Gibson Brands Forums

2014 LPJ Paint Type

There may be a thread on this so I apologize if so. I have not been able to find out what kind on paint or stain is used on the a LPJ 2013 I have the white. If anyone know this or know where I can get this information I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

Hello Jeff and welcome to the Forums!

Gibson uses nitro-cellulose exclusively on it's guitars.

As far as the brands of the finishing materials are concerned, they are not public.

Rumours say they are using Valspar nitro-cellulose lacquer.

Best wishes... Bence

Gibson uses nitro-cellulose exclusively on it's guitars.

Best wishes... Bence

The Gold Top finish on non-historics is an exception. The clear-coated Gold Top models are featuring a transparent nitro finish on top.

Hello Capmaster!

I meant that the lacquer used by Gibson is nitro-cellulose exclusively. No other kind of lacquer is used (poly-urethane, etc.). Regardless it's a solid colour, or a transparent top-coat of natural, or translucent guitars.

Excuse me, if I wasn't clear enough.

The stains again, who knows what brand they are.

Cheers... Bence

I meant that the lacquer used by Gibson is nitro-cellulose exclusively. No other kind of lacquer is used (poly-urethane, etc.). Regardless it's a solid colour, or a transparent top-coat of natural, or translucent guitars.

Cheers... Bence

Tow pals of mine own each one satin 1960s Tribute Gold Top LP with something different from nitro on the tops.

You also may refer to the link herein showing what's beneath the clear coat: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/109192-quality-of-maple-under-gold-top-les-paul/page__view__findpost__p__1485136

Archived