 video (which is very close in model but with the change of fretboard length of course) there is a huge difference in sound! What I'm saying is that something is not right. It's as if different mics were used to record the demos, but that's not the case. The two guitars are so far different from each other in these demos that it's hard to have faith in the sound of either one. Try it.

So, I wonder what the people who own both or have played both feel the comparison is like. And again, since I don't particularly care for the J-45 sound next to the Hummingbird, this 12 fret model may be a different matter?

Yes, I have seen this video. Here' my problem with this video; if you listen to it and compare it to the J-45 video (which is very close in model but with the change of fretboard length of course) there is a huge difference in sound! What I'm saying is that something is not right. It's as if different mics were used to record the demos, but that's not the case. The two guitars are so far different from each other in these demos that it's hard to have faith in the sound of either one. Try it.

So, I wonder what the people who own both or have played both feel the comparison is like. And again, since I don't particularly care for the J-45 sound next to the Hummingbird, this 12 fret model may be a different matter?

it's not that it has a shorter fret board. the entire neck is set deeper into the body and the bridge is further from the sound hole (deeper into the open area of the bracing pattern). that's why they sound so different... not a shorter neck

-Keith

It's been a month since I've had my Southern Jumbo.

I love it more everyday. Very light, very resonant and fit and finish is spectacular.

I must be a very lucky man, 3 of my 4 Gibsons are absolute killer guitars. The fourth is my Blues King, a very nice guitar, I just don't care for small body guitars.

I don't know about the "dud" factor, but I love my guitars.

I really feel that Gibson is making their best guitars ever.

I've been looking for one of these, it is weird that the specs are all over the place. Has anyone played a Martin D28 Authentic 1931 12 fretted, if so how does it compare? I've had a Hummingbird and an Advanced Jumbo, how would the tone compare to these two models?

I've been looking for one of these, it is weird that the specs are all over the place. Has anyone played a Martin D28 Authentic 1931 12 fretted, if so how does it compare? I've had a Hummingbird and an Advanced Jumbo, how would the tone compare to these two models?

they aren't really different specs. the initial info sent out to dealers was wrong. Most posted it and never made the correction.

-Keith

Count me in. I ordered one of these and it'll be here the first of the week. Slinky, I hold you and a few others around here responsible for this impulsive purchase. Oh, and that Acoustic Letter dude on YouTube with his "this is the best I've heard" review. Man, I've heard some fine things said about this 12 fret SJ, so we'll see. Here's my actual guitar. I might consider removing the pickguard since I play with my bare fingers. I could always add it back.

post-71581-085610500 1429386615_thumb.jpg

You know what "FBeard"? I don't feel bad at all for being partly responsible, lol!

I cant't wait to hear what you think of your new Southern Jumbo Special. I only hope you can enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine. I love my particular SJ12f. It is very light, very resonant and has a great depth of tone.

I feel really lucky, must have got a good one.

Good luck "FBeard", can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Slinky

Archived