Gibson Brands Forums

Just got a 1984 Explorer

PB26

So I've been itching to get a guitar with EMG 81/85 and I have been unimpressed with LTD, Schecter, and similar brands. So I scooped up the 1984 and it's a very stout guitar. Nice big block of heavy wood and very nice cosmetically.

Only issue, which I knew from trying it, is there are 5-6 really awful fret buzz spots (I checked the neck relief and the action and it was normal). I'm going to get them dressed and maybe stick in a new nut. But otherwise, very happy with this beast of a rig!

post-67283-038344400 1426436690_thumb.jpg

First off, great looking guitar. I've never owned one but I have always loved Explorers. You said in your post you don't care for esp or Schector. I was just wondering what it is you don't like about them. I have one of each and really enjoy playing both of them. The esp is an F250 with passive EMG's and a Floyd Rose. The Schector is a C-1 Hellraiser with active EMG's and through body ferrules for a tailpiece. Both are kind of one trick pony's I guess but they are both well built guitars.

No knock on LTD or Schecter, and actually there was one Schecter I tried once that I thought was alright (I think it was a Black Jack or something like that). A few of the LTDs I handled had finish issues -- the headstock looked like it was covered in wallpaper and the fancy finish was starting to peel up right by the nut.

That black 1984 Explorer model thing looks like a very neat, cool Epiphone. I've obtained one of the recent silver colored "pro" models (not the "Thunderhorse" model) and noticed that it has a "bound" neck and body. I guess (from what I've read up on, about these Epiphone Explorer things) that a binding is somewhat unusual for these guitars. I like it, quite a lot, actually. The neck is perfect, very comfortable for me. That black one looks really sharp, to me. msp_smile.gifmsp_smile.gif

What do you all say ?msp_confused.gifeusa_think.gif

Also, that is not the appropriate case...that is the case for the "Masterbilt" acoustic thing...(made a good photo back-drop)

GEDC0360_zps9c3cca7d.jpg

masterbilt335pro_zps122f8c18.jpg

Archived