Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Karloff

Fishin' ???

Jaxon50 & I referenced fishing a couple times in GG's Bass rig thread, which has had me thinking all day, that its time to break out the tackle box, clean and hone some hooks and re-string the reels. anybody else love fishing like I do ? if so, what kind of fishing, gear...

Fly Fishing, in Yellowstone. With a guide. I have no gear, they bring it. I've never caught anything of note, but that isn't why we go!

Dinner after at Old Faithful or Lake maybe, throw down a buncha Teton Amber, our favorite beer. That, my fishing friend, is fukking living, can't wait for October!

Seriously, I admire fishermen, particularly fly fishers. Not easy to do, takes patience and practice.

rct

My grandfather used to take me fly fishing for trout a lot as a kid on NC mountain streams. I was really into it and even tied my own flies for years, matched hatches, waders with felt souls, the whole nine yards. But after my grandfather died, I lost all of my contacts, so I stopped. Thinking about taking it up again.

YEA!! I do many Largemouth Bass,Pike,rivers/lakes here in SE Mich,,many places to go around here,,My fav worm/bait is the Green rubber worm,hooked texas style,,and the largemouth+ pike love it! Be safe out there!

Jaxon50 & I referenced fishing a couple times in GG's Bass rig thread, which has had me thinking all day, that its time to break out the tackle box, clean and hone some hooks and re-string the reels. anybody else love fishing like I do ? if so, what kind of fishing, gear...

Spring cleaning the tackle box in prep for a new season is special thing. Lots of lakes and ponds around here provide relaxing fishing fun.

When I was younger I used to love to lake fish in Arkansas. Bream and crappie on lake Atkins. We'd catch a mess and my girlfriend at the time who later became my wife and is now my ex wife's grandmother would fry them up using Aunt Jemima pancake batter. Her grandfather filleted those little dudes. My ex's uncle and I usually spent the whole day fishing and drinking coors.

Once, probably enebriated, we were coming back to base and lost the basket containing 32 bream. We were devastated. To try to rescue things I threw in a cricket on a bream hook and caught a 6 pound bass! Large mouth not a Gibson EBO. I think I can find the photo of it.

I used to go a lot when I was young and we had a boat. The good fishing holes are on the edges of the old river channels. The only non man-made lake in Tennessee is Reelfoot.

All I really have right now is a canoe - haven't been in many years. Still got the old boat but it's in really bad shape and needs a motor. Bank fishing is mostly bream and perch.

Have to be careful catching them crappie cause they have a real soft mouth. Best gear is a cane pole and minnows and man, are they delicious!

We have a lot of game fish; bass-lg/sm/stripe, rockfish, walleye, pike, lake trout, catfish and even gar and eels and bunch of others.

They've been working hard to keep the Asian carp out - so far, so good.

Hope you catch a mess of 'em, Karloff!

We do a lot of fishing here. All big game from a boat out at sea. Either 200lb or 130lb from the chair or 80, 50 and 30lb stand up.

Mostly big tuna and shark. Sometimes we come in shallow and go after the pink snapper. They're the best here.

We mostly go out to the edge of the continental shelf where it goes from around 1,000ft to all of a sudden the 6,000 or 8,000ft mark. Great upwellings there. 'Here there be monsters!'.

lol

Hello!

I remember when my granddad first took me fishing.

Mid-80s, Volgograd, Russia.

The river Volga was so clean, I could see the bed of the river. For the first time ever, I have catched 18 fishes. The next day 40! I don't know what they were, approximately 8 inch long (small) fishes. It was a good exercise for building confidence for a beginner. But, - still - I didn't got into fishing. I never did it since then. Even though, it's a national hobby, here in Hungary.

Cheers... Bence

when i was a kid, i'd fish for what ever bit. by late teens, it was strictly largemouth bass & pickerel. last ten years, i've gotten into surf fishing,drive out onto Assateague beach. love it. just sit there, watching the line & the ladies. always wanted to get into fly fishing. be a real life norman rockwell painting, standing out in my waders, red flannel shirt, vest, pipe ... cussing cuz im not doing it right,lol.

i'd especially love to go fishing for something that they have to strap you in to chair for, like MP mentioned.

Tarpon fishing has to be awesome as well.

Bass fishing, i prefer spinner baits. or a jig & pig. rubber/plastic worm, especiallt motor oil color w/ texas rig is great but i dont always have the patience for it. yep, time to get things ready ...

YES!! I've got the itch now that the sun is appearing regularly and the temps are becoming more moderate! Plus, last weekend there was a large outdoor show locally- saw some hand-made fly rods that I drooled over!

My fav all-time fishing is largemouth on our local ponds, lakes and streams. There are two state gameland ponds locally that produce native 11-14" up to 20" largemouths. Fishing mostly using ultra light tackle and plastics.

I'm new to fly fishing (3 years); I took lessons and got hooked-pun intended! I went to a Cabelas 4 years ago, walked into the "Bargain Cave" and came out with a Temple Forks (Texas / imported) rod. Knew nothing about fly fishing except I didn't know how to do it. Turns out I got a good rod-according to my instructor. (He used it for many of the class demos). So I'm still learning and loving it. NOTHING like being on the stream in my chest waders, sun shining, late afternoon, reading the hatch (trying too). I agree-RCT- THIS IS LIVIN'!!

Brian

Yea, Lazy Ike is on the line!

steve

yep, I've got a couple Lazy Ike's. Heddon Torpedo's, Hula Poppers... and the good ol' Dardevle spoon...

...and my girlfriend at the time who later became my wife and is now my ex wife's grandmother

Holy crap things are complex these days.

rct

... my girlfriend at the time who later became my wife and is now my ex wife's grandmother would fry them up using Aunt Jemima pancake batter. Her grandfather filleted those little dudes. My ex's uncle and I usually spent the whole day fishing...

You're right, rct. I'm just wondering what her cousins think about all of this. And if she was such a good catch, did he ever mount her?

YEA!! I do many Largemouth Bass,Pike,rivers/lakes here in SE Mich,,many places to go around here,,My fav worm/bait is the Green rubber worm,hooked texas style,,and the largemouth+ pike love it! Be safe out there!

What city are you near, brother. I'm from the thumb area.

I have fished for walleye under the Blue Water Bridge, but most of my fishing as a kid was someone securing a row boat and we'd head out on Lake Huron and catch whatever with minnows or worms. It was all throw back.

I grew up fishing every weekend... largemouth bass (plastic worms) and speckled perch (live minnows and/or spinner baits). Some of ya'll call the specks crappie I think. :rolleyes:

Since I moved to the coast it's speckled trout, flounder and redfish inshore - grouper, snapper, and lots of sharks offshore.