Gibson Brands Forums

2013 SG ORIGINAL DEFECTIVE MAESTRO HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Ebhaugen

Hey Fellas!

I picked up a very nice 2013 SG Original from a fella on Craigslist this weekend.

I checked it out thoroughly before I bought it, neck angle, binding, headstock twist, cracks, etc. It seemed solid. The one thing I thought was weird was that the Maestro arm/angle was cocked so far back that you have to loosen the arm to swing it around, then tighten it again. I've had plenty of other guitars with Maestros, and none of them do that. I thought to myself, "hmmm well that's odd, but I'm sure I'll be able to get a replacement for it from Gibson." WRONG!

I've called Gibson 3 times now and the response I'm getting is - because I'm not the original owner they won't even SELL me a replacement part.

It's like buying an expensive used car with a bad steering wheel and the dealer telling you that you can't have a replacement steering wheel.

Is there anyone of this forum who is a gibson dealer who would be willing to help me out?? I recognize that I'm not the original owner, and maybe I shouldn't have purchased the guitar. But it's still under warranty and I have all the case candy, just not the original receipt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

[scared] Seriously? [crying]

I don't get it either. How would I benefit from buying the part from them? Are they afraid I'm going to go into business for myself?

Every other guitar company sells replacement parts for their product. How they could refuse to sell a replacement part for a DEFECTIVE part is beyond me!

I don't get it either. How would I benefit from buying the part from them? Are they afraid I'm going to go into business for myself?

Every other guitar company sells replacement parts for their product. How they could refuse to sell a replacement part for a DEFECTIVE part is beyond me!

I really don't get that. A reputable Gibson dealer should be able to help you out.

You'll probably continue to have a hard time dealing with Gibson since you aren't the original owner for warranty coverage.

I remember CB (Charlie Brown) had an issue with his Original lyre Maestro - as I recall it was a factory parts error and Gibson replaced it. CB was the original owner. Maybe he'll post here, or you could do a PM. You might try to swap for a replacement through an authorized repair/shop.

But again, this was a known issue with some of those lyres.

Wow...I wish you the best! It's a shame...I can understand from a business point of view; the concern over unscrupulous people dealing in Gibson genuine parts, but I also feel for you, and other owners of used guitars that are in need of parts to be able to enjoy their instruments...

I used to own a G&L Legacy (Leo Fender's last company; the Legacy was a strat style guitar, for those who don't know). I mistakenly left my Legacy on a stand while doing a stage change where multiple bands were playing one evening. No stage management and someone in too much of a hurry knocked my guitar over. It was an older style three bolt neck and a crack developed eminating from one of the mounting holes.

I went to a local G&L authorized dealer, told him I was the second owner and what had happened. A day later he calls me and here was the deal; G&L would replace the neck at a cost of $125.00!! The hitch was, I had to have the dealer ship the guitar to them and they would mount the neck. I had to pay shipping both ways. I was ASSURED by the dealer that G&L was informed that I was not the original owner. Altogether, it was under $200.00 for a new neck...birdseye maple no less!! Pretty cool- but there was NO WAY G&L was going to ship out ANY parts- probably for the same reason Gibson won't.

Also, it took 6 weeks for the guitar to "turn around" back to me. I was satisfied...especially because a good friend that had an original '70 Telecaster lent me his guitar so I could do my gigs for the rest of the summer!

And yes- I learned that on any stage break-down, guitar goes in the case 1st thing! No exceptions!

Best wishes to you for a good outcome...

Brian

EDIT- I should add this was 1998...but still it was a phenominal price for a replacement neck from the manufacturer...

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Called my local Guitar Center today to see if they could help me. They said they would reach out to gibson. No word back yet.

Looks like I may be able to get an all parts replacement, and maybe the pretty Gibby cover will fit over it.

Or, I could just leave it alone. One benefit of the malfunction is that the bar sits perfectly flat to the guitar when it's swung back. So I can open and close the case without hitting it. Hey, that's a silver lining! Other Maestros I've had would detune the guitar every time I closed the case!

Sorry, that you're experiencing Maestro troubles. Here is what I went through. It was a new guitar, just purchased,

they had a "batch" (apparently, according to Gibson) of "Springs" in the long Maestro's. Well...you'll see what all

was involved, by viewing the link below.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/97368-new-lyre-maestro-questonconcern/

Good Luck, on your's.

CB

Archived