Gibson Brands Forums

J15 Cleaning

brixa

I would say yes. I use Kyser Lem-oil. Remember less is more. Just enough to nourish, and no more. I do mine only about once a year, or maybe if the fret board actually looks and feels dry, twice. But I never apply it if the fret board does not look and feel dried out.

Just 'clean' it with a clean, dry cloth, like an old cotton t-shirt. If you really feel like you NEED to use something on it, use straight up mineral spirits, and use them VERY sparingly. Less is definitely more, and barely use any at all, and work it into the wood, then after letting it sit, go back with a clean, dry cotton cloth (t-shirt again works well) and buff/wipe the board.

Personally though, given that the guitar probably isn't that old, it probably really doesn't need any conditioning, and if you play it enough the oils from your fingers will be enough to condition the board.

Lots of different approaches. More than one way to skin a cat. I wipe off energetically with a damp cloth. Let it dry. Put on Lemon Oil. Let it soak in. Wipe off and dry off with a cloth. Then I put on Gibson spray polish and wipe off. That final step is where I see the dirt come off. Don't forget to do more or less the same thing for your bridge.

But as a preventive measure- don't forget to wash your hands every time you play. Dirt you have on your fingertips will be ground into the bare wood. Acids, from some foods can cause problems over the years. And try to wipe off your fingerboard with a clean cloth after you play. And keep your nails clean and short. Sorry. I'm getting carried away. I'm OCD, obviously.

Archived